Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 03:18

Plan: low carb
Stats: 00/00/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Active LowCarber Survey Results Article

Survey: Vegetable Consumption Doubles On A Low-Carb Diet
Jimmy Moore
October 24, 2005

The following is a reprint from the blog "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb":

Active LowCarber members studied by SUNY researchers

Preliminary results from a new research study that began in August looking at the habits of people on low-carb shows some very promising results for the low-carb lifestyle.

Dr. Richard Feinman, a biochemistry professor at State University of New York Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York, was interested in finding out how low-carb living works in the real world and not what they discover inside a research facility. To that end, he asked the members of a popular low-carb support forum at Active LowCarber Forum to participate in a survey about their eating lifestyle changes since beginning a low-carb program.

After receiving more than 2,000 answers to the survey questions over the past two months, Dr. Feinman said he is "very grateful" for the responses he has received and is in the process of writing an upcoming article for a family medicine journal. While the full results of the survey will not be released for several more months after they undergo peer review, Dr. Feinman felt it was important to provide the "broad outlines of the results" to give people a "general drift" about what they discovered about people who are livin' la vida low-carb.

According to the survey results, more than half of respondents consulted with their doctor before and during their low-carb lifestyle. Additionally, more than half of these respondents noted that their health professional was supportive of their low-carb program.

Close to 30 percent explained that their physician “did not have an opinion but were encouraging after seeing results” while just 7 percent said their physician was "discouraging even after I showed good results.”

Dr. Feinman said these numbers indicate that family doctors are much more "open minded than official agencies and media experts" about the low-carb lifestyle.

"It is for this reason that we hope to publish the results in a journal that is read by family physicians," Dr. Feinman explained.

Nearly half of respondents said they saw improvements in their lipid values, including total cholesterol and LDL. Only 12 percent indicated an increase in their LDL values and a microscopic 4 percent saw their triglycerides rise.

Dr. Feinman said it was "somewhat unexpected" regarding the decrease in both total and LDL cholesterol levels because these do not automatically improve on a low-carb diet.

Among the items of greatest importance to the respondents with their low-carb lifestyle, "avoiding sugar" and "avoiding starch" were the top two responses followed by "drinking water," which Dr. Feinman said was "unexpected."

"We don’t know why this was so or what people had in mind and would be glad to hear any opinions," Dr. Feinman quipped.

Contrary to what the media and health "experts" say regarding the low-carb lifestyle, the fourth most important issue to a low-carber is "eating vegetables," which most respondents said "increased greatly (at least double usual consumption).” The most popular vegetable eaten by those on a low-carb lifestyle is green vegetables and lettuce/salad greens.

Almost one-fifth of respondents also noted that their consumption of beef, butter and bacon "increased greatly" when they began livin' la vida low-carb while about a third of the respondents said their consumption of these foods stayed "about the same."

Finally, the survey asked if there were any foods that you "consistently crave" and nearly one-fourth of respondents noted there were no cravings anymore while a little more than that said they missed eating bread.

The survey had a free form narrative question which allowed respondents to submit anything they wanted about the low-carb lifestyle. Dr. Feinman stated that the responses were "enthusiastic and somewhat detailed or personalized" about what low-carb living has done for them.

Dr. Feinman said he is "grateful" for the responses he received and "will provide more information as our paper progresses."

We will update you with further results from Dr. Feinman's study on low-carb when it becomes available.

http://www.commonvoices.com/article.asp?colid=3243
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 07:01
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Vegetable Consumption Doubles On A Low-Carb Diet

These people must be terribly mistaken--I thought all I ate was bacon and cheese
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 07:30

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

This should be featured on Mythbusters.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 22:20

Plan: atkins moderated
Stats: 215/190/180 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Well, it seems like a sincere attempt in the right direction, in general. I'm glad the responses were taken seriously, appreciated, and not skewed too much, though they still seem quite clueless about LC. They couldn't understand why we avoid sugar and starch on an LC diet?? They wants us to further explain this to them?? What a profound mystery LC must be to them. Or their heads are so full of "myths" about it that their appreciation is really very skewed. How can we get this further information to them?

Alot of the questions were skewed by myth or to produce bad-sounding results, I thought. For instance the only alternatives were "did your blank intake only slightly increase or greatly increase? Either response could sound either unimpressive or dangerous. "Low carbers report only slight energy increase, slight veggie increase and great meat increase". These questions should have been more equitably phrased, which is very important for getting fair and balanced results from scientific surveys.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 22:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly

I was disappointed I couldn't update the survey to reflect my greatly improved lab results. I had not been to the doctor after I started Atkins til after I took the survey.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 22:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmct10
Well, it seems like a sincere attempt in the right direction, in general. I'm glad the responses were taken seriously, appreciated, and not skewed too much, though they still seem quite clueless about LC. They couldn't understand why we avoid sugar and starch on an LC diet?? They wants us to further explain this to them?? What a profound mystery LC must be to them. Or their heads are so full of "myths" about it that their appreciation is really very skewed. How can we get this further information to them? .
I must admit I was somewhat perplexed how you could have got the idea that Richard Feinman was "clueless about LC" (he is anything but) - but I think the confusion probably comes from this poorly written sentence (written by the journalist);

Quote:
Among the items of greatest importance to the respondents with their low-carb lifestyle, "avoiding sugar" and "avoiding starch" were the top two responses followed by "drinking water," which Dr. Feinman said was "unexpected."
I would read that to mean that the high ranking of water consumption was unexpected - not avoidance of sugar and starch.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-05, 16:56

Plan: atkins moderated
Stats: 215/190/180 Male 67 inches
BF:

Thanks for the clarification.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-05, 17:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default kmct10

I believe Dr. Feinman is putting on the second conference on low carb nutrition and the medical implications in Brooklyn this January 20-22. Maybe you could attend and meet him.