Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-11, 18:24

Plan: No white
Stats: 153/142/126 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default LCer and Marathon training??

hello all. im a runner training for a full marathon in January. Trying to eat LC throughout the training to help reduce fat on my body and fuel my runs when carbs arent prevelant.

I need some marathoner's advice in the eating departed. What to fuel up on before runs and then what I should have after. So far I'm still in Induction so I usually have a hand full of nuts about an hour before my 4-6 milers. On my long run days (10+ miles) I eat a bit of half a fruit before the run, with coffee and half n half. Then down 8ozs of chocolate milk followed by a protein-rich meal.

Am I doing this right? Or do I need to stay on a STRICT Induction Phase for two weeks to even begin start the LC process. It's been 14 days and I've done nothing but gain/stay the same. I need some help!!

I love the way I feel sans carbs, but hate that I'm gaining weight...I started this to get RID of that extra 20 pounds the running has done nothing to get rid of.

And by the way, this forum ROCKS. I've been obsessed with the tips/posts since I came across it a couple weeks ago. So thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-11, 08:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/120.5/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 70%

I'm training for a half, and I stuck to strict induction for two weeks and did a short taper. I don't think the chocolate milk after the run is necessary- you can do something like gu or shot blocks during the long run (you're burning it for fuel), but I woudl stay away from post-run carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-11, 13:51

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

I'm subscribing to this thread..I would love to hear what advice you receive since I am a relative newbie to running but I have set a goal of running a half marathon in 2012!

Best of luck to you and your marathon training!!!! So inspiring!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-11, 10:56

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

I am running a half in May! I was a low carber a few years back, then in maintenance since. I usually run 5ks, but I decided as a New Year's goal/resolution, I would run a half. My boyfriend did it in 2011. Now it's my turn.

Nobody has chimed in on this thread awhile, so hopefully we can amp it up!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 21:35

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 240/197.1/160 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 54%

Im looking at doing running and adventure racing too. Im new to running and have 40lb to lose. First 5k is in june.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 22:05

Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

Drop the fruit and the milk. There is no need. And they will affect your induction progress.

You are listening to too many marketing idea. Eating sugar during runs or carb loading was never really necessary.

Running does not require extra food or least not durations under 2-3 hours. Or extra food afterwards. Being tired is not hunger. Being sore is not hunger. Your body is designed ( 70-100,000 years of genetics) to run.

Most people will notice a loss of stamina or performance while starting induction. Generally it take 4-6 weeks for your body to fully adapt to the diet. I found that it took that long to get back to full strength and endurance.

Good luck on the running.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 13:36

Stats: 123.6/124/115 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: -5%

I love to run. I have done 3 half marathons, 1 10 miler, 2 10K, and several 5Ks. If anyone can figure out how to run and lose weight I would be grateful! Maybe we can motivate each other to do both! My next half is in April. Where are you guys running????
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-02-12, 15:57

Plan: my own
Stats: 231/190/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

I am a zero carb (mostly) runner at the moment, but a much newer runner than you. I have a 5k in May and a 10k in June. These will be my first competitive runs.

I have tea with cream before my runs and water and more tea/cream afterwards. I normally run in the morning and as i do fast 5 as well as zero carb I don't eat for several hours afterwards. I have only had a problem once and some tea/cream and a boiled egg fixed the problem immediately.

I don't intend eating any more carbs than normal for me and I am certainly not eating sugar/sweeteners. I don't like the person they turn me into.

My weight loss has stalled, but my inches loss keeps trucking on. I hope I am burning muscle. I did another post about this on this sub-forum.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-02-12, 17:05

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

There is a brand new book for you called The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance by New Atkins co-authors Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney. They are leading researchers and experts in the field of low carb nutrition and exercise. They would probably recommend you stay below 50 carbs per day - in nutritional ketosis. I got the book at Amazon, it's only $8.95 and it's a great read.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-02-12, 17:37

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
There is a brand new book for you called The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance by New Atkins co-authors Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney. They are leading researchers and experts in the field of low carb nutrition and exercise. They would probably recommend you stay below 50 carbs per day - in nutritional ketosis. I got the book at Amazon, it's only $8.95 and it's a great read.

Ohhhhh, thank you thank you.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 05:23

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

They have another book you might like, Autodidact - The Art and Science of Low Carb Living. It's a good read too, a lot of the theory, and fine points, about why we do things the way we do in low carb. If you've not yet read it, you might enjoy it as well.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 15:43

BF:
Progress:

Thank you Liz, I shall put that on my wants list as well. Sadly it seems i can only get them from Amazon, which means paying as much in postage as the book. Book Depository is so much better....free shipping worldwide!