Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-06, 02:02

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 280/211/200 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Metamucil

So SBD recomends using Metamucil before a meal to help you stay full. It's a mild laxative, but it's just really psyllium which is healthy.

If you take metmucil, say twice a day, will your body build up a dependency on it to stay regular? Is it a good idea (assuming you're not 65) to stay away from metamucil unless you really need it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-06, 09:34

Stats: 375/309/185 Female 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I haven't used it. Not that I think it is a bad thing. But w/o TMI, I really like the fact that my body is like clockwork for things... and I eat enough veggies to stay that way. I have to say I've looked at it at the store, but always come to the conclusion... "why mess up something that isn't broke".
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-06, 23:59

Plan: south beach
Stats: 160/145/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

I had a lot of trouble with constipation at first. Now I drink a fiber drink ( a little diet snapple, water and 2 tbls of fiber from the health food store ) every afternoon + a fiber pill at night. It works great and keeps me feeling full and healthy. You can carry sugar free metamucil packets for traveling. Try it. If you eat a lot of vegatables you shouldn't get dependent.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-06, 00:00

BF:
Progress:
Default Fiber tricks

Hi. I had a lot of trouble with constipation at first. Now I drink a fiber drink ( a little diet snapple, water and 2 tbls of fiber from the health food store ) every afternoon + a fiber pill at night. It works great and keeps me feeling full and healthy. You can carry sugar free metamucil packets for traveling. Try it. If you eat a lot of vegatables you shouldn't get dependent.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-06, 01:06

BF:

That's just the thing. It's not that I am constipated or anything. I just started taking it to help keep my stomach full. I'm worried though that my body might become dependent on it. Is this a concern, or do I not have to worry about it?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-06, 02:15
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Quote:
That's just the thing. It's not that I am constipated or anything. I just started taking it to help keep my stomach full. I'm worried though that my body might become dependent on it. Is this a concern, or do I not have to worry about it?

All I can give you is an example of someone I knew who did just that.
She took a mild laxative (might have been the same one) and it bulked up her stomach making her feel fuller for longer, but eventually she did do herself damage because her bowel got SO use to it that it stopped working efficiently and now she has irritable bowel.

Me, personally - I use it when nessesary and after my friends experience, only when I really have to! More than a few days and it starts to worry me.
Ultimately it's your choice, but I have a feeling that if you have doubts about it then you already have the answer to your question right there
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-06, 13:19

BF:
Progress:

Hi again. Most of the books I've read say we need 25 to 40 grams of fiber a day. Very few of us can get that much from food alone. One of the greatest weight loss tricks I've read about is taking a little fiber ( a teaspoon ) 15 minutes before lunch and dinner. It slows insulin, digestion and adds fiber. Fiber powder is different from a laxative. Laxatives are dangerous. The one I use is Genesis 4 Fiber and I add a little L Glutamine which cuts sugar cravings. 4 Fiber has less or no psyllium which, if used regularly, can cause dependence in some. If you use them in moderation they really can help and not cause side effects.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-06, 20:58

Plan: SBD
Stats: 180/152/115 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 43%

I tend to stall whenever I take metamucil. I don't know if it's from water retension or what. But I soon as I stop taking it, I start to lose weight again.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-06, 21:38
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs4
So SBD recomends using Metamucil before a meal to help you stay full. It's a mild laxative, but it's just really psyllium which is healthy.

If you take metmucil, say twice a day, will your body build up a dependency on it to stay regular? Is it a good idea (assuming you're not 65) to stay away from metamucil unless you really need it?
Personally, I don't feel you can go wrong with fiber. Fiber is natural - it's not a man-made laxative.

You might try eating more fruit/veggies. That's helped me to stay regular.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-06, 08:07

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 27%

How can a natural fiber like psyllium husk creat a dependency? As said above, we're supposed to eat 25 grams of fiber a day. I don't know that I can do that without a supplement. I add plain, pure psyllium to shakes and other liquid foods, and later on I'll add it to oatmeal. I need more fiber!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-06, 18:02
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Question

The more fiber you eat, the more your body becomes used to it so if you stop, you'll get constipated where you wouldn't have before. So yes, even fiber can create a dependency.

Instead of shooting for 25-30g, how about going by how you feel? Do you go regularly enough to feel good?

I gave up counting fiber grams and just go by how I feel. I always tell people I know if I'm getting enough or not.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-06, 18:20

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:

The op isn't about staying regular, it's filling up.

Eat more veg, or have a soup starter before you eat your main meal... a broth with veggies in for example. Bulk up with celery which is excellent stuff... have a couple of pieces with some LF cream cheese on whilst you're preparing your main meal... Works for me.

You really don't have to worry about going hungry on SB, if you are, eat more!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-06, 18:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel33
The op isn't about staying regular, it's filling up.

Eat more veg, or have a soup starter before you eat your main meal... a broth with veggies in for example. Bulk up with celery which is excellent stuff... have a couple of pieces with some LF cream cheese on whilst you're preparing your main meal... Works for me.

You really don't have to worry about going hungry on SB, if you are, eat more!

Thanks Annabel for bringing this thread back on track a bit :-) I guess the reason I started with the metamucil in the first place was I figured that it would have two great effects, one to fill me up, and the other to really clean me out :-)

I never thought about a body dependence issue. I'm just as fine eating celery or other foods and I rarely go hungry on SB. Thanks everyone for the great comments.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-06, 19:11

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:

I don't know about dependence, Ice, but I did think that stuff has sweeteners in it and chemicals to make it taste orangey. I can think of nicer and healthier things to fill up on. I know you can phyllium husk just on its own so I suppose you could add that in, but I don't know of anything more 'cleansing' than celery to be honest.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-06, 07:27

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Since I know how good celery is for you, I've been trying to force myself to like it for years. The fact is, I can't stand it. I don't like it raw, don't like it cooked, and can only just force myself to eat it with peanut butter or cream cheese, but I find no enjoyment in it.

So I use psyllium husk, only as much as I need to be comfortable. I've never attempted to actually count fiber grams that I'm consuming, but as said above, I know when I'm not getting enough fiber!

As for dependence, it comes down to a choice for me - constipation now? or constipation later if I stop using a fiber supplement?