Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 16:52

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Tips on Fried "rice" Cauliflower

I am going to make the cauliflower dish, fried rice style. I have tried the Mock Twice Baked Potatoe's and DH and I loved them.

Does anyone here have any last minute tips for me?

Thank you.

Wee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 16:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

try to get as much moisture as possible out of the cauliflower before you fry it. I used paper towels and squeezed/soaked up as much as possible. If not - it will be mushy.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 17:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Ditto.

The last time I made it very unappetizing. Cooked it too long and it didn't carefully get the moisture out. It was icky and watery.

Hey, I know this isn't the kitchen section, and the thread will probably be moved, but would you please post the linked to the mock twice baked potato recipe?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 09:03

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Well I made this and I liked it alot. I used 2 diced up porkchops, and about 10 diced shrimp. DH did not know that it was cauliflower. He knew it wasn't rice though, because haven't been eating it.

As for getting the moisure out of the cauliflower, there was none in mine.

I don't know how to post links, but the Mock Twice Baked Potato recipe is in the Vegetable Forum, if that helps. It is very good!

Wee
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 08:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

Do you grate the cauliflower RAW?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:22

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%

I need the recipe please.......

sounds good,

oh ya, the twice baked mockatoes too,, recipe
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 23:30

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%

The original recipe is in Karen's section (click on 'Low Carb Recipes' on the orange bar at the top of your screen) and it's called "Cauli-Fried Rice" I think.

I cut the (raw) cauliflower into chunks that I can fit into my food processor, and stuff it down with the grating blade on. It grates it beautifully.

I tried grating it by hand the first time but that was so unworkable (crumbly etc.) I just ended up chopping it finely. And that worked too but it was a LOT of work!!

You can vary it a little if you wish. Some people add peas or minced bell pepper or whatever, but I like it just the way it's listed on the recipe. One thing though, I don't cut up and cook the chicken in the recipe, which would make it much better I am sure -- the first time I did that, it was great -- I cook lots at a time in the crockpot, I just grab a breast or two, drop it in the pan and shred it with a couple forks and mix it all in.

The recipe takes about half a cauliflower. I grate a whole one and stick the rest in a gallon size ziplock bag in the fridge. It will last about a week I've found.

I use the grated cauliflower in nearly everything I can get away with. It basically takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with, and as long as the quantity isn't in massive overkill it's tasteless -- it does seem to help add a little texture to a lot of things made with egg and cream cheese. I put shredded cauli in my deep dish pizza quiche (in the eggy mixture) and couldn't tell it was there.

I LOVE the "mock chicken fried rice". The only problem is, dang it all, I can't keep it in the house. My kid is nuts about it. Everybody who's visited when I've had it is nuts about it (these are NOT low carb people). Every time I make it, I usually only get the serving I eat right then from it!

PJ