Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 11:11

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Thumbs down Glucophage XR Recalled

I guess this is what my doctor meant when he said Glucophage and Metformin are 2 different drugs. You guys who are on this, check with your doctor!

http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/f/02.2/f0003170.htm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 11:21

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

Metformin is the generic form of Glucophage.

Glucophage XR is an extended-release form of Glucophage and is still under patent. There is no generic form of Glucophage XR currently available.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 185/170/175 Male 6 foot
BF:Who Knows/Cares
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrielee
I guess this is what my doctor meant when he said Glucophage and Metformin are 2 different drugs. You guys who are on this, check with your doctor!

http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/f/02.2/f0003170.htm

Hi Sherrielee,

Now you are getting me confused. What do these recalls have to do with Glucophage and Metformin being different drugs ??? The recall is for specific batches of Glucophage XL and that is it. If your doctor thinks that Glucophage and Metformin are different - maybe time to find a new doctor ;-)

Thanks,

Adam
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 13:06

BF:

Two doctors have told me that they are VERY similiar, but because of the XR...act on the body in different ways.

My Ortho likes the plain Metformin because it is predictable. (when it will peak and says it packs a bigger punch).

Just thought some of you might want to check the batch you have. If the strength is not what it is supposed to be, you may think that you are getting worse or something, when really...it is just weak pills!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 13:21

BF:

Believe me, I am so new to all this that I don't know too much. I was taking Metformin for a month and had an upset tummy at first. Someone suggested that I ask my doctor for GXR. He said no cause I couldn't cut them in half (I ended up on 250mg per day at the end). Also, he wanted me to take them 2 hours before meals, so that they would be peaking while I was eating. My BGL was only high at certain times of day. Doc said I didn't need a constant stream of Metformin, just at isolated times. Plus, I had just started exercising heavily...and was going too low, so he wanted me to be able to control the amount that was in my system. He is my OB-GYN for Pete's sake.

I get to see a REAL Endo next week, and have a list of questions that stretchs from Atlanta to NYC. If anyone has anything to ask....tell me cause I plan to stay until every single question on my list is answered. This is reportedly the best Diabetes Group in the Southeast...and they have their patients on LC! So, I am quite excited!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 10:28
Registered Member

Plan: high fat
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

An interesting heads up on Glucophage XR is that the generic version of the XR should be out by January 2004. I am basing this on recent info from my health insurance. They are taking Glucophage XR out of their preferred formulary starting Jan 1, the reason being the availability of generic XR.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 19:05

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:

Quote:
I was taking Metformin for a month and had an upset tummy at first. Someone suggested that I ask my doctor for GXR. He said no cause I couldn't cut them in half (I ended up on 250mg per day at the end).

In case anyone was wondering why the XR tablets shouldn't be cut in half, it's because anything that is forumated to be time-released (such as the extended release Glucophage...that's what the XR stands for) can cause an overdose if they are cut in half. When the extended release tablets are cut, this bypasses the protective coating that releases the medication slowly and could cause an overdose because the medication could then be absorbed all at one time instead of over several hours.

Quote:
An interesting heads up on Glucophage XR is that the generic version of the XR should be out by January 2004.

That's good news (depending on how you feel about generics) for those that don't have insurance and have to put out of pocket for their prescriptions. It should help cut costs dramatically.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 19:14

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
I get to see a REAL Endo next week

Good because your current doc is quite mistaken about metformin/glucophage and it's usages.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 20:17

BF:

Well, I did get my BG down to normal range and I did it using 1/2 a Metformin (250mg) cut in half twice a day. So, I don't know how I could have done that with any other drug.

Got that appointment Wed. at 2pm...wish me luck. I am so terrified. My Mother-in-law (who is a nurse) has told me that there are a lot worse things that can be wrong with me...other than Diabetes. Gotta love a woman like that?