Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 13:44

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Wow, I just read through this whole thread. Very very interesting. I recently spent a couple of months with some intestinal discomfort. My diet of choice is the blood type diet, and being type O, I should avoid wheat/gluten. But my husband was training for a ski event that occurred in March. So while with him on this I was eating some things I wouldn't normally eat, and that included a bit of wheat here and there. Anyway, I have been off gluten for about 2 weeks strictly and my system is better, but now the coffee thing. I alternate between coffee and tea in the am. I think that the days I have coffee, there is much more urgency, softer movements, yuck!
Anyway, this thread is inspiring. I am also one who is more afraid to break the ritual, but I think it's time.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 16:04

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmezak
My diet of choice is the blood type diet, and being type O, I should avoid wheat/gluten.

There has been a lot of discussion of the blood type diet here over the years. Everybody who gets the "type O" diet thinks it's great; everybody who gets the other blood type diets thinks it's garbage. The consensus: the blood type diet doesn't work, low carb does and gluten-free does.
  #138   ^
Old Mon, May-04-09, 10:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Interesting article: Caffeine Withdrawal Headache Explained: Your Brain On -- And Off -- Caffeine
The end of the article has a blurb about the effects of chronic caffeine consumption on the brain, or lack thereof. I always found that was true for me. I didn't feel like I was given a boost by caffeine, maybe because I was so habituated to it. Of course what it does do is prevent the withdrawal symptoms of fatigue and headache.
  #139   ^
Old Mon, May-04-09, 13:02

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default article

Interesting article. I wish it mentioned what one can do to alleviate that headache/blood rush to the brain. But maybe it's just that gradual weaning like you did off coffee that makes it less of a problem?
  #140   ^
Old Mon, May-04-09, 15:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I didn't actual give up caffeine, but I did give up coffee. Now I'm chugging quite a lot of tea and the odd diet soda here and there. I did a stint as caffeine free but still drank decaf coffee. I still had bowel issues so I figured it wasn't caffeine (or coffee) affecting my gut. But I think it's something other than caffeine bugging me.

I should try getting off the tea at some point.

Yes, I'd recommend gradually decreasing your caffeine before you quit. Who needs to feel sick for 3 days with withdrawal? Yuck!
  #141   ^
Old Mon, May-04-09, 19:48

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Holy smokes! This thread must have had me in mind, as I just started a caffeine cessation program today. I had zero coffee today, which is a freakin miracle for me. I drank iced yerba matte tea instead.

I believe caffeine does more harm than good. At least at the level I was using it. For a good book on this topic - and very inspiration toward getting off caffeine, I recommend the book "Caffeine Blues."

http://www.amazon.com/Caffeine-Blue...41487715&sr=8-1

One of the most interesting tings he brings up in that book is how caffeine does NOT give you energy, but rather TEMPORARY chemical stimulation. And that even if you're one of those folks who "can fall asleep right after drinking a pot of coffee" - caffeine prevents you from getting fully into the deepest and most restorative stage of sleep. I think it's called delta-2 sleep.

Thus, you wake up tired because your sleep was not nearly as restorative as nature intended it to be. So what do you do? Why you reach for a mug of Joe, of course!

Apparently even caffeine taken in the morning can interfere with deep stages of sleep at night! So cutting yourself off caffeine early in day may not be enough to keep it from messing your zzzzsss at night.

Nancy, like you I dreaded not having a steaming mug of Joe today. But it was not nearly so bad as I'd imagined. I enjoyed my iced yerba matte tea which has like a 5th the caffeine of coffee. I plan to be 100% free of caffeine by end of month.
  #142   ^
Old Mon, May-04-09, 19:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
when i gave up coffee, i switched over to tea for 2 months..
1 month was black tea, no cream..
when i finally dumped the tea, it was exciting to know that i killed off a 37 yr addiction to caffeine. it was empowering..
and when the tea went, so did the dairy addiction.

good thread, nancy.

Do you notice any improvement in your overall energy levels since quitting caffeine?
  #143   ^
Old Mon, May-04-09, 19:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Would you agree that it is easier than you thought it would be? I'm always astounded by how balky my brain is when it comes to "thinking" about change, versus actually doing it.

Ah yes...you have just articulated one of life's most important truths. That we tend to exaggerate in our minds how hard or how long something will take, that we prefer not to do.

You think, I don't want to organize my finances because it will take forever. But then one day, you just "get to it" and find it wasn't nearly as daunting a task as you'd made it out to be in your mind.

I see this principal over and over again in my life.
  #144   ^
Old Mon, May-04-09, 20:16
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

I quit caffeine last week and haven't had any problems or withdrawal. I sorta keep waiting for the bomb to drop, but it hasn't. I was having so many muscle issues and now that I'm feel better, I'm not even tempted.

Green tea is my hot beverage of choice. I suppose it helps to have a substitute.
  #145   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 14:03

Plan: Paleo+Atkins+DIY
Stats: 309/289/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 14%

Giving up coffee curbed my appetite. I think it caused my blood sugar to fluctuate. Now I am hardly ever hungry. Strange but true!
  #146   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 15:44

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLiMarie
Giving up coffee curbed my appetite. I think it caused my blood sugar to fluctuate. Now I am hardly ever hungry. Strange but true!

I think that's why Atkins disallowed it. It does the same to me.
  #147   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 05:48

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelskinny
I quit caffeine last week and haven't had any problems or withdrawal. I sorta keep waiting for the bomb to drop, but it hasn't. I was having so many muscle issues and now that I'm feel better, I'm not even tempted.

Green tea is my hot beverage of choice. I suppose it helps to have a substitute.

As long as you are drinking teas or sodas which contain caffeine, or are taking any of the pain relievers which have caffeine, you will not have withdrawal symptoms.

People who eliminate ALL sources of caffeine will have withdrawal symptoms, others will exclaim that they had no withdrawal symptoms, that quitting coffee was "easy."
  #148   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 05:56

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I've eliminated ALL sources of caffeine from my life and after the first 2 weeks I was ok. I'm feeling much better now. I drink mostly water. Sometimes I will have an herbal tea (no caffeine) with my meal.

Patrick
  #149   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 16:18

Plan: Carbs <30g/day
Stats: 131/127/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Anyone here tried "Choffy"?

I'm not sure where or even if this is still being sold, but it sounds really good. It appears to be cacao beans roasted and ground such that you can brew it in your coffeemaker.

I'm happy with my Teeccino, but I do love chocolate so this is something I think I'd like to try.

Anyone tried it? There's a review of it here: http://weheartthis.com/2009/04/21/c...ocolate-review/
  #150   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 20:17

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Free

I'm happy with my Teeccino, but I do love chocolate so this is something I think I'd like to try.

My Whole Foods carries a chocolate mint flavored Teeccino that is pretty good. I think it tastes like hot chocolate.