Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-19, 08:48

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Enjoy A Good Night’s Rest When You Adhere To Low Carb Diet

Enjoy A Good Night’s Rest When You Adhere To This Diet Regularly

https://www.ibtimes.com/enjoy-good-...gularly-2887071

Quote:
An average person needs approximately eight hours of quality sleep time every night for their body to function perfectly. In the UK, however, distractions and many other factors cause many to fall short of the required amount of sleep. If you are among those who are unable to get the required amount of sleep, making a few lifestyle changes can greatly help.

Dietary Habits

Did you know that dietary habits could help or hinder your sleep-wake cycle? Some types of diets can prevent you from getting a good night’s sleep and other types can help you get a good sleep.

According to popular belief, eating too much food can make you sleepy. That is partly true. Studies have shown that consuming high-carb meals can stop you from getting quality sleep. While high-carb diets may make you quickly feel drowsy, it may not be a restful sleep.

A high-fat diet, on the other hand, could help you get a deeper, peaceful sleep. Past studies have echoed the finding that a high-carb and low-fat diet considerably lowered sleep time when compared with a high-fat, low-carb diet. Both diets contain the same amount of calories.

The Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet

The key component of this type of diet are nuts like walnuts and almonds. The National Sleep Foundation said that these nuts contain rich amounts of melatonin, a hormone proven to regulate the sleep-wake cycle.

According to the health body, consuming these nuts can increase melatonin levels in the blood, helping you sleep more deeply. Another type of food that can promote a good, quality sleep is cheese. The National Sleep Foundation said that some types of cheese, such as cottage cheese, are high in lean protein. They are also rich in tryptophan, an amino acid that helps increase serotonin levels.

Serotonin is a chemical in the brain that promotes wellbeing and happiness. Studies have shown that low levels of this chemical can hugely contribute to insomnia. Consuming foods rich in lean protein can help you achieve a good night’s sleep.

Other high-fat, low-carb foods include fish like tuna, salmon, cod, and herring, butter, seeds like chia, flax, and sunflower, butter, and avocado. Foods like meat, which include turkey, chicken, beef, and pork, eggs, and oils like flaxseed, olive, and coconut, are also classified as high-fat, low-carb foods.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-19, 10:38

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This seems a bit misleading to me--mentions research that a lower carb diet increases sleep, but then the closest it comes to citing this research is stuff about tryptophan in cheese and melatonin in nuts.

I'm tired of nuts being pushed as a health food. It may be true, but plays into the California Walnut and Almond Board's (two separate entities that you'll see funding just about every study looking at the nuts they advocate) hands. I would have eaten them anyways, but now they're twice the price.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 21:20
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I have noticed almonds are smaller this year and don't taste as good.

As far as ketosis goes, it often keeps me awake, but I still don't feel tired with less sleep.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 22:23

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've been low carb for a long time now, but am only recently getting a good night's sleep. That's because I started taking magnesium before bedtime - which helps me get to sleep - and melatonin - which keeps me asleep.

I'm taking 10 mg of the melatonin with the magnesium. If I wake in the middle of the night & feel too awake, I take another 3 mg.

With the very small amounts of nuts & cheese that I can eat because of the carbs (as well as the more-ish feeling they give me), I wouldn't want to count on them to get me to sleep.

At any rate, I'm finally sleeping well & feeling good in the morning. I used to take an OTC sleep aid, but I got concerned about it affecting my memory & quit taking it. It was also making me feel groggy in the morning.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-19, 04:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I used to take an OTC sleep aid, but I got concerned about it affecting my memory & quit taking it. It was also making me feel groggy in the morning.

I've lost track of the number of times I've turned down Ambien, which only gives the illusion of healing sleep. What truly happens is that the person wanders around like a zombie, being a hazard to themselves and others!

And of course there's this:

Quote:
Hypnotic sleeping pills dramatically increase one’s risk of dying, even at relatively low rates of use, according to results of an observational study published in the online journal BMJ Open. The results also found that medium-to-high rates of sleeping pill use were associated with a substantial increase in the risk of developing cancer.

Sleeping Pills May Dramatically Increase Death Rate

I'm not going near the damn things!

Ketosis can create an increase in energy. In nature we should just adapt, but almost all of us live "on the clock" and can't indulge in such a health-promoting luxury. I used Dr. Jack Kruse's Circadian Rhythm Reset program:
  • amber lenses (I used reader sunglasses) after sundown
  • SLEEP MASK is essential
  • turn off the wifi at night (if you can "hear" fluorescent lights you are especially vulnerable to this kind of disruption)
  • go to bed early -- staying up past the "window" resets and now you are up for hours
  • waking up in the middle of the night and getting stuck awake is a Cortisol Resistance issue
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-19, 08:08

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I sleep fine with high carb EXCEPT I have to get up to use the bathroom one to three times a night. That need goes away with low carb so no question I do sleep better now. I do have a devil of a time with disrupted sleep while transitioning into ketosis though so it's best I just stay here. In fact, I'd say that sleep loss and to a lesser degree grouchiness are my only low carb flu symptoms while my body adjusts to ketosis.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 04:11

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Sugar and white bread tied to older women's insomnia

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-h...a-idUKKBN1YN2OQ
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-19, 06:39

BF:

I am happy to report I have progressed with my self-treatment to the point where I am reliably getting 8-9 hours every night.

I have to go to bed somewhat after sunset and it is in two halves, but I will take it. Because nothing heals like sleep.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-19, 23:23
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!

I generate "brown noise" with my desktop that helps with sleep. Likely there are apps that generate ocean sounds, rain etc. Helps if you are plagued with tinnitus too.

[linux]$ play -n synth brownnoise

https://www.mediacollege.com/audio/...rown-noise.html

https://www.bestproducts.com/tech/a...iphone-android/

Last edited by mike_d : Sun, Dec-22-19 at 23:31.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-19, 00:48

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
snip.....

Ketosis can create an increase in energy. In nature we should just adapt, but almost all of us live "on the clock" and can't indulge in such a health-promoting luxury. I used Dr. Jack Kruse's Circadian Rhythm Reset program:
  • amber lenses (I used reader sunglasses) after sundown
  • SLEEP MASK is essential
  • turn off the wifi at night (if you can "hear" fluorescent lights you are especially vulnerable to this kind of disruption)
  • go to bed early -- staying up past the "window" resets and now you are up for hours
  • waking up in the middle of the night and getting stuck awake is a Cortisol Resistance issue

I often pass tgat win dow. Or wake up and then stay up.

Definitely need a reset.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-19, 00:53

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Nuts. A problem food. Hard to eat just one. lol

The recent drought years has caused at least one producer to cut down his trees due to lack if irrigation water. Perhaps others have also stopped production. This drives up prices.

And lack of water makes for small er nuts.

Hoping to plant hazelnuts as they are native here.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-19, 06:11

BF:

I also use the BrainWaves app:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/brain...ies/id307219387

And it seems to really work!

It's for Apple devices, but typing in binaural on Youtube will give you an idea. Gotta use earbuds or headphones: that's the point.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-19, 09:05

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Hoping to plant hazelnuts as they are native here.

Native to Oregon, too, where I used to live. Until recently my sister lived in an area that used to be a hazelnut orchard - all the streets were named after varieties.

So American, isn't it? Cut down all the trees & then name the streets after them!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-19, 10:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I also use the BrainWaves app:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/brain...ies/id307219387

And it seems to really work!

It's for Apple devices, but typing in binaural on Youtube will give you an idea. Gotta use earbuds or headphones: that's the point.

I have a large collection of binaural beats at various frequencies that I use for meditation and calming. I'm convinced it enhances one's ability to achieve an effective, deep, and restful sleep. Here's a link from the Monroe Institute with some research of binaural beats. They also have a patented set of frequencies called Hemi-Sync. Enjoy:

https://www.monroeinstitute.org/node/2513

It's a universe of consciousness out there ripe for exploration.