Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 07:03

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up How to Fit Fitness Into Your Busy Schedule

I know a lot of people are busy but there are always some things you can do to exercise! I found this article and I like some of these tips! I notice that I do some of them but there are some good hints that you really don't think about!
I think a great tip in this article is to park far away from the entrance to a store, instead of trying to find the closest parking spot. How simple this is and could you imagine if you did this everyday? How many people at your job, at the store, etc., do you see fighting for the furthest parking spot away from the entrance? As of today, I am going to start parking further away! Every little bit helps!!!!
Hope this article gives everyone some helpful hints!!

How To Fit Fitness Into Your Busy Schedule

by Rachel Keller
You really do want to get in shape, but you don't think you can fit another thing into your already too-busy schedule. Though not always easy, even the busiest person can fit in some extra activity by following these suggestions.

Every year, many make the commitment to better fitness, but so few follow through with that commitment. Why do so many neglect physical fitness and remain woefully out-of-shape? While many have different excuses, the most popular excuse for not exercising is the time factor.

You know how important exercise is and you really do want to get fit, but your schedule is already bursting at the seams, and you don't think you could fit even one more activity.

As a busy mother of three young sons, I know how difficult it can be to fit a regular exercise routine into a full schedule. Yet, without a consistent exercise regimen, you may not have the energy to keep up with your responsibilities, and by working out now, you will have more energy later. (See Firm for Life, p. 58, by Anna and Cynthia Benson.)

Having a consistent time for physical fitness makes it more likely that you will continue with a routine. I like to get up early before my family awakens. If I don't exercise early, I find it very difficult to fit it in during the rest of the day.

Early morning may not work for you, but having a regular time set aside for fitness makes it much more likely that you'll stay with the routine. You may choose to use a lunch break to do a short workout or some stretching routines to help relieve the stress and anxiety of work. Or you may find you prefer exercising at the end of the day.

Despite good intentions, however, you may find some days you don't have the time or desire to do a full routine exercise. Does that mean that if you can't do a full routine, you don't exercise? Not at all! While nothing takes the place of a regular exercise routine, here are some tips for fitting fitness in even when you are short on time.

Fitting Fitness In

~Instead of spending your time searching for the closest parking space, park your car further away. Not only do you save time, frustration, (and maybe gas) in finding a parking spot, but you also will use more energy walking.

~Whenever possible, carry your groceries to the car and load them yourself. You burn calories walking, and you use muscles lifting your groceries.

~Don't do drive-thrus. Park and get out of your car.

~Use stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.

~Climb your stairs at home.

~Walk or ride a bicycle instead of driving. You'll save gas and burn more calories while getting in shape. (My husband started biking when his car was at the garage. Now, he regularly bikes for enjoyment and fitness, not to mention less wear and tear on his vehicle.)

~If you use the bus as transportation, get off a stop earlier and enjoy a brisk walk.

~At work, take the long route to the water fountain, restrooms, copy machine, and cafeteria. Walk briskly.

~Stretch while standing in line.

~Use a speaker phone or cordless phone and walk or stand while talking. You burn more calories standing than sitting.

~Don't use the remote control. Get up and change channels. Better yet, if you must spend time in front of the television, try riding a stationary bike or using a treadmill or elliptical trainer. You can even do some simple stretches.

~If safe, walk within your apartment building or the mall.

~When picking up toys your children (or grandchildren) left out, practice flexibility exercises.

~Walk your pets (or your neighbor's pets).

~Put more effort into household chores. You cannot escape household work (unless you hire a maid), so why not put a little extra effort into it, and burn some extra calories in the process. Vacuuming, scrubbing the floor, and washing windows are all excellent ways to get in some activity. Do some simple stretches before and after to prevent injuries.

~Get rid of your riding lawn mower, and don't use the self-propelled feature on your mower to get a real strength training workout.

~Try doing something together as a family. Walk with your spouse. Ride bikes together. If you have children or grandchildren who are learning to ride a bicycle, jog alongside while they ride.

~Play ball, catch, frisbee, or any active game with your children or grandchildren.

~Spend time with a friend and walk around the block a couple times while getting caught up on the news. Make social time a time for fitness by playing tennis with a friend.

~You can exercise even at the office while you're sitting. Try the following: Kegel exercises, tightening your buttocks, flexing your feet and ankles (tracing the alphabet with your feet), slowly rolling your neck, shrugging your shoulders, stretching as high as you can.

The hardest part is getting started. And usually, the first few weeks are the most difficult. You're not in shape, and you're trying to adjust to a new routine. Unless you absolutely hate your program, stay with it. (If you hate it, try something different since it is easier to continue in something you enjoy. Some days you do not feel like doing even that which you enjoy.)

Most people who start an exercise routine quit within a few weeks. But if you make it past those first few months, you will probably stay with your routine, and you may even discover that you love it and can't do without it. I have!

Copyright Rachel Keller. Rachel is the editor of Time for Fitness, All Homemade Cookies, Rachel's Writings, and Kozy Kitchen Korner.

For more fitness articles by Rachel Keller, click here.
Sponsored Links