Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 17:27
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Quote:
The way the book was promoted was, here's the program that is counterintuitive,"

I'm sorry. Can you run that by me one more time?

I believe in the Atkins approach to eating. I have been very disappointed in the Atkins Nutritional Center site. I once sent them an email, and the response was a canned response from their FAQ area which did not address my question even remotely. Business is business, folks.....

Doesn't make this WOl less effective and enjoyable,

Kay

Last edited by TarHeel : Sat, Jan-17-04 at 17:28.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 18:10

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
..and if this gets more doctors to put their patients on Atkins, how could it be a bad thing?

I think that's the heart of it, actually; they want doctors to put their patients on Atkins (and of course recommend Atkins products and books), not South Beach or some similar plan not tied to the Atkins products. Not because they've learned anything new about saturated fats, but because they fear loss of $$ if they don't change their position on them. In my view, it's no longer about what's right and healthy for the body, but the corporate bottom line.

All the time Dr. Atkins was alive, he refused to back down on his position on saturated fats because he believed that they were not harmful when eaten in combination with a lower carb intake. Now that he's gone, the corporation that bears his name is in effect doing just that in response (as I see it) to a competing plan that limits saturated fats.

Last edited by Lisa N : Sat, Jan-17-04 at 18:11.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 18:53
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

this whole thread just makes me sad
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 19:13

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Potatofree has made a good point, but I too feel sad about this turn. Those of us who have not bought the anti sat-fats argument will feel slightly 'betrayed.'

Val
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 19:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Atkins CORPORATION (not Dr. Atkins) is doing the "smart" thing economically: bowing to the ascendant South Beach in hopes of engaging it, compromising with it, and hence, curtailing it.

The problem is this: South Beach exploits the popular but unsubstantiated pseudo-science about sat-fat. Atkins engages the truth: sat-fat, despite the pr, has little or no actual science against it.

BE STRONG! Cleave to the actual science - and ignore Post-Atkins crap just like you would low-fat, until they can prove their silly lies with actual results.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:10
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

How many of us are going to have to have the "saturated fat" conversation with friends or relatives again? Looks like crow is back on the menu, boys!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:20

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Probably not too many...especially if you trot out the argument that meat fats are only half unsaturated, and that some sat fats are necessary for dealing with vitamins. The you get into the anti trans fats and pro mono fats and you've got them.

Val
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:33
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is depressing. It seems pretty obvious to me what is going on here; the folks running the Atkins empire are giving the diet a makeover to make it more attractive to potential users. They want doctors to be comfortable with it, as comfortable with it as they are with south beach. They want more money and don't really care about truth or health.

Everyone thinks saturated fat is evil, and rather than be a pioneer for truth like Dr. Atkins they are yeilding to pressure for profits.

Sadly, the Atkins name or brand really can't be trusted any more now than any other company as far as I'm concerned.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:38
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
..and if this gets more doctors to put their patients on Atkins, how could it be a bad thing?

Or look at this from another angle. If the profit seekers who are in charge of the atkins empire keep this attitude up... how long will it be until Atkins resembles south beach, where people are advised to eat as little sat fat as possible?

How long until we are told total carbohydrate intake and type of carbohydrate isn't that important?

How long until Atkins is changed to look more like the zone... and then weight watchers so physicians are "comfortable" with the plan?

Sorry but no sale here. If Dr. Atkins took this kind of cowing before establishment attitude so many decades ago, I would be 300 pounds right now.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:42
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

(shrug) I guess I have the perfect ammunition for Atkins followers who bash Dr Phil for being a hypocrite...
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:44
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean4Prez
How many of us are going to have to have the "saturated fat" conversation with friends or relatives again? Looks like crow is back on the menu, boys!

That's another thing... Dr. Atkins told us all saturated fat, a natural fat, posed no particular danger when insulin and blood sugar was stabilized. We put our personal credibility behind the validity of this statement because we all had faith in Dr. Atkins knowledge of nutrition, since he helped us all in individual ways. He had seen thousands people come through his private practice, I think if he found sat fat to be dangerous he himself would have recommending us moderating intake of it.

However now the profit seekers are bastardizing his approach to compete with south beach (the low carb diet which preys on peoples fear of BOTH saturated fat and refined carbs), which not only shames the late Dr. Atkins, but people like you and me as well who have to hear about how "they were right" from our anti-sat-fat families and friends.

Last edited by ItsTheWooo : Sat, Jan-17-04 at 20:47.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:46
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
(shrug) I guess I have the perfect ammunition for Atkins followers who bash Dr Phil for being a hypocrite...

It would be true, except for the fact this wouldn't have happened if Dr. Atkins was alive, whereas Dr. Phil still has control over the actions of his company(s)...
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:54
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

They started churning out high-priced frankenfoods while he was alive.... who knows?
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 21:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%
Default Atkins "clarifies" diet: eat less red meat

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/18/n.../18DIET.html?hp

And I just came home from eating a giant filet wrapped in bacon too.

Last edited by NYorker : Sat, Jan-17-04 at 21:45.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 22:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 291/283.0/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Anybody seen anything new about how they expect us to break stalls? Is the fat fast no longer used? Is there going to be a new book?

I'm not changing anything until the rules are clarified.