Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 10:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/245/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 17%
Question Weight loss and period connection?

Hi there. I have been steadily losing weight for a few weeks and I finally got a period. I hadn't had one in months and my weight was out of control. But now, it wont stop. I've been on my period for close to 2 weeks now. I know estrogin is stored in fat...so if you start losing fat, will that excess estrogin flood the system?? At any rate...I've got to go get some progesterone to make it stop. Bah!

Anyway...does anyone relate to this? Have you experienced this before with your PCOS??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 23:06

Plan: my own/reference
Stats: 180/152/125 Female 5.3inches
BF:
Progress:

hi, i also had tha same problem ...period went on for 1 month after showing up after 6 months...doc says it was normal since period are supposed to occur monthly, so when it came later it came in Bulk ( hope this makes sense to u )...just see for few days then call doc...

once weight -height proportion is attained,periods will be much regular
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 23:44

BF:

Thank you for the response! It makes me feel much better.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 07:21
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Are you taking supplements? Some supplements can also contribute to heavy, prolonged bleeding and/or spotting.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 10:05

BF:

Yes, I do take a lot of supplements...I'll have to check up on those. I used my Progesterone cream yesterday and took more then the recommended dosage and it's slowed my period down considerably. I'm only spotting now...I can deal with that. That heavy bleeding for days on end is for the birds.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 10:13
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Some supplements that affect bleeding for some women are: vitamin E, multivitamins, iron, green tea extract, and melatonin. I'm sure there are probably others.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 12:27

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:yep
Progress: 58%

I have PCOS and am on metformin. I used to have period every 5 weeks then after being on metformin, I got regular and had it every 4 weeks. I had a LEEP done 01/19/05 for dysplasia. I bled after that for about a week...then no bleeding for about a week, then a week later I started my period as scheduled. On 03/05/05, I got my period again, which was right around the 4 week mark. That lasted about a week. Now today, I have started spotting again and fear I will have another full period...this is just about 9 days since I stopped bleeding!!! What is going on? I recently started taking the Wheaties mulit vitamin which does have green tea...wonder if this has anything to do with it. Or is it the Leep? Did that completely throw me off? Help! I am tired of bleeding!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 20:52

Plan: South Beach, Phase II
Stats: 307/292/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 10%

I have PCOS. When I was first diagnosed at age 17, my periods had stopped for several months. When they came back again (after starting the pill) my flow was incredibly heavy for the first 3 months. In fact, I remember my first period after the dry spell vividly, because it was a heavy 2 week flow. My doctor told me to expect this and that it was okay. (Normally my flow is a mild 3-5 day).