Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-19, 11:36
deirdra's Avatar
deirdra deirdra is online now
Senior Member
Posts: 3,974
 
Plan: HF/vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%
Location: Alberta
Default

I was following the McDougall program and website in 1999 when someone on the forum replied to my concerns about weight gain, bloat, brain fog, sinus & joint pain, constant hunger & cravings with "maybe McDougall is not for you - check out the Protein Power website". Best advice ever!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-19, 11:56
CityGirl8 CityGirl8 is online now
Senior Member
Posts: 684
 
Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/206/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 34%
Location: PNW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Doh. You're right. I'm an idiot!
Even though it wasn't me, the point you made was still right about people not just blinding following celebrity trainers and doing their own research. That's important.
Reply With Quote
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-19, 16:33
WereBear's Avatar
WereBear WereBear is offline
Posts: 11,506
 
Plan: Epi-Paleo/IF
Stats: 220/137/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 119%
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I was following the McDougall program and website in 1999 when someone on the forum replied to my concerns about weight gain, bloat, brain fog, sinus & joint pain, constant hunger & cravings with "maybe McDougall is not for you - check out the Protein Power website". Best advice ever!


Even if you aren’t a fan of Jimmy Moore, his podcast where he interviews McDougall is fascinating. While I think they both strain to be polite, it ends with McDougal stomping off.

1304: LLVLC Classic – Dr. John McDougall Staunchly Defends His Starch-Based Diet

For those who want to read about him, this classic Mark’s Daily Apple post: My Escape from Vegan Island

He has diehard fans, but If I were on the McDougall diet I would be tooting like a tugboat and look somewhat pregnant from the bloating. Not a look I want to cultivate
Reply With Quote
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-19, 17:23
Bonnie OFS Bonnie OFS is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 2,319
 
Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/170/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%
Location: NE WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
He has diehard fans, but If I were on the McDougall diet I would be tooting like a tugboat and look somewhat pregnant from the bloating. Not a look I want to cultivate


That's what my husband found out when he (mostly) cut out wheat & sugar from his diet; the gas & constipation went away. It was kind of funny when he went to the doctor a couple weeks ago because of chest pain (he has a history of heart trouble) & the doctor (not his regular one) kept pushing a vegan diet. I had just checked out Wheat Belly from the library & had been reading it before the doctor came into the room. I didn't hide the book & was tempted to hold it up where he couldn't miss seeing it.

Husband just had his stress test today & did quite well, so I'm not exactly concerned about his diet. Except I did tease him a bit when he got a pastry to go with his coffee at the hospital cafeteria.
Reply With Quote
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-19, 17:30
barb712's Avatar
barb712 barb712 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,106
 
Plan: LC
Stats: 240/201/205 Female 180
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I was following the McDougall program and website in 1999 when someone on the forum replied to my concerns about weight gain, bloat, brain fog, sinus & joint pain, constant hunger & cravings with "maybe McDougall is not for you - check out the Protein Power website". Best advice ever!


I was doing McDougall in the early 2000s as well and hit the same wall. Glad I finally came to low carb, but it was a winding route through everything imaginable.

Last edited by barb712 : Mon, Feb-11-19 at 19:19.
Reply With Quote
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-19, 09:05
Nrracing Nrracing is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 481
 
Plan: CLC 20/4 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/260/205 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
That's what my husband found out when he (mostly) cut out wheat & sugar from his diet; the gas & constipation went away. It was kind of funny when he went to the doctor a couple weeks ago because of chest pain (he has a history of heart trouble) & the doctor (not his regular one) kept pushing a vegan diet. I had just checked out Wheat Belly from the library & had been reading it before the doctor came into the room. I didn't hide the book & was tempted to hold it up where he couldn't miss seeing it.

Husband just had his stress test today & did quite well, so I'm not exactly concerned about his diet. Except I did tease him a bit when he got a pastry to go with his coffee at the hospital cafeteria.


Bonnie, I know a bit about heart trouble lol, He will do fine on LC. I got down to 203 at my lowest on LC with the help of the ladies and gent on this site. When my heart transplant Docs saw me they about fell over dead when they saw my weight loss and how great my number were.

They didn't tell me to stop LCHF, so I am going to get my weight back down to that goal and keep it going. he will be fine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:59.


Copyright © 2000-2019 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.