Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 15:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/137/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Pounding Heart

I started Atkins about 2 weeks ago, and everything is going fine -- I've lost about 3 pounds and after the first couple of days of stomach upset, am adjusting to a whole new set of foods and to basically avoiding the produce section when I shop (quite a difficulty as it's summer and the fruit looks lovely!).

My question, though, is about my pounding heart. I noticed it after the first couple of days and it has not gone away. I wouldn't say my heart is racing (perhaps slightly), but the more noticeable reaction is a very definite pounding. I am also somewhat lightheaded and short of breath -- not terribly so, but every once in a while I have to make a conscious effort to take a very deep breath. It hasn't interfered with my workouts though, I'm conscious of these effects then as well.

Has anyone else experienced this or heard anything like it? I read a couple of stories of people online who had to stop the diet because their heart was racing and they felt faint. In both instances though, this happened with people who were extremely overweight, and I don't really think their experiences apply to me. If anyone has any advice about this, or can point me in a direction for more info, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 15:10

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 65
BF:
Progress: -50%

Hi! Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your loss of 3 pounds so far!

I suggest making an appointment with your General Physician. Heart trouble is something to take seriously. It might be nothing...but it could be something.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 15:56

Plan: Moderate Low-Carb <100g
Stats: 130/110.2/115 Female 5'3.5
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 132%

Mine does that too sometimes. Usually after a "perfect" meal. Not sure why.. and yeah, like you said, it's not really a racing feeling, it's just being able to HEAR or FEEL your heartbeat. Just more pronounced. Highly annoying.

Mine also does that when it's close to or during Red Death (your period). Not sure why either.

ALSO, I dunno if you're eating any Splenda or anything, but too much of that (even a little on a daily basis adds up) gave me that weird breathing feeling - even turned into full blown panic attacks so I had to stop using Splenda. Took about 2 weeks for everything to return to normal.

Be sure you're drinking all your water too. Sometimes I think the body has to work harder to adjust to this new way of eating.

If it keeps doing it, the heart and breathing thing, for more than a few days, then for sure go see your doctor.

Julia
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Are you taking a broad multivitamin? That could help, too. Or extra potassium or magnesium.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 16:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/207/158 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:whoa%/yup%/18%
Progress: 27%

When I was eating the typical high carb american diet I experienced the same thing you are experiencing. I was worried so I talked to my doctor. My doctor was not that concerned as my heart beat was normal. She told me that some people are just more intune with what there body is doing, and are more sensitive to small changes.

Well that answer wasn't good enough for me. What I discovered on my own was that it was not my heart that was pounding, but rather a muscle spasm in my chest. It felt the same as a pounding heart.

The next time it happens check your pulse. Is your heart rate up? Is the pulse stronger than normal? Does it match the pounding you feel?

Try talking to your doctor about it just to be safe and sure. Don't be surprised if you get a lame answer like the one mine gave me.

As a side note, I haven't experienced this since I've started LCing again and have lost some weight. Don't know why.

Kevin
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 16:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/207/158 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:whoa%/yup%/18%
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
Are you taking a broad multivitamin? That could help, too. Or extra potassium or magnesium.

That might be it too. Because I didn't start taking a multivitamin until I started LCing. I'm just glad it stopped because it was annoying.

Kevin
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 17:18

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

I notice a bit of a "racy" feeling if I drop my carbs substantially over a couple of days. I don't test for ketones anymore, but I suspect it has do do with going into ketosis, or maybe deeper into ketosis. I think it's my body sort of revving over metabolically. Sometimes I don't sleep well. It goes away after a few days.

I would keep monitoring the situation, and maybe check with my doc, as mentioned above, if it continues or gets worse.

Rachel
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 19:13

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I get that feeling if I don't take my extra potassium (99mg) along w/ my other supplements. Also, make sure you are getting enough water.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 19:23

Stats: 166/158/135 Female 5'6
BF:39/34/20%
Progress: 26%

I got that feeling at the end of week 1, week 2 and week 3. I found out I wasn't eating enough carbs, because salad was next to nil. When I added turnip greens, collard greens, brocoli, and other ones higher in carbs, I felt better. Now that I am adjusted, I think I could go on a meat and egg fast with no problem, but I don't need to so I won't. My point is, I think it is the body adjusting, but you can always get checked by the docs to make sure.

I felt like I was high those first three weeks. I don't anymore though.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 19:50

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didy
I get that feeling if I don't take my extra potassium (99mg) along w/ my other supplements. Also, make sure you are getting enough water.

I am positive this is potassium defeciency (hypokalemia). It's VERY serious and make sure you are taking your multivitamin that has potassium, and it wouldn't hurt to eat tomatoes more. I think they are one of the only legal carbs that contain enough of it (since we can't eat bananas).
Salmon and cod have it too, I believe (but I really don't like fish).
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 21:54
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Mushrooms, avocados and spinach are also high in potassium. I like cucumbers with Morton's Lite Salt. If you are avoiding the produce section I agree that's a likely cause.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 22:41

BF:

Thanks for all of your responses. I drink loads of water, and I avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague (they give me migraines), but I just checked the multivitamin I take, and while it has magnesium, it does not contain potassium. I will pick up a potassium supplement tomorrow -- does anyone have any recommendations for an appropriate dosage? I see Didy takes 99 mg daily. Does that sound about right? My diet prior to Atkins involved a great number of fresh fruits and vegetables, so I got most of what I needed in terms of vitamins and minerals that way -- I was wondering what such a rapid drop-off of those sorts of nutrients might be doing.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 22:48
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Yes, 99mg of potassium should be sufficient. You can always increase the dosage in a week or two if need be.

I suggest that you Google something like "potassium rich foods." You will learn that almost all of the veggies Dr. A. recommends for Induction are quite rich in potassium. Avocadoes, for instance, contain more potassium than bananas. That's just one more reason to be sure you eat all your veggies!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 10:24

Stats: 220/189/170 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Why are you avoiding the produce section? That's where all the veggies are, and veggies are a BIG part of the Atkins plan.

Are you eating any veggies at all?
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 11:13

BF:

I'm avoiding the produce isle because <20 grams of carbs makes for very few vegetables (12-15 net carbs from veggies is not what I would consider a BIG part of my diet). It is a greatly reduced amount of produce, at least for me. Most of my shopping on the Atkins diet is done in the dairy and meat sections. I had an artichoke with dinner last night and roasted broccoli with lunch -- basically all of the vegetables I could afford for the day. For me, that's pretty much avoiding produce.