Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 04:30
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach (new)
Stats: 223/205/140 Female 5 feet six inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Help

I ate the low carb bars for only the first week. I ate my salad every day. I stopped caffeine. I stopped my HRT. I just did not lose. For the last month on Atkins, I did everything correctly. Then, I stopped things one at a time to see what the problem was, Splenda, Cheese, heavy cream. Still no loss. I am trying to figure out which will be better.....but on LC I had no cravings for sugar. Now, I am eating low fat, high carb, but I just started craving sweets. Not sure which way to go. Cheryl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 05:14
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi there I'm sorry you're feeling so frustrated....that can be so depressing. I was reading through some of your other posts and saw a thread where you got some really good advice about sticking to the plan and just learning to be patient. My dear, you will hear the same thing from me.

I just experienced a 7 week stall. Yes, it was very tough to keep a good attitude and have faith that the plan will work. But with the help of the people on this board, I did just that and learned a lot in the process. I lost 3 lbs. last week! The best part is that I spent that 7 weeks eating foods I love, never being hungry, and feeling great! For me that was worth the wait.

I don't think you'll get a lot of support here for switching to WW; obviously we don't feel that is the way to go. Perhaps if you are happy with it you should join the WW support board, but if you are "craving sweets and junk" it doesn't sound like you are.

What I hear is someone who is afraid this is just another failure and you're in a panic. (Sounds just like me a couple of months ago, so I know.) I had to change the way I THINK about weight loss and my body's ability and willingness to let go of the fat. I had to learn that my body will let go when IT wants to let go, not on my timetable. I had to realize that it's possible it may take me a 1-2 years to lose 30 lbs. .... when I just got through reading Atkins and he made me believe I'd do it in 2 months!! It kinda makes me mad that I felt "set up" that way, but the bottom line is that the theory is all correct and I DO feel much healthier and the weight IS coming off.

I JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT. PERIOD.

And I am now. I've got all the time in the world. Because this is a way of life now, anyway....so I might as well get comfy.

Keep reading and posting....actively participate in this board .... it will make a BIG difference over time.

But most of all, pick a plan and stick to it. That's the bottom line.

Hope this helps!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 05:33

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I second what Teri has said!

I stalled out for 8 months last year. I thought I was doing everything correctly. Drinking water, eating what I thought was enough calories (turned out I wasnt eating enough).

I stayed with the plan, not so much for the weight loss, but for the way it made me feel. I no longer look at this as a diet, more of the correct way I should have been eating all along. Yeah the weight comes off slowly, but I thought to myself....If I wasn't on this diet would the scale still be creeping its way upward? Most likely. At least the scale stopped moving up even if it seems to be stuck most of the time

Just remember one thing if you are thinking about throwing in the towel. Regardless of what diet you chose to be on, if you do not change your eating habits and patterns you will always have a weight problem.

Go back and re read your Atkin's book and look at all the rich wonderful foods you can have. Then look at what other diets have you eat. On a high fat/low carb diet you experience no hunger which is a lot more appealing to me than having what I call "satan tummy". (tummy that growls loud enough for the kid down the block to hear)

Atkin's does work. Sometimes it just takes a while to convince our stubborn old bodies to let go of the fat.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 09:11

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 317/309/160 Female 5 FT. 9 IN.
BF:
Progress: 5%

What Agonycat said turned a light on for me. I was frustrated because I had not lost anything this week. Only been on the Protein Power diet for little over two weeks now. Lost four pounds right off the bat and then stopped. I'm inpatient and what the fat to come off NOW! However, I realized what Agonycat said was right... AT LEAST THE SCALE IS NOT GOING UP! We are all individuals, and we most certainly all go through times of frustration. At least I'm not going hungry. I think that sometimes, those of us who have a lot of fat to loose, are more impatient because we know that even loosing several pounds a week, it's going to take quite awhile before getting to goal. Thank you for helping me recheck my thinking. :-)