Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-10, 14:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/241.8/190 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default FNG here!

Hello everyone my name is Dale as you can tell by my name I am into Rock Crawling basically anything 4 wheel drive.

I am here because I have some newbie questions/ and support. I have am not a very fit person anymore so my hobby suffers and of coarse the dreaded Dr. visit says my wife and I have to lose weight. (High cholesterol and BP) Nothing out of the normal for Southern America. We like every thing fried including vegetables so it is no wonder I am where I am. We started walking 30 minutes a night as directed by the Dr.

Here I am at 270lbs

As you can see I got my work cut out for me.

My Dr. has advised me to go on a low carb diet but he is not hard core on it. He told me to eat a fruit a day all the vegetables I want except potatoes of any kind. No grains. Now I did the Atkins diet a long time ago and got down to 172lbs.. That was about a 47lb loss for me.

Pic of me at 172.

I guess some of my questions are like I don't remember much about reading labels on the food to tell what kind of carbs they have.

Like for example Sharpe Cheddar cheese. I know you not supposed to have very much of it but if a read the label it really wont hurt my diet.

Like it has 1g of carbs but it also has 7g of protein. Isn't the protein supposed to counter act the carb in it? or is that only for dietary fiber?

I don't drink coffee at all but I do have an sugar free energy drink every morning and that is only 1 a day. Is that going to be that bad on me? I really hate water but drink it and some times put cystal light in it or drink the powerade zero. All have no carbs.

I want to be thin but I also want to be happy in what I do on my diet because to me that is whats going to make it last.

OH yeah the reason I slipped off my carb diet the first time. I have gall blader issues and it had to come out. The high protein diet like to killed me with my gall stones.

Any advice or am I going about this all wrong. Not real worried about losing fast. I am realistic and I know I didn't get this way fast.

Thanks Dale
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-10, 09:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/219/175 Male 72 in
BF:
Progress: 20%

First buy Dr. Atkins book. But basically for induction you need to keep your carbs (total carb minus fiber) under 20 grams. These carbs should come from salad veggatables. I was to weak to give up coffee but it didn't seem to effect my weight loss.

You can go to the Atkins website and it has a list of food you can eat..good luck
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-10, 12:48
4 phases Use them

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 250/250/180 Male 70 Inches
BF:ack/ack/ack
Progress: 0%

Dale,

Yeah the book will really help. You will find several flavors of the book. I am using the "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution" which was an update from his 1972 book.

The differences were the addition of the concept of netcarbs which is carbs - fiber. Read the book this will give you the science behind why it works and how it works.

BTW... Atkins is very guy friendly diet. So don't feel bad about grabbing another burger (sans bun) or steak.

I would suggest that you start a journal and post in it and use a tool like MYPLAN (found in the menus at the top of the page) to record your eating.

This will help lots.

The next thing I suggest is to visit other journals and find some of the crazy insane people who hang out here. Post in their journals, and they will post in yours.

It will happen.

John
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-10, 18:29

BF:

Thanks guys! and like mentioned I have done atkins before. I believe I still have the book some where. Guess I got some digging around to do.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-18, 03:03

BF:

Its me again. Figure I would reintroduce myself as I haven't been back in a number of a years. Not exactly happy I am doing this from scratch again and wish I could tell yall I am here for more of a tune up. Nope this time I want to lose at least 100lbs and I find it a bit harder to lose weight now I am in my mid 40's.

Hardest struggle I have. I love to drink! and party! I still love to close the place down and end up at the waffle house of bad decisions at 2am...

For me my failure point stems around vacations. I will lose weight like last time I was here and go on vacation. Then i would be like it is a week I am not going to worry about it and eat what I want. Then I get back home and be like we can do one more week. That turns into screw it.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-18, 12:36

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome back, Dale.

Your numbers remind me a bit of me and where I was in 2015. I was in a pretty bad way, despite doing my best to do what I was told. Who could have known that all those "experts" were wrong my entire life? But I digress.

One of the things that helped me get started was just explaining to my buddies that I wouldn't always be able to do all the things I used to do with them anymore. I'm not a particularly social person, by this I mainly mean catch up with someone for lunch at a pizza or curry place or whatever, but the principle still applies. I was so relieved that they were prepared to support me on my journey and we started to lunch at a couple of different places instead of the old usuals. Is there any way you can bring your mates on board to some extent to help remind you to stay on track when you're out and about?

As for vacations, I don't do that often either, partly out of fear that I'll mess up when I'm away. I went to the States for a couple of weeks in 2016, which - coming from New Zealand - was kind of a big deal. During that time I tried to stay on track as best I could, but recognised that I wasn't always going to have that same level of control over my food as I normally do at home, and indeed I put on a couple of pounds as a result. But as soon as I got back, it was straight back on the wagon and it all came back off again.

Depending on how often and for how long you go on vacation, perhaps it's just one of those things you can look to manage as best you can without ruining the experience completely, as long as you keep things fairly strict during your normal home routine?

Last edited by Grav : Tue, Oct-23-18 at 20:48.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-18, 12:57

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Welcome Dale!

Read this:
Atkins Induction Acceptable Food List
Note: These instructions are taken from Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, 2002 edition. Most experienced forum members would advise you to follow these instructions and not those from New Atkins, New You, the Quick Start Guide, or the website, as the changes seem to be too liberal in favor of selling shakes and bars. This is the induction food list as Dr Atkins wrote it himself.

All fish, fowl, shellfish, meat, and eggs

Note: Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs than other shellfish, so limit them to four ounces per day.

Note: Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats—and some fish—may be cured with added sugar and will contribute carbs. Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates, which are known carcinogens. Also beware of products that are not exclusively meat, fish or fowl, such as imitation fish, meatloaf and breaded foods. Finally, do not consume more than four ounces of organ meats a day.

Cheese
You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, cow, sheep and goat cheese, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:

Cheddar; cream cheese; Gouda; mozzarella; Roquefort, and other blue; Swiss cheese; Brie; Parmesan; Havarti; etc

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese—but check the carbohydrate content.

Salad Vegetables
These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber.

You can have two to three, cups per day of any combination of the following:

Alfalfa sprouts, daikon radish, mushrooms, arugula, endive, parsley, bok choy, escarole, peppers, celery, fennel, radicchio, chicory, jicama, radishes, chives, lettuce, romaine lettuce, cucumber, mâche, sorrel, spinach

Other Vegetables
You can have one cup per day of these vegetables, in any combination if your salad portion does not exceed two cups. The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables:

Artichoke, celery root, pumpkin, artichoke hearts, rhubarb, asparagus, chard, sauerkraut, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, broccoli rabe, Brussels sprouts, cabbage (red, green, Savoy), cauliflower, chayote, collard greens, dandelion greens, eggplant, hearts of palm, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, okra, onion, scallions, snow peas, spaghetti squash, spinach, string or wax beans, summer squash, tomato, turnips, water chestnuts, zucchini

If a vegetable, such as spinach or tomato, cooks down significantly, it must be measured raw so as not to underestimate its carb count.

Special Category Foods
To add variety, each day you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avocado, 2 Tbsp. of sour cream, or unsweetened heavy or light cream (limit to two to three tablespoons a day; note carbohydrate content), as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.

Herbs and Spices
Use all herbs and spices to taste, but make sure that spice blends contain no added sugar.

For salad dressing, use oil and vinegar (but not balsamic vinegar, which contains sugar) or lemon juice and herbs and spices. Prepared salad dressings without added sugar and no more than two carbs per serving are also fine.

Acceptable Fats and Oils
Many fats, especially certain oils, are essential to good nutrition. Olive oil is particularly valuable. All other vegetable oils are allowed, the best being canola, walnut, soybean, grapeseed, sesame, sunflower and safflower oils, especially if they are labeled "cold-pressed" or "expeller-pressed." Do not cook polyunsaturated oils, such as corn, soybean and sunflower oil, at high temperatures or allow to brown or smoke.

Use butter. Margarine should be avoided, not because of its carbohydrate content, but because it is usually made of trans fats (hydrogenated oils), which are a serious health hazard. (Some nonhydrogenated margarines are available in health-food stores.)

You don't have to remove the skin and fat from meat or fowl. Salmon and other cold-water fish are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.

Remember that trying to do a low-fat version of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM will interfere with fat burning and derail your weight loss.

Artificial Sweeteners
You must determine which artificial sweeteners agree with you, but the following are allowed: sucralose (marketed as Splenda™), saccharin, cyclamate and acesulfame-K. Natural sweeteners ending in the suffix "-ose," such as maltose, fructose, etc., should be avoided. However, certain sugar alcohols, such as maltitol, do not affect blood sugar and are acceptable.

Saccharin has been extensively studied, and harmful effects were produced in the lab when fed to rats only in extremely high doses. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has removed saccharin from its list of carcinogens, basing its decision upon a thorough review of the medical literature and the National Institute of Science’s statement that there is "no clear association between saccharin and human cancer." It can be safely consumed in moderation, meaning no more than three packets a day. Saccharin is marketed as Sweet'n Low™.

The Atkins preference, however, is sucralose (Splenda™), the only sweetener made from sugar. Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA recently approved it after reviewing more than 100 studies conducted over the past 20 years. Note that each packet of sugar substitute contains about 1 gram of carbohydrate, so don’t forget to include the amount in your daily totals.

Acceptable Beverages
Be sure to drink a minimum of eight eight-ounce glasses of water each day, including: filtered water, mineral water, spring water, and tap water

Additionally, you can have the following:

Clear broth/bouillon (not all brands; read the label)
Club soda
Decaffeinated coffee or tea*
Diet soda made with sucralose (Splenda™); be sure to count the carbs
Essence-flavored seltzer (must say "no calories")
Herb tea (without barley or any fruit sugar added)
Lemon juice or lime juice (note that each contains 1.4 grams carbohydrate per Tablespoon); limit to two to three tablespoons

*Excessive caffeine may cause unstable blood sugar and should be avoided by those who suspect they are caffeine dependent. Everyone should try to avoid caffeine. Grain beverages (coffee substitutes) are not allowed. Alcoholic beverages are also not permitted during Induction; those low in carbohydrates are an option, in moderation, in later phases.

Convenience Foods
Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack. More and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

Not all convenience food products are the same, so check labels and carbohydrate content.

While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don’t overdo it. Remember, you must always follow The Rules of Induction.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-18, 19:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
Wecome back, Dale.

One of the things that helped me get started was just explaining to my buddies that I wouldn't always be able to do all the things I used to do with them anymore. I'm not a particularly social person, by this I mainly mean catch up with someone for lunch at a pizza or curry place or whatever, but the principle still applies. I was so relieved that they were prepared to support me on my journey and we started to lunch at a couple of different places instead of the old usuals. Is there any way you can bring your mates on board to some extent to help remind you to stay on track when you're out and about?

But as soon as I got back, it was straight back on the wagon and it all came back off again.

Yeah the people I hang around are pretty good. I can't eat at almost all the places we go. I am the person responsible for the bad decisions. Example a night at the bar. I am bad about ordering Jack and Coke. If I am trying to to not be so harmful I would order Jack and Diet Coke or even better Vodka and Club Soda. Food wise ordering pizza rather than wings or a grilled chicken salad.

Vacation is the devil it is like a snow ball. Usually vacation is only a week. I lack that whole get right back on or sometime getting back on at all. Hell better late than never can be a very true statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Welcome Dale!

Read this:
Note: These instructions are taken from Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, 2002 edition. Most experienced forum members would advise you to follow these instructions and not those from New Atkins, New You, the Quick Start Guide, or the website, as the changes seem to be too liberal in favor of selling shakes and bars. This is the induction food list as Dr Atkins wrote it himself.

Great info and yeah I am old school atkins myself. Haven't really read anything on the newer stuff. I did sign up for the tools they have on their web site and seem pretty helpful to track my meals.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-18, 19:50

BF:

Here is what the stats look like from my meals. Still trying to balance the numbers a bit.

10/19
12g net carb (18 - 22)
182g Fat (112 - 152)
163g Protein (81 - 168)
2327 calories (1800-2200)

10/20
15g net carb
280g Fat
239g Protein
3608 calories

10/21
10g net carb
188g Fat
178g Protein
2508 calories

10/22
5g net carb
137g Fat
143g Protein
1873 calories

10/23
6g net carb
106g Fat
115g Protein
1483 calories
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-18, 17:26

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Looking at your food stats over the past 5 days, one thing JUMPS out at me.

Unless you've been deliberately going hungry the past two days, your body is already starting to WANT a whole lot less food! Compare the amount you ate on days 4 and 5 with the amount you ate on days 1 and 2. It's down by a significant amount!

One of the reasons LC works so well is because when we don't eat a bunch of carbs, we just naturally start feeling a lot less hungry so we eat less overall... which leads to weight loss.

As for the gall bladder issue you mentioned, you might find this article entitled "Have a History of Gallstones? Then Say Yes to Dietary Fats!" interesting. Note that the author provides links to peer-reviewed scientific studies that support her conclusion. So, while the advice is admittedly contrary to the current standard medical advice, she isn't just "selling snake oil."

#11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-18, 19:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Looking at your food stats over the past 5 days, one thing JUMPS out at me.

Unless you've been deliberately going hungry the past two days, your body is already starting to WANT a whole lot less food! Compare the amount you ate on days 4 and 5 with the amount you ate on days 1 and 2. It's down by a significant amount!

One of the reasons LC works so well is because when we don't eat a bunch of carbs, we just naturally start feeling a lot less hungry so we eat less overall... which leads to weight loss.

Your exactly right but the reason for the swing in intake has to do with the amount of time I am up a day. I work night shift so some days I sleep more and eat less. Another factor in calories could be what I ate. Like sometimes I like to eat chicken wings which seems like a treat and sticks to the carb count but it can blow out calories. Thanks for the like I will read it for sure!