Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 15:34
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Midway through my second week of BFL. And boy, am I glad it's midway and not the beginnning, lol! This is a real commitment, of time and energy. But it's worth it, I think, in that it gives me a discipline and a focus.

Had a decent but not grand weight lifting session yesterday. For some reason I was quite tired, and pooped out after about 45 minutes, with the ab work not quite complete. But then did a lovely 10 minutes of relaxing stretches. And rushed home to eat Smarties, drink a protein shake, and submerge myself in my bubble bath.

Woke up this morning also very tired, and I told myself that instead of HIIT I could just do some moderate pace aerobic walking. But once I hit the treadmill, the lure of the challenge (or is it the guilt??) was just too strong. I was really worn out by the third cycle, and probably didn't quite hit a 10 during the fourth. But I did finish, and then walked comfortably for another 10 minutes or so.

Tina (the trainer) is really ramping up the weights tomorrow--she's already warned me, lol. So I'd better get a good night's sleep tonight.

I bought a pair of skin tight hip hugging jeans over the weekend, too. Who says I have to act my age?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 16:57

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Hi RoseTatoo ! Jeez, it's been a while - how are you doing? Miss "chatting" with you! Hope all is well !
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 13:25
Kid R

OK, here starts the incredibly boring and repetitious BFL gym log, not to be responded to unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

I've just ended week 1/2 of BFL challenge 1. Even though it wasn't a full week, I'm counting it as the first week for consistency.

Sunday: UB workout, futzing around. But did a pretty thorough workout.

Monday: JCC closed.

Tuesday: I forget what I did, lol. Oh yes, the JCC was closed, and I had to go to the Y, and the equipment was nasty and I didn't like being in the basement with the heating pipes hanging overhead, so I did 40 min. of moderate cardio.

Wednesday: First official day, LB workout, but didn't make a record. I recall that I have to raise the weights on the leg press, 50 was too low for the set of 6. Have to learn lunges better, too, since I can't always count on getting a machine. Abs need to be more challenging--maybe raise weight.

Thursday: 20 MAS. Used perverse EFX with very high resistance setting. : Don't use that one again. Hit 10, maybe 20. Strung out for rest of day.

Friday: UB workout. Bonked on shoulders--don't use machine, use freeweights instead. Don't even try to raise weights for 6. Everything else was reasonably ok, given that UB is pitifully weak.

Saturday: 20 MAS. Used much nicer EFX machine. Use that one again. Not sure about hitting 10, but 9 isn't bad. Don't feel like cripple today.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 13:40
Kid R

25 min.moderate cardio--it's my free day.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 13:55

BF:

Hmmm - not much of a "free" day if you're exercising, huh ???
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 11:01
Kid R

Just knew you'd say that, Shadow!

It's apparently ok to do an extra couple of moderate cardios per week, according to one BFL guru. And since I like that advice, I trust that guy.

Today was LB and it was ok except for the hamstring part, which was done entirely with free weights. I can't do lunges without falling over, lol, so that part didn't go very well. The other hamstring exercise was a straight leg deadlift, which I *think* I executed properly, except maybe I was rounding my back a little too much. Need to focus on looking ahead, not down. It would help to find an exercise to substitute for those dratted lunges.

Quads are fine, did really really well on the leg press (45 on each thingie) and higher on the leg extension than I've ever gone (40). I think next time I can go even heavier. Calves were ok, mine are for some reason unusually strong, so neither exercise was a problem. Abs were fairly easy--I think I need to find a more challenging exercise.

Worked out on an empty stomach and didn't throw up or pass out, so I guess I'll do that again.

Tomorrow is my favorite, 20 MAS (HIIT), and then Wednesday I have to figure out what to do about having weight lifting and Pilates on the same day.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 11:33

BF:

RT - How are the hamstring deadlifts done? Until your balance improves on the lunges, you should either do them with NO weights or do them as stationary lunges. Some find dips to be easier than lunges if you would like to try those instead . But even if you go for the dips, do them with NO weights too until you get your balance. It's very easy to tear your knee doing these with weights and no balance!

Glad you survived doing it on an empty stomach ! I've done it for years and trust me, it's not fatal . It may not be for everyone, but I couldn't imagine doing it any other way!

The abs are probably easy for you because of all the Pilates you've been doing .

Take it easy on that HIIT tomorrow! We don't want you feeling like you've been hit run over by a steam roller :lol!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 16:34
Kid R

OK, slight change in plans. I did UB instead of HIIT today because I didn't want to do UB on the same day as Pilates (tomorrow).

Chest: machine chest press, weight range of 1 to 2.5. Tried a set of 4 at 3, but only got 2 reps. Last set of 12 at 2.5. Dumbell bench press, X12 at 10.

Back: Wide grip lat pulldown, range from 2.5 to 4. At 4, form was off, so lower next time. Last set of 12 at 3. One arm dumbbell press, X12 at 12. Go heavier next time.

Shoulders: Seated dumbbell press, range from 5-12. Last set of 12 at 10. Bent over raises, X12 at 5. Form is way off. So fatigued that even 5 was a problem.

Biceps: Seated dumbbell curl, range from 7.5 to 12. Last set of 12 at 10. Incline dumbbell curl, X12 at 8. This was fine, assuming I was doing things right.

Triceps: Crash and burn! Bench dips, who knows if I was using right form. Extensions, same problem.

I'm not sure I have the stamina to do all five exercises in one day. Anyway, improvement today in the way the chest and back went, also shoulders for the most part. Think I have the size of weights right.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 16:47

BF:

RT - You're doing great, girl ! And remember - a couple reps done with good form is much more advantageous than many reps with poor form . Give yourself time to adjust to these new exercises and to learn them - nothing worth knowing comes automatically . When your form starts slipping, it's time to stop. In no time at all you'll be cranking out the sets on each - but if you push it too soon, you'll get frustrated, possibly injure yourself and burn out. How about just setting a goal of just one set of each exercise with 8 - 12 reps? Then if you're sailing right along, you can add another set. And you can always re-direct your focus: for example, chest and shoulders on Monday, lower body Tuesday, biceps and triceps Wednesday, and so on. Rearrange the workouts however it takes to work for you . You can always change it in the future as you get stronger and feel more at ease with the program .

But hang in there - you're doing a wonderful job !
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 14:28
Kid R

Thanks, Shadow! I always appreciate your advice!

Progress ground to a halt today, as I tried to do Pilates and HIIT on the same day. Obviously a stupid mistake on my part. I got through 10 minutes of the HIIT and quit. I *may* attempt it tonight, or I may just chalk it up to experience. Anyway, the Pilates felt GREAT--just what my sore muscles needed.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 15:18

BF:

I think chalking it up to experience sounds like a winner !!! You can exercise again tomorrow - you don't need to do it all today .
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 10:45
Kid R

Thanks, Shadow.

Today just a little cardio--honest. 30 min. moderate pace on the EFX, average hr 137, max hr 154.

Then did a bunch of situps while complaining to Tina about my cholesterol results, lol.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 11:02

BF:

Okay - I guess that's not so bad !
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 17:03
Kid R

Friday, LB workout. I don't feel like reproducing the numbers, but it was a good one. My legs are getting strong. Wish I could say the same for my UB, lol.

Saturday, 20 MAS (HIIT). Except it was only 18 minutes and not much of a solution, as I fagged out during the final 9 and 10.

Did I mention how much I detest the 20 MAS???

Tomorrow is a free day. Right now I am baking bread.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 18:14

BF:

Hey RT . What's MAS?