Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 10:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Personal Trainer To The Stars Reveals His Fitness Secrets"

Personal Trainer To The Stars Reveals His Fitness Secrets

July 17, 2003

link to article

As one of Hollywood’s most sought after fitness experts, Michael George has transformed some of Tinseltown’s most dynamic bodies, including those of actors Meg Ryan, Julianne Moore, Tobey McGuire, Reese Witherspoon, Dennis Quaid, Christian Slater, Sela Ward and James Spader, to name a few. With more than a decade of personal training experience and extensive education, Michael has developed his own unique mind, body and soul fitness regime integrating a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet for optimal energy and weight loss.

Recently, George revealed his fabulous four fitness secrets to help people everywhere look like a star.

1. Maintain a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet.

An advocate of a diet high in protein and low in carbohydrates for more than 10 years, Michael’s program was developed to combat the typically unsatisfactory results of low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets. “Many recent studies have shown that low-fat diets often do not satisfy the appetites of dieters, prompting them to regain any lost weight,” Michael added.

Dieters who consume a diet high in protein and low in carbohydrates experience rapid weight loss results with a long-term effect since the body will utilize fat stores much more efficiently, burning more fat instead of just burning carbohydrates as an energy source. This leaves the dieter full and more satisfied for a longer period of time, while providing consistent energy levels.

2. Start the day off right.

Your mom told you so and it’s true—breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Beginning your day with a high-protein, low-carbohydrate meal will not only set the tone for a day’s worth of balanced eating, but it will regulate chemical levels in the body limiting the urge to overeat mid-morning.

3. Move it to lose it.

Eating well alone will not help to reduce body fat and create lean muscle mass. Cardiovascular exercise and strength training, the second components to a healthy lifestyle, must also be incorporated into your daily plan for better health. To boost the body’s metabolism, a combination of cardiovascular exercise and strength training, which helps the body create lean muscle mass for optimal fat burning, is necessary.

The average person trying to maintain a healthy weight should work out three times a week with strength training for 20 to 30 minutes, and should also incorporate a cardiovascular workout four to five times a week. For someone trying to lose weight, they should work out for 45 minutes five to six times a week combined with strength training. As muscles are developed, they’re able to burn calories more efficiently and effectively, meaning those with a body composition that is higher in lean muscle-mass will burn more calories throughout the day, simply by conducting their day-to-day activities like walking up stairs or carrying groceries to the car.

4. Snack (that’s right, snack) Right.

For weight management, follow a structured nutritional plan that provides for five small meals per day versus two or three big meals per day. Each meal should be eaten every two and a half to three hours, consisting of three small meals and two snacks. Make your body fuel efficient, just like your car, by planning your (tune-ups) meals ahead of time. By fueling your body every couple of hours, you will be providing the ultimate nutrients your body needs to function properly.

A hard-boiled egg with some coleslaw, a small bowl or handful of cereal, two ounces of sliced turkey and an apple, a lettuce wrap with turkey and cheese or a medium turkey burger patty with five to six broccoli florets all provide satisfying high-protein, low-carbohydrate meals or snacks in smaller portions, to fuel your body throughout the day.

When training his celebrity clients, Michael often tells them to, “Take your eye off obstacles and look at where you want to go.” Even for those who don’t have a superstar paycheck, a screen-worthy body is within reach regardless of your current health and fitness levels.

As someone who experienced his own dramatic transformation, Michael remembers he was a chubby kid with bad eating habits—health and fitness literally saved his life. Michael stresses that it’s never too late to start a health and fitness routine. By keeping in mind a few simple health and fitness tips, your body will be on its way to looking and feeling its best.

To get started, contact your local gym. Most have on-staff personal trainers who will provide advice on the best fitness regime for your body-type. For more information on high-protein, low-carbohydrate meal ideas including Michael’s favorite, cereal, visit www.organicmilling.com or call 800-638-8686.

Copy courtesy of ARA Content
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 07:46

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 158/136/140 Female 5ft 10in
BF:
Progress: 122%

Interesting and very useful article. I agree with this guy. Thanks for posting it.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 08:06

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
A hard-boiled egg with some coleslaw, a small bowl or handful of cereal, two ounces of sliced turkey and an apple, a lettuce wrap with turkey and cheese or a medium turkey burger patty with five to six broccoli florets all provide satisfying high-protein, low-carbohydrate meals or snacks in smaller portions, to fuel your body throughout the day.

I agree with most of that except the cereal, and maybe the apple. It would have to be a very small apple. I don't know about eating so many times throughout the day, is that really necessary?

Quote:
For more information on high-protein, low-carbohydrate meal ideas including Michael’s favorite, cereal, visit www.organicmilling.com or call 800-638-8686.

Extruded grains? 'Taint food.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 08:11

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Yeah..the grain thing jumped out at me too. As for the small meals, some people need that others don't. I am starting to implement that because of hypoglycemia issues. While low carb took care of most of it, I still have trouble with being hungry after I eat and getting groggy, etc...

So, if you are losing weight and doing fine without eating a lot of small meals, don't worry about it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 08:41

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Not a bad article, because he at least recognized that lowering carbs is the best approach. However it's peppered with quite a few bits of unproven "common wisdom". Like having many small meals. That might might help some people, and maybe not some others. Dr Eades speculated on his blog that eating itself is inflammatory so there might be reasons to eat less often. Also the admonition of always eating breakfast. We have heard that over and over, but has it been proved? Sure, if not eating breakfast causes you to turn into a ravening beast come lunch, that's a clear indication that you need to eat. But not everyone has that reaction. These days I only have a latte for breakfast and I find it has little impact on my appetite.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 09:18
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Not a bad article, because he at least recognized that lowering carbs is the best approach. However it's peppered with quite a few bits of unproven "common wisdom". Like having many small meals. That might might help some people, and maybe not some others. Dr Eades speculated on his blog that eating itself is inflammatory so there might be reasons to eat less often. Also the admonition of always eating breakfast. We have heard that over and over, but has it been proved? Sure, if not eating breakfast causes you to turn into a ravening beast come lunch, that's a clear indication that you need to eat. But not everyone has that reaction. These days I only have a latte for breakfast and I find it has little impact on my appetite.

My day starts without specifically eating breakfast....I'll have my coffee, but eating has to wait....usually mid-AM I'll eat something for 'breakfast' but not any sooner than an hour or more after I wake up! I've done the eat breakfast soon after waking up, and totally skipping it all together....for me, it doesn't seem to factor into how much I wind up eating in a day overall, or my hunger at lunch or later in the day.....what I've found has the greatest impact on hunger later in the day is not enough protein earlier!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 10:00

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
My day starts without specifically eating breakfast....I'll have my coffee, but eating has to wait....usually mid-AM I'll eat something for 'breakfast' but not any sooner than an hour or more after I wake up! I've done the eat breakfast soon after waking up, and totally skipping it all together....for me, it doesn't seem to factor into how much I wind up eating in a day overall, or my hunger at lunch or later in the day.....what I've found has the greatest impact on hunger later in the day is not enough protein earlier!

Many people do IF and don't eat a thing until evening, and they do just fine. I usually eat only once or twice per day, with no set pattern. I do just fine no matter when, or how often, I eat.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 10:25

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Exactly. Not everyone HAS to eat many small meals. Not everyone HAS to eat breakfast. I seem to be doing better with it and fasting makes me batty.

That's because we all have individual little quirks to our metabolism.

I would LOVE to be able to IF...it would mean less cooking but that just doesn't work for me.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 10:34
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Exactly. Not everyone HAS to eat many small meals. Not everyone HAS to eat breakfast. I seem to be doing better with it and fasting makes me batty.

I would LOVE to be able to IF...it would mean less cooking but that just doesn't work for me.

I'm not sure I could IF....it sounds interesting and I'm intrigued, but I'm just not sure I'd be happy doing it since when I am hungry I do like to eat something! LOL - imagine that! That and I doubt I'd be able to consume enough protein in the period I could eat to meet my overall requirements, ya know?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 11:01
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla

I think you have to work up to it slowly, lengthening the fast period gradually. Also protein shakes are handy for meeting requirements without a lot of bulk and so is fish. I aim for at least 80g of protein/day and try to never fast longer than 48 hours. I do have more free time and notice a better body composition even if I don't lose any more weight.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 11:13

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
3. Move it to lose it.

Eating well alone will not help to reduce body fat and create lean muscle mass. Cardiovascular exercise and strength training, the second components to a healthy lifestyle, must also be incorporated into your daily plan for better health. To boost the body’s metabolism, a combination of cardiovascular exercise and strength training, which helps the body create lean muscle mass for optimal fat burning, is necessary.

The average person trying to maintain a healthy weight should work out three times a week with strength training for 20 to 30 minutes, and should also incorporate a cardiovascular workout four to five times a week. For someone trying to lose weight, they should work out for 45 minutes five to six times a week combined with strength training. As muscles are developed, they’re able to burn calories more efficiently and effectively, meaning those with a body composition that is higher in lean muscle-mass will burn more calories throughout the day, simply by conducting their day-to-day activities like walking up stairs or carrying groceries to the car.

No, that's not true. In my experience, the contrary is true.

Lifting heavy weights will make a person stronger. Running the treadmill will give a person more stamina. Neither will make them lose fat faster than staying in bed all day long. That's right folks, staying in bed all day long is the fastest way to lose fat. I've tried it and it works. 2 lbs during the month of training. 7 lbs during the month of staying in bed.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 11:10

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
I'm not sure I could IF....it sounds interesting and I'm intrigued, but I'm just not sure I'd be happy doing it since when I am hungry I do like to eat something! LOL - imagine that! That and I doubt I'd be able to consume enough protein in the period I could eat to meet my overall requirements, ya know?

That's the great thing about zero carb......most people just don't get hungry. It's quite easy to eat only once a day....or maybe twice in a 4 or 5 hour window.....if you are not eating carbs. Of course, if you are eating carbs, then you will get hungry.