Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#271   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-22, 08:35

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Jaz......I will travel to DSis's place the day before our flight. She is within an hour of the Philly airport. We are flying into Tampa, but are staying out on St. Pete Beach at the Rumfish Resort. We leave on Feb. 8th and return on the 12th. My birthday is the 13th, so I'll stay at Sis's and we'll go out for dinner and I'll drive home on Monday morning, the 14th. Fingers crossed for no big snowstorms here when we're trying to leave or get home. Also hoping for pure sunshine and warmth in FL too!
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-22, 05:56

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Lori I looked up your Rumfish. WOWZA
I am super jelly woman! Beautiful and that ocean front and more....my kinda place

Hey Nicco and Jazz

-----------so doing nothing mostly today but some chores to catch up

got a dusting of snow last night
SO COLD here

ribeye and shrimp today and have burger meat

I am in winter boring to the ultimate mode. Boring and COLD and in some slow mode hibernation type mode.

I might sleep later today HAHA I got no get up and go. Kinda got the head clog from sinus, suck down some pills for that and move on.

might hit store later if I got any energy to do so.

be good all, enjoy your day!! I am just mostly laying low here.
  #273   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-22, 07:10

BF:

Good Morning!

OMG.......I am in such a mood this morning! It is zero freakin' degrees. At 1:15 this morning, Gabby decided that she just had to go outside. She has 2 litter boxes, but insists on going out. Anyway, I got up and came downstairs and let her out. I, of course, had to wait for her to want back in because I wasn't going to let her outside in zero degrees. Luckily, she didn't stay out long, came in and ate(her ulterior motive), and then I went back to bed. It took me forever to get back to sleep. I got up around 7 and now have to get myself pulled together to go to our daughter's for the day. It takes a bit over an hour to get there. I REALLY don't want to go out in this weather, but you do what you have to do. I'm sure we'll have a nice time, but I'm in hibernation mode.

------

Trig......Glad you looked up Rumfish! I hope we can get there without incident and install ourselves at a high top table at the tiki bar and commence to drinking! We have our favorite table where we can see the ocean and eat and drink. A little slice of heaven.

Nic....Hope you got home ok and that you're decompressing. You had quite a week, I'm sure.

Jaz.....Has your weather improved? Hope you can get to the beach this weekend.

---------

Meeting with our financial guy went well. We did all the paperwork to move my pension $$ and when it arrives(a week after my birthday), we'll get together and figure out an investment strategy. Between now and then, I have to decide whether to take my social security at 62 or wait until 65. I'll get more if I wait, but if I take it, that's less I'll have to draw out each month from my investments. Decisions, decisions!

Well, have to get moving. I'll check in later! Have good days!
  #274   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-22, 08:10

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Lori- Goodness you have me drooling for RUMFISH too!!!!!! Goodness I just love that kind of vacay! Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater is THE most beautiful spot in the states. That WHITE SUGAR SAND. I love Tampa too- so down right beautiful.
I have thought about relocating there myself! The thought though of being on a peninsula during hurricane season though is claustrophobic. However, you almost have to go to Jamaica to get a better beach.

Giggles on the Miss Gabby wanting out at 1. I have had Rugar when he was a newbie with me try to go out in the middle of the night. I said LAY DOWN! He did! He has only been up once in the middle of the night and that was when he got sick. But then again dogs are not cats and not nocturnal. Cats are unique creatures, they are hunters.

Trig- - I spent a good chuck of yesterday on You tube as there is no real TV here. I came across Ken Berry again. He has such a great story. I also love his straight up candor. He pulls no craps and give it straight up.

I also love he is a doctor and admits he didn't know. He has alot of clout in my book! I want to re-listen to his video on diabetes. I also found his story about his patients with colostomy bags and residue fiber interesting. Of course the medical part of me found that interesting. But it is just one more affirmation that the body takes what is needs first and ditches the rest.

I hear ya on cold and staying in. I am ready for spring!

Any movement on getting your mom a bit closer to visiting the facility? Maybe you are waiting for it to warm up a bit before taking her out.

NIC- Did you get home ok?
---------------------------------------------------------------
OMG slug fest here yesterday. I was so brain tired and physically tired and the cold cold rain just shut me down.
Nothing worse than a 39-40 degree solid rain blowing in your face!

Cold now and cloudy/windy. BRHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Got a call from a dear gal pal last night. She is my painter friend up in Martha's vineyard. She just bought a beach cottage up there and was hoping to get back down here for a few months, but is doing reno.

Anyway, we got to chatting about the economy and all- it is much worse up there she said.

She also said supplies and such are limited too. I have noticed that "stuff" is getting back on the shelves here but I guess not there yet!
Thank goodness for the internet. I order most everything I want on Amazon.

I still go to the grocery but I tell ya I am getting I don't like to do that much anymore either.

Speaking of.......... Yesterday was so dreary and I was SO SO SO hungry. I was CRAVING RED MEAT. I have not had it in a minute. I have lightened up and have been eating fish and low starch veggies.
Yesterday that was just not going to do.

I went to the small store that doesn't have much- but it does have hamburger. I bought a pack and brought it back and fried up a perfect hamburger. Crust on the outside and soft on the inside and thin like a smash burger. Mustard and a pickle and then made another one and I felt amazing.

Then I made a little to put on pups kibble and OMG did he just gobble it. (no seasoning at all)

Today is my writing go nowhere day. I have leftover salmon/ hamburger/ salad. I'm good.

I have a 3 wick candle going and some music on and going to do some stretches and write.

Tomorrow is a job hunt day- today is my relax day. No beach till I see sun!

Stay warm!

PS-EDITED: I checked out Rumfish resort! I'm in! The Rumfish grill looks amazing!

Last edited by Jaz66 : Sat, Jan-22-22 at 10:13.
  #275   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-22, 11:22

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hey all!

Checking in from DE. I am just beginning to feel slightly human, but it will take a couple of days to recover, honestly. I was pretty darn broken by the time I left and then a 12 hour drive on top of that. Also, the entire first day of driving, 10 hours, was in rain. AND on top of that, I crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel for the first time. YOU GUYS. OMG. I have not crossed that before and the length of it is POSITIVELY INSANE. It is 17.6 MILES LONG. I don't have a fear of bridges or anything and eventually I did have some fear start to bubble up. I played a word game out loud to distract myself as the endless water, plus wind and rain really started getting to me. Thank goodness it hadn't started snowing yet or I really probably would have started to actually panic a little bit.

Anyway, I'm at the DE house, here with Hubby. Very good to see him as it feels like ages since I had. I had purchased tickets to a Dueling Magicians show at a local theater in Delaware and we were able to go out to dinner and go to that. It was fun and we enjoyed it.

I am going on a hardcore week long, super basic carnivore stint. My body is a WRECK. Not just weight gain but crazy inflammation from stress, poor sleep in numerous places, a ton of driving etc. My gut is just wrecked, I'm snoring which only happens when I am really a mess AND over a certain weight and I feel like absolute crap. So starting this morning, a big time detox with only bacon, butter, beef, eggs, salt and pepper and some locally ground plain sausage. After a handful of days I will look to add in some fairly plain chicken as well. No other spices, no vegetables, no fruit, no grains, no sugars and sugar subs of any kind. I did put a bit of heavy cream in my coffee and we'll see if I continue that or not. I should eliminate it also but honestly, just doing what I will be doing should be very helpful in and off itself.

Hopefully this reset will help me to start to feel better and rest my gut. Meanwhile, I am sure I will have a wicked detox for a few days. If I'm really desperate maybe a bit of broth to get over that hump.. we'll see.

Dh and I will be going to Austin in February for a few days. My Dad is having a surprise dinner for my stepmom's birthday. They are both getting up there, in their mid 80s, and it has been a long while since we have flown out there instead of them coming to us. That's in about three weeks.

My mom and her husband are an absolute mess. I can't even conceive of what all needs to be done. For today and tomorrow, I am ignoring it.

Lori- Very excited for your trip with your sister. That will be wonderful for you both and so nice to escape the cold together!

I too did not realize how long Betty's hair is. So nice of you to care for her like you do.

Trig- You are so sweet with your Mom and taking care of her. I thought of you as I was crammed into a shower with my Mom in GA. Ha, didn't mean that as it sounds!

I hope your sinus stuff lets up soon.

Jaz- So did you rule out Raleigh, or is it still in play? Do you have a deadline in your mind for when you would need to land a job if you can? I seriously cannot believe we are approaching the end of January. I feel like I have lost the month almost completely. Like, New Year came and went and then time just vaporized.

Anyway, hugs to all!
  #276   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-22, 14:42

BF:

NIC- SO SO SO happy to hear you are back safe and sound! OMG and OMG- the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Do you remember I said I almost had heart failure and a panic attack crossing it? It took almost 30 minutes as they were doing CONSTRUCTION on it as well.
The first time I crossed it was in the morning fog. I was having a hard time seeing where the sky started and the water started. I was a MESS. I am SO happy I had no idea what I was about to do PRIOR.
On my way back I knew. Thankfully I mentally erased and TALKED myself off that ledge and kept my eyes truly straight ahead. The second time the sun was out with blue sky and that helped alot.

That bridge is the one with the most heart attacks in the world. YA THINK!?!?!?!?!?!? I had a hard time with the tunnels, the the height of the bridges. I am shocked this was your first time! So you went in from VA........... yup I have been there and then straight up DE. For such a little state it seems to go on and on.
Did you see all those chicken farms?!?!?!?- GROSS!!!!!!!!!

OK- on the hitting a hard rest with Carnivore. I need it too and will join you and Trig on that. I had a bit of veg today and it is not sitting well. I have had a big bounce and some night sweats and not good.
I was listening to Dr. Ken Berry and he just makes so much sense to me.

I was trying to go "light" with fish and LC veggies and my blood sugars are going up to diabetic levels. NOT OK. He said the SAME thing happened to him. You tube him if you want a boost of why we need to do this! Trig already does!

So happy you are recouping with DH and you can just take a bit of time. You need it. I am sorta shocked you were ready to go out to dinner and a show already! After all you have been though and travel and all- I would want the down time!

I agree January has slipped away like a ghost- just almost gone! I need to get a job here in the next few months......... I will need a different venue to stay March first. So I am looking.

Yes Raleigh is still in play. I would expect to hear one way or the other in the next few days. No "Dear John" letter yet.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I cranked out an entire chapter this afternoon. I read it to my son. He paused and said..... did you really write that? I said yea why. Then he said- it's really good and sounds like an awesome already published book. DROP the MIKE- he never says stuff like that.

Anyway, not sure if I can crank out anymore. I might take a break and start looking for my next housing options. I will have to say- I wrote about the power of words and what we say to ourselves. How what we say matters to our soul and our successes.
We have to put us first and treat ourselves with kindness and stop those tapes that we are unworthy and kick shame to the corner.

We all have a story and are beautiful if we allow that to come through. We need to give ourselves permission to be AWESOME- and let nobody take that, including those messages from long ago.

Anyway- I think I am calling it a day with the book. I have a new title I am super excited about. I found someone who is interested in doing a cover when I am ready. So hey moving along! Still need the 9-5 gig until this launches.

Have a good one.
I am going to hit up the grocery first think in the morning and pick up a steak. A NICE one!!!!! - no veg- I too want a DETOX/ RESET.

Going to hit up You tube- Here I come Dr. Ken Berry! HAHAHAHA
  #277   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-22, 16:27

BF:

We got back from DD's around 3:30. We had a nice visit and her husband made steak pieces with peppers and then beans and rice for lunch. He's Dominican, so every meal at their house has beans and rice! I ate 1/2 cup of rice and 1 spoon of beans. It was nice to sit and visit with them and see the boys. They are 18 and 13 now. Unbelievable! I was starving when we got home and had a couple eggs and some Fage 0% Greek yogurt.

I'm glad to be home and looking forward to a day inside tomorrow. I'll make ribs in the oven and dinner will be easy. Another freezing cold day ahead.

G'nite!
  #278   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-22, 19:16

BF:

Lori- I bet you the rice spiked then dumped your blood suger= hungry!!!!

Glad you are home and tucked in!

All- Bought 5 pounds of Angus pure hamburger for tomorrow and going forward for detox beef only for few days. You have no idea how much I want to slap a piece of cheese on that bad boy burger tomorrow. Not going to happen. + PURE =PURE FOOD only. nothing inflammatory. That is what TV does for you, you can't have beef without cheese and a bun and fries!
So not true!

So- tomorrow- Detox with you NIC. I need it too! Here we GO !!!!!!

YEA!!!!!!!!!
  #279   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-22, 05:11

BF:

Good Morning!

After yesterday's rice & beans and a couple lite beers, I expected the scale to be up. Nope.....down a pound. WTH? My body is weird, but I'm not complaining. I'm still trying to drop a couple extra pounds before DSis and I head to Florida. Just over 2 weeks now!

Nic.....What a week you had! You are wise to take a couple days and just not think too much about it. Decompress! I think I go over that bridge when Sis and I go to VA Beach. Is it the one that has both bridge & tunnels? Yea, I'm not a fan either. I try to focus on how pretty the water is and not think about where I actually am! Plus, Sis and I are gabbing the whole time.

Jaz.....How exciting to have your book coming to be reality! I can't imagine writing a book! Congrats!

Trig....Did you get bad weather again? I've lost track of where the latest storm is located. It is a bit warmer here today, 18* now going to 30*, but we have more super cold weather coming this week.

----------

Yesterday while DH & I were away, Betty took a fall. She didn't hurt herself, but she was unable to get up. She didn't call us or tell us about it until last night. She called 911 and 2 nice young men came and got her up and checked her out and got her back to bed. She had to tell them where the key is hidden so they could get in, but everything worked out....thank goodness! She said she was in her bathroom and was turning to reach for her walker after washing her hands and down she went. She doesn't have much feeling in her lower legs and I think she just didn't lift her foot as she turned. We are actually surprised that she hasn't fallen more often or hurt herself....kind of a miracle actually. We're just taking it one day at a time and dealing with whatever comes up.

I'm making baby back ribs today for DH. I like them, but I typically don't eat too much. I think I'll make some shrimp too.....I can eat a pile of them!

I hope you all have a nice Sunday!

Last edited by Lori_:) : Sun, Jan-23-22 at 05:17.
  #280   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-22, 07:54

BF:

Good morning!

Lori- Urghhhhhh on Betty falling. It can and does happen SO FAST! You are so right, thankfully she has not broken anything. (knocking on wood!). Does she have one of those necklaces one wears if they fall? You just push a button and 911 comes. I am assuming she used that but want to make sure.

Yea on the pound down despite the beans and rice! Then you even ate when you got home. Isn't that annoying to be somewhere for dinner and you have to eat when you get home?

My ex and I went out one year for our anniversary to one of those places that serves you microscopic food on gold rimmed plates. I remember it being so $$$$$$$$$. Then we literally stopped to get whoppers on the way home. Nope not anymore. I want to know I have eaten.

2 weeks away- so JELLY I looked at those pics on the website! I would just hoop it up!

Hey NIC- you ready to go? I have my beef. I am telling ya I have the hamburger thing DOWN!!!! The trick is to not make them too thick and slap them on a screaming hot pan. When it's crusty then you flip and take off the heat and let it sit for a minute and boom. I don't use ketchup because of the sugar and use plain ol yellow mustard, just a tad. Salt and pepper and garlic powder on th ebuger before fry- and good to go!

Hoping you get some good rest and relax in today! I love you choose the DE house to come "home" to. That says alot.
Did you get done what you hoped too?

Trig- you have be quiet over there......... Are ya just sorta hanging and doing ok? Maybe it time to plan that Spring get away in the RV! Spring comes here in mid Feb. We are almost DONE with Jan. and the days are getting longer!

Is it just ME or is TIME FLYING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
------------------------------------------------------------
It's funny I am working on a book yet my writing on here is so LAZY and sloppy! My editor (when I get one- soon) will have their work cut out for them!

Job front. I still need to keep the lights on while I become the next Nora Roberts! HAHAHAHAHAH
Today is a 'real" job hunt and apply day. I am breaking the day up in half.

This morning is a hunt morning and this afternoon is getting in the walk and write and start looking for my next location to be in March.

Very excited to start with a plain ol beef day and tomorrow and the next. Take 3 days and "see". I will tell you I have been eating WAY too much VEGGIES. Low carb or not it is raising my blood sugars. Not even potatoes. I am THAT sensitive right now.

Dr. Berry is right- prediabetes is still enough to do damage. I have to get it down STAT. My sugars have been good until recently. So I need to take counter measures.

Well my aunt and cousin, and uncle all have a pretty bad case of Covid. My handicap cousin and uncle have been vaxxed but my aunt has not. My aunt is sorta blowing it off and said she is feeling better except now she is coughing up "stuff". I told her to get Zinc, C and Mussinex, and see the doctor if she is still coughing in a day or feels she can't breathe. She is stubborn. (I know where I get it).
I will be checking on her via phone!

Well the Bengals won seriously the last play of the game by 3 points kick. It was a seriously good game. They have not gotten this far since the early 80's FORTY YEARS. Dam that sounds old! Being from Ohio we call them the BUNGALS. I will be pretty excited if they go to the super bowel.

Sun is back out and chilly- ok cold! Not sure about a beach walk. I MIGHT bundle up and try if the wind is not blowing.

Have a good one! Back later
  #281   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-22, 09:12

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

OMG I am SUCH an idiot and literally just accidentally closed the tab I was just working on, which had a nice lengthy reply to all of you, and almost all of what I was writing as well. So super annoying and I did it to myself.

GRRRRRRRR

Ok so in much shorter summary:

Lori- yay for eating at a friends plus second dinner= losing a pound!

RE: Betty- one of the fall necklaces might be good for her- she was lucky she could get to a phone to call 911 this time.

Jaz- Glad you are doing a reset with me. I am expecting today to be hard- I have been a good month and a half off LC and I have quite a bit of recovery to do.

Bridge/tunnel- yes that is the one. Pricey too- 14 dollars one way non-peak, 18 peak. I think I thought you were doing the Chesapeake Bay bridge which is the one near Annapolis. Shorter but very high and freaks many people out very badly.

Congrats on your writing going so well and your DS's compliment to you about it!

Trig- hope the sinus pain is abating and all is well with the Kid and the Mom and the Chop!

••••••••••••••

So let's see- I was saying:

• I'm feeling better today and I know that will continue to improve. Yay. I also finally got a good night's sleep that had been a long time coming.

• Dh is here today and leaving at lunch. I'll stay through until Wednesday.

• DS23 is coming home for the weekend, starting on Thursday. DH and I would never say this to the kids, but we are seeing an awful lot of them. Not much empty nesting going on! DS23 was home for two weeks straight, having extended his visit an extra week to work from the DE home. He left, I left for ATL the next day for nearly two weeks, and now he is coming back!

He is doing so bc his fiancι's rotation in Psych has gone virtual, so she is able to work from home- and using her parents' MD home so they can both see each other. That will help them with wedding planning stuff, anyway!

I know the time will come when we see them less.. who knows where DS23 will go to law school and where they will settle, plus who knows where DS20 will eventually end up too. DD seems to want to be near us. At least 2/3 are financially solvent and the last one on his way!

• Yesterday I had my coffee, bacon and 2/3 of a ribeye steak. Today will be the same.

That's about it- I'm shower bound!
  #282   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-22, 10:04

BF:

Yes......Betty has a life alert necklace that she wears, but had her phone right there and just called 911. Was probably quicker to do that anyway. She's ok this morning, just a bit stiff and sore from the fall, which is understandable.

Workout and shower done, made some low cal cheesecakes in my mini Dash egg bite maker and have ribs ready to throw in the oven. Just about ready to relax and have another cuppa.
  #283   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-22, 11:20

BF:

NIC- I hate when I lose a post!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR. Glad to have you "fully" back! Glad you are getting rested.

Yup Yup and Yup- on the "kids". Life will take them places, maybe far. So love it while ya can.

I have my meat patties ready to go. I might get a steak tomorrow. The ones at the tiny grocery looked sad. That is fine. I can roll with just Angus patties today and look at steak tomorrow.

So what does detox on carnivore look like for you??????? Just curious.

Lori- Glad to know Betty has a necklace and she is feeling better.

Yum on those ribs- I love the smell in the house- so homey! Yum and yum. Are you in today?

Hey TRIG!!!!!!
  #284   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-22, 12:20

BF:

Jaz....Yep.....house is smelling good! I also cooked some jumbo shrimp so we can have shrimp cocktail with the ribs tonight.

Yes, I am IN today. I told DH that I wasn't going to stick my nose outside if I didn't have to!

DSis just called and we chatted about our trip. She's excited but still dealing with some attitude from her daughter. I'm proud of the way she's putting her foot down a bit. She still feels bad that she is causing a problem for her DD, but she knows she deserves some time to do something she wants to do too.
  #285   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-22, 13:56

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

bit of that lag hitting me ya know

got me some winter blues probably. too darn cold

chat up later when I feel I wanna but hang on all!

Last edited by Whirrlly : Mon, Jan-24-22 at 04:26.