Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 20:35

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 198/197/150 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb How do I lose the weight?

I have been taking Met for about three weeks now and I take 1500mg a day. I have been working out three times a week for thirty mins and I haven't even lost a pound. Does it take longer for the Met to kick in? I am new to PCOS and haven't had anyone to talk to so I need all the advice I can get.Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 00:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/GI-GL
Stats: 423/358.4/173 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 26%

The first thing I think to ask is if you've been monitoring your blood sugar...is it stabalizing? The biggest thing I notice is that my spikes aren't so high when I'm excercising regularly. I take 1000mg of Met a day (and I'm horribly inconsistent about times). But, I also take some other supplements I OK'd with my doctor. Also, if you eat some onions, garlic, or something vinagery with your meals (like vinagrette dressing) it will help keep your blood sugar in bounds. Of course, maintaining your blood sugar helps you acheive a healthy weight. The best "advice" I ever have to give is to focus on your health and listen to your body. If you are eating healthy, working out, and your body feels better (you are getting more energy, etc), you are on the right track.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 08:03

Plan: Low Carb Style
Stats: 155/130/122 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 76%

From what Ive read and discussed with other members with PCOS, the BEST results you'll find is with a low carb diet and exercise combined with taking Met. I also read that it ill take from 1-6 months to start noticing a difference. Of course everyone is different but Ive been taking 1500mg for three weeks, really focused on my eating habits (making sure to stabilize blood sugar) and exercise 5x a week and have noticed great changes already. My skin has cleared up even more, Ive lost weight and I'm ovulating this month.
If you eat food that will spike your insulin levels constantly, you are working against the met and it will take longer for you to lose weight.
I go to the following forum for a lot of answers regarding metformin and PCOS. Its definately worth a look.
http://www.soulcysters.com/