Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#301   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-20, 02:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Assume Ivor is talking about the "average" healthy person who wants to avoid common infections? There are results of studies for bone health, cancer prevention, CVD, including meta-analysis of the individual results, that show above 40ng provides more protection and some studies showed the benefits in dose response. Links to studies in this summary: https://www.chrisbeatcancer.com/vit...cancer-vitamin/. And for infections like Corona Viruses, 50 ng and above:
Quote:
Vitamin D blood levels of 50 ng/ml or higher have been found to protect against respiratory infections like influenza or corona type viruses. D3

I’ve spent almost the past decade in Ivor's "caution and toxic" zone and have never been healthier

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Oct-02-20 at 05:58.
Sponsored Links
  #302   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-20, 04:53

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Most Canadians test so low on D that it is no longer on the screening tests.
  #303   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-20, 09:00

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Most Canadians test so low on D that it is no longer on the screening tests.

Meaning its a recommended supplement.

I try to tell everyone to supplement for D3. Few are out side, everyone inside . No children out playing for the last 20 years....except my kids ( and without sunscreen).

Heard this morning members of the first damily has tested positive for Covid. Wonder what will be the treatment protovol.

Again, my endo says Vit D is a hormone. Apoarently a very important one. Its in the frontline of our immune system.

Q. If dogs and cats get covid how does vit D play a part? Both dogs and cats produce their own vit D. Eonder what is their blood level.
  #304   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-20, 10:52

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Assume Ivor is talking about the "average" healthy person who wants to avoid common infections? There are results of studies for bone health, cancer prevention, CVD, including meta-analysis of the individual results, that show above 40ng provides more protection and some studies showed the benefits in dose response. Links to studies in this summary: https://www.chrisbeatcancer.com/vit...cancer-vitamin/. And for infections like Corona Viruses, 50 ng and above:

I’ve spent almost the past decade in Ivor's "caution and toxic" zone and have never been healthier

Ditto. In addition to D3 supplements, I also spend as much time as possible in the sun. It's important to understand how to get the amount of vitamin D we require, and to ensure we supplement accordingly when sun exposure isn't possible and especially as we age.

This is an excellent, clarifying video by Dr. Renu Mahtani:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s9QEKmvLK0
This is part 3, links to parts 1 & 2 are provided for those who want more detail.

Here's a recent, short video on D3 by Rhonda Patrick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhpUoOFJ6xo
  #305   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-20, 11:29

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:

Over the past 10 years my results have been mostly borderline and caution according to his chart. I'm just going to keep on doing what I am doing. I pay for my own testing at grassroots health. That way I can leave my doctor out of the loop because the one time I told her what my D3 level was she told me it was too high and I disagree. There seem to be a wide variety of opinions on this issue but what I've been doing seems to work for me, as far as I can tell.
  #306   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-20, 12:46

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Over the past 10 years my results have been mostly borderline and caution according to his chart. I'm just going to keep on doing what I am doing. I pay for my own testing at grassroots health. That way I can leave my doctor out of the loop because the one time I told her what my D3 level was she told me it was too high and I disagree. There seem to be a wide variety of opinions on this issue but what I've been doing seems to work for me, as far as I can tell.

I did decide last year to have my regular doctor test my vit. D and, besides sticker shock from the test price, learned I was taking way too much for my needs (at 5000 a day) because my result was something like over 120. Currently relying on sunlight and may supplement in winter but not so big a dose. Lesson learned. I think Grassroots may be significantly cheaper.
  #307   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-20, 13:15

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Love her details. Look at the higher levels of D needed to suppress three types of cancers!

Quote:
This is an excellent, clarifying video by Dr. Renu Mahtani:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s9QEKmvLK0
This is part 3, links to parts 1 & 2 are provided for those who want more detail.
  #308   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-20, 17:05

I noticed that same slide...visually all those health issues and cancers responding to higher Vit D levels. Thanks Rob for linking her talk.
  #309   ^
Old Sat, Oct-03-20, 19:41

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Another article in NY Times about obesity and Covid:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/...ce=articleShare

It was the comments that made me the craziest. Such as:

Quote:
Our overly permissive culture that condones self-destructive behavior for fear of being too judgemental is to blame. Just don't eat so darn much!

Primary care physician here. Yes, we do have a good treatment for obesity. Eat less and move more. Compliance the treatment is the problem. Excuse making is a close second.

Doctors like the above (comment I posted above)?are what we need.

But some good sensible comments too, like one fellow promoting TRE and Dr. Jason Fung, or this one:

Quote:
I recently retired as a college teacher. If 10-20% of my students failed tests, I would say to them, "you need to work harder, you need to follow instructions." If 95% failed (and that is about the fail rate of your advice), I would suspect the problem lay with my instruction.

In other words, the failure lies with your advice, not the patient. Why DOESN'T your advice work? Why CAN'T your patients follow it? What can YOU do differently?

Of course the replies all say her comment is ridiculous:
Quote:
calories in vs. calories out. basic science ...

All I can say is that I’m so grateful to have found low carb, and now Dr. Jason Fung, even though I’m still obese, but 153 pounds less obese than I once was. So bummed after reading the comments to that article. I should know better than reading comments on articles of this sort!
  #310   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-20, 05:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Vitamin D is a hormone. Like Vitamin B3 is really an amino acid

The point is that all these vitamin studies established the low end, where a lack creates a poor state of health. But few have established a high level, where supplementation creates toxicity. Optimum is still not a common attitude towards "vitamins."

I found a paper which found COVID-19 has poorer outcomes the closer the poles an area was. Of course, this can be complicated by many factors.

But I long wondered if the pattern of different results in people with varied skin pigmentation has a Vitamin D factor involved. Most people in developed countries wear a lot of clothes and stay indoors. The paler the person, the more likely their ancestors were from a colder place, where descendants coped with low skin exposure in other ways.

Like the healing properties of cod liver oil.
  #311   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-20, 05:27

Quote:
All I can say is that I’m so grateful to have found low carb, and now Dr. Jason Fung, even though I’m still obese, but 153 pounds less obese than I once was. So bummed after reading the comments to that article. I should know better than reading comments on articles of this sort!
Gosh Debbie, update your stats Same (always slim) people have been commenting in the NYT on every article that hints CICO may not work for everyone, still under the spell of Jane Brody. . Really not worth your time writing a response.

Quote:
But I long wondered if the pattern of different results in people with varied skin pigmentation has a Vitamin D factor involved. Most people in developed countries wear a lot of clothes and stay indoors. The paler the person, the more likely their ancestors were from a colder place, where descendants coped with low skin exposure in other ways.
This has been noted since very early studies about Covid patients, but do we hear about in the US? . In Stockholm the Somali population was particularly hard hit, Swedes, not so much. https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m1101/rr-10. However, now Trump's treatment plan includes Vitamin D, zinc, and aspirin.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Oct-04-20 at 11:24.
  #312   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-20, 05:44

Tracked down three of those charts Dr. Mahtani used in her talk on a VitaminD wiki, posted by Grassroots Health:

https://vitamindwiki.com/Chart+of+V...ealth+June+2013
  #313   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-20, 06:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Janet, good find. I've bookmarked the site. The chart showing disease incident reduction against the two types of vitamin d measurement units, ng/ml and nmol/L is excellent and provides an easy comparison.
  #314   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-20, 09:45

A new article on Vitamin D from Medium:

https://elemental.medium.com/vitami...se-b2593e782933

Quote:
Vitamin D for Covid-19: New Research Shows Promise
Studies highlight potential life-saving benefits. But some experts aren’t convinced.

Markham Heid
2 days ago·7 min read

The study’s findings were significant — “spectacular” even, in the words of at least one expert commenter.
  #315   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-20, 15:15

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
A new article on Vitamin D from Medium:

https://elemental.medium.com/vitami...se-b2593e782933
Interesting quote from the article about a certain study:
Quote:
“I’m as excited as anyone about vitamin D, but I’m not ready to jump on the bandwagon,” says Mark Moyad, MD, the Jenkins/Pokempner director of preventive and alternative medicine at the University of Michigan Medical Center....To illustrate his point, he describes the decades of promising research that linked low vitamin D levels to bone weakness. But when, for a 2019 JAMA study, people took high daily doses of vitamin D for three years, their bones actually got weaker, not stronger. While the known risks of taking moderate amounts of vitamin D as a supplement are minimal, the JAMA study’s findings — as well as the findings of many other past vitamin studies — show that there can be unexpected and often unwanted consequences associated with supplement use.

This is the study it references:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...article/2748796
It sounds like a pretty well-designed randomized study of older adults (55-70).
Quote:
This 3-year randomized clinical trial examined the effect of 3 daily doses of vitamin D: 400 IU, 4000 IU (the National Academy of Medicine [formerly the Institute of Medicine {IOM}] tolerable upper intake level), and 10 000 IU in healthy adults aged 55 to 70 years and failed to find a positive effect of vitamin D on volumetric BMD and estimated bone strength, as measured by HR-pQCT at the radius and tibia.

Instead of the hypothesized increase, a negative dose-response relationship was observed for volumetric BMD. Using the 400-IU group as a reference point, high-dose vitamin D supplementation (10 000 IU/d) was associated with a significantly greater loss of bone.
Maybe it's studies like this one that have led some of the folks I enjoy following to say higher levels of D3 are not necessarily better. However there was no placebo group in the study, and people who had very low levels of D initially were excluded. Though this study concentrated on bone health as opposed to other possible benefits of D3 supplementation. Interesting read however.