Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 07:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/226/215 Male 6-2
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Not losing weight

So after enjoying the holidays a bit much got back on low carb about 2 weeks ago and not losing anything. My normal day is 5 eggs for breakfast one can of tuna with mayo for lunch and protein only for dinner, (steak, bratwurst, chicken drumsticks, chicken wings, in that time of 2 weeks I have had 4 zero sugar sodas not per day 4 for the entire 2 weeks, I have had 3 Atkins shakes over the entire 2 weeks other than that water. For a snack I have zero carb pork grinds. Don’t get me wrong I did t expect to drop 20lbs but I’m not losing anything. I am for sure under 20 carbs a day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 08:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

A couple observations:

Atkins shakes? Lose those, and I'm not saying this is the sole reason for your stall, but the reality is that these shakes have caused problems for many. Why? Read the ingredients. They are not healthy in my book, and they are labeled "Atkins," but are not close to what the real Atkins would have recommended. This is simply a company that bought his name and doesn't follow his principles.

Zero sugar sodas? Again, I'm not saying they are a cause, but a question: are these "unsweetened" or are they zero sugar with artificial sweetener? If they are artificially sweetened, they are not helping.

In general, enjoying the holidays can set one back for a while if you're early in your low carb journey. The solution, don't let any event or holiday set you back that much. It took me at least 3 months of consistent eating, and at least 6 months to adapt as an efficient fat burner. Stay the course, manage your fats, as many think healthy fats are a "free" food. They are not and I did best when I focused on healthy proteins and only the fats that came with them. Stick with 2 or 3 distinct meals per day, don't snack, as even snacks labeled as "low carb" will undermine your objective. Once you get it right and start to see results, you'll have more incentive to continue the journey.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 09:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Everything Rob suggested plus one more…consider eliminating the Pork rinds. Yes, they have protein but also high energy. One tiny oz. is 154 calories and so dehydrated it’s Satiety is more like potato chips than a piece of pork.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/satiety/meat-poultry
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 10:56
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Everything Rob suggested plus one more…consider eliminating the Pork rinds. Yes, they have protein but also high energy. One tiny oz. is 154 calories and so dehydrated it’s Satiety is more like potato chips than a piece of pork.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/satiety/meat-poultry

even though the pork grinds have zero carbs?

and yes the soda is zero sugar but i thought one once in a while wouldn't be an issue just as the atkins shakes, not having them everyday I think I have had 3 in the past two weeks.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 11:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Some of us have to consider how much fat and calories we're getting in addition to carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 11:50

What Atkins plan are you following? All those foods are allowed, we are mentioning some items that cause stalls in some people.
With pork rinds it's not the carbs, but the tendency for people to overeat them. An ounce is a tiny packet, but some grab them by the handfuls out of a big bag. I have found no problem with artificial sweeteners in calorie free sodas, but a problem if mixed with calories like the Atkins shake or keto baked treats. But if you have only had 3 and are not driven to overeat the next meal, probably Ok for you.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 11:57
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
What Atkins plan are you following? All those foods are allowed, we are mentioning some items that cause stalls in some people.
With pork rinds it's not the carbs, but the tendency for people to overeat them. An ounce is a tiny packet, but some grab them by the handfuls out of a big bag. I have found no problem with artificial sweeteners in calorie free sodas, but a problem if mixed with calories like the Atkins shake or keto baked treats. But if you have only had 3 and are not driven to overeat the next meal, probably Ok for you.

just staying under 20 carbs and most days I'm not sure I even go over 10-15, as far as the pork grinds the bag I get is 480 calories in the entire bag and I never eat the whole bag maybe half at most, the bag says zero carbs, normally if I do coke zero I wont have a Atkins shake the same day, forget to mention this way I have been doing it for the past two weeks is also the same way I lost 35 plus pounds. Just ant seem to get going again and believe me I'm realistic but by now would have like to see 2-3 lb drop in these two weeks.

On a side note Im not getting email updates when someone replies and i have notify me instanlty on.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 12:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kp33
On a side note Im not getting email updates when someone replies and i have notify me instanlty on.

Unfortunately, our old mail server hasn't been working properly - if at all - for quite some time now. Try clicking User CP at the top left .. this will open your user control panel where you can easily see if there are new replies to your subscribed thread(s).
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 12:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Unfortunately, our old mail server hasn't been working properly - if at all - for quite some time now. Try clicking User CP at the top left .. this will open your user control panel where you can easily see if there are new replies to your subscribed thread(s).

ok thanks for letting me know.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 12:31
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:

Monday through Friday this is my day:

5 scrambled eggs, just eggs no milk or anything I eat that at 10am
one can of tuna with dukes mayo, i eat that at 1:00
by 5 at night I have my dinner, this week was chicken wings with franks hot sauce, Tuesdays was 4 bratwurst links (2 carbs per link), yesterday was chicken drumsticks with lemon pepper seasoning, tonight gonna be a ribeye. That is Monday through Friday like clockwork

on weekends eggs still in the morning, then some type of meat again maybe ribs, last weekend was brisket, pulled pork, chicken and no sauces just some seasoning. I do BBQ a lot on weekends but that's all meat off the bone, zero carbs.

even the pork grinds aren't an every night thing.

and a ton of water, 7-10 16.9oz bottles of poland spring a day.

Last edited by Kp33 : Thu, Feb-02-23 at 12:53.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 13:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kp33
Monday through Friday this is my day:

5 scrambled eggs, just eggs no milk or anything I eat that at 10am
one can of tuna with dukes mayo, i eat that at 1:00
by 5 at night I have my dinner, this week was chicken wings with franks hot sauce, Tuesdays was 4 bratwurst links (2 carbs per link), yesterday was chicken drumsticks with lemon pepper seasoning, tonight gonna be a ribeye. That is Monday through Friday like clockwork

on weekends eggs still in the morning, then some type of meat again maybe ribs, last weekend was brisket, pulled pork, chicken and no sauces just some seasoning. I do BBQ a lot on weekends but that's all meat off the bone, zero carbs.

even the pork grinds aren't an every night thing.

and a ton of water, 7-10 16.9oz bottles of poland spring a day.

Looks like you're eating per Atkins Induction phase. I don't see any immediate warning signs. The only other question: Are you taking any medications? Some are known to slow and interfere with weight loss. Just remember, we share good information on this forum; yet, we are all different in how we respond to foods.

The thing that really started me years ago when I first went low carb (Atkins Induction) was to stay completely consistent with my eating. I slowed my expectations by starting to weigh myself monthly, and before I weighed in, I started to notice that my clothes were looser, as I was losing inches around my waist. In the beginning of a dietary change, we are not metabolically flexible, so little things can serve to slow you down. When I mentioned "fat adapted" in an earlier post, it can take up to 6 months to efficiently and readily burn fat, because you've been burning carbs for fuel up to now. You train yourself to adapt by the foods you eat, but it takes a bit of time.

By focusing on the eating plan and not worrying too much about getting immediate results, I started losing weight consistently. Surprising what can happen when you focus on consistent lifestyle habits without looking too often for results. You will get there . . .
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 13:50
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Looks like you're eating per Atkins Induction phase. I don't see any immediate warning signs. The only other question: Are you taking any medications? Some are known to slow and interfere with weight loss. Just remember, we share good information on this forum; yet, we are all different in how we respond to foods.

The thing that really started me years ago when I first went low carb (Atkins Induction) was to stay completely consistent with my eating. I slowed my expectations by starting to weigh myself monthly, and before I weighed in, I started to notice that my clothes were looser, as I was losing inches around my waist. In the beginning of a dietary change, we are not metabolically flexible, so little things can serve to slow you down. When I mentioned "fat adapted" in an earlier post, it can take up to 6 months to efficiently and readily burn fat, because you've been burning carbs for fuel up to now. You train yourself to adapt by the foods you eat, but it takes a bit of time.

By focusing on the eating plan and not worrying too much about getting immediate results, I started losing weight consistently. Surprising what can happen when you focus on consistent lifestyle habits without looking too often for results. You will get there . . .

maybe I didn't make this clear originally so I apologize but I was doing low carb for a while with no issues, then the holidays hit and I went off but have been back on for 2 weeks now so its not like this is all new to me, I just cant believe with so little carb in take I haven't lost any weight since I started 2 weeks ago, that's what is baffling to me. Everything I have listed in all my post including the Atkins shakes, pork grinds and zero coke I was doing while I was losing weight before the holidays. I take Clonazepam to help me sleep that's it.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 14:43

"For a while"… are your start and current weights correct? Did you lose 40 pounds from when? You have only two previous threads here, one from 2020 and another from 2021. Did you restart in 2022?

Without knowing many details it is hard to advise what might be contributing…meds, stress, amounts, exercise, lack of fiber, vegetables, just plain having to recover from holiday indulgences, etc.

Dr Ted Naiman does have a short answer:

"If your fat loss on keto has stalled, there is only one explanation, You are Eating too Much Fat"

Low carbers like to say We Don’t count Calories (true, impossible to do that accurately) but Calories Do Count.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 15:56

BF:

Quote:
"If your fat loss on keto has stalled, there is only one explanation, You are Eating too Much Fat"

No truer words have been spoken . . . . As mentioned, fat is not "free" food, you pay a price if you're eating too much. On the other hand, I'm not the least afraid of healthy saturated and mono-unsaturated fats, but they don't help with satiety, so there's no need for fat emphasis in a healthy diet.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 15:59
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
"For a while"… are your start and current weights correct? Did you lose 40 pounds from when? You have only two previous threads here, one from 2020 and another from 2021. Did you restart in 2022?

Without knowing many details it is hard to advise what might be contributing…meds, stress, amounts, exercise, lack of fiber, vegetables, just plain having to recover from holiday indulgences, etc.

Dr Ted Naiman does have a short answer:

Low carbers like to say We Don’t count Calories (true, impossible to do that accurately) but Calories Do Count.

So the 40 I lost I did doing the same way I’ve been eating for the past two weeks, I then got to a point where I was in maintenance mode so I added in more carbs to my diet to stay at that weight within 2lbs either way…this holiday I had a little too much fun and put on 10lbs so doing how I get to the weight I was happy with is what I’ve been doing for 2 weeks and haven’t shed a pound.

Appreciate all the info from everyone so far, I probably don’t get as much fiber as I should I will say that because if you look at what I said is my typical week I don’t have many things that have fiber probably the most is when I have an Atkins shake but again the puzzling part is this is the same way I lost the original 40.