Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-20, 13:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Try to find real butcher shops. The kind where the animal is delivered alive, butchered and put in freezer for sale. We have two within an hours drive.

They buy from local small farming operations.

Or buy direct from small operation.
The butchers know who the small operations are and might be willing to hook you up or have a buliten board to post a wanted note. Or check craigslist.

Intetesting note is both are in rich towns where those with the income live.

Grassfed v. free range. Free range can be open ban doors to walk outside......to me its usually just advertising duplicity. I look for grassfed AND organic......a tough combo to find at any price.

Im hoping to raise a bunch of cornish cross in the fall. Ten weeks of care, though can start processing the largest at 8 weeks. The flavor develops due to feed, exercise and age of bird 8 week old is mild compared to 4-6 mo old.

My first time butchering birds was to drop them off at butcher and return next day with cooler, then package up for freezer. Your butcher may offer wrapping services.Since then Ive learned how to ptocess and despite the personal upset rather like knowing the birds had the easiest possible ending, and a prayer of thanks. By processing my own I can keep the cost down by $5/bird.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-20, 13:41

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
.Since then Ive learned how to ptocess and despite the personal upset rather like knowing the birds had the easiest possible ending, and a prayer of thanks.

Same here - we say a prayer of thanksgiving & thank the critters - chickens & rabbits - for sustaining us. Knowing they aren't traumatised at the end is a plus.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-20, 14:26

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Sure makes me appreciate the food on my plate... where ever it comes from.

Sure wish the Queen would speak up for eating low carb...
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-20, 06:09

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
My first time butchering birds was to drop them off at butcher and return next day with cooler, then package up for freezer. Your butcher may offer wrapping services.Since then Ive learned how to ptocess and despite the personal upset rather like knowing the birds had the easiest possible ending, and a prayer of thanks. By processing my own I can keep the cost down by $5/bird.

I want this to be the wave of the future. Better all around.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-20, 07:03

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207/172/140 Female 5'3”
BF:
Progress: 52%

Love your post Kristine. Thank you!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-20, 07:05

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207/172/140 Female 5'3”
BF:
Progress: 52%

P.S. I also love your little quotes at the end of your post. Very helpful to me. Thank you.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-20, 06:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

It's funny that the Queen is considered "not a foodie" because she restricts certain foods. I thought the term for an eat-everything person was gourmand.

It's occurred to me that eating Primal as I do, mostly Carnivore and sandwich innards and frozen berries with my fingers, that I'm a "foodie," too.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-20, 07:06

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I always thought "foodie" meant someone who was interested in all aspects of food, not just the eating of it, but making it & the history of the ingredients. I consider myself a foodie.

I found out I was a foodie - tho I didn't know the term - back when I was a teenager. I fell in love with with Graham Kerr & learned how to really cook. Was I the only teenager to rush home from school to watch his show?
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-20, 08:23

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I always thought "foodie" meant someone who was interested in all aspects of food, not just the eating of it, but making it & the history of the ingredients. I consider myself a foodie.

I found out I was a foodie - tho I didn't know the term - back when I was a teenager. I fell in love with with Graham Kerr & learned how to really cook. Was I the only teenager to rush home from school to watch his show?

I don’t remember actually rushing home to watch Graham Kerr, but do remember that my best friend and I would watch it when we were able. And she, or her mother, had all the Time/Life series of international cookbooks; we loved those too. She is still one of the best cooks I know, and she says the same about me!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-20, 12:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheryl2020
P.S. I also love your little quotes at the end of your post. Very helpful to me. Thank you.
Thanks! They're among my faves that motivate me. I used to switch them up regularly... I should start doing that again. I tried adding one recently and the forum wouldn't let me because I ran over 500 characters. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS

That's the context I've always used "foodie", too. Seeing as she's wealthy enough for private chefs and any ingredients she wants, I'd agree she's "not a foodie" if she prefers fairly simple meals and doesn't care to chit chat about food. Me, I'd probably be fat and diabetic (or dead by now) because I'd be like, "go demand the chicken pasanda recipe from Taste of India restaurant! And I want onion bhaji with it!"

I remember watching some Graham Kerr, but I don't remember much about the show. I remember watching a Canadian show called The Urban Peasant. The host's name was James Barber. I couldn't remember his name, and noticed this tidbit about him on the wikipedia page:
Quote:
Perhaps fittingly, Barber died peacefully on 29 November 2007, at his farm of natural causes while sitting at the dining room table reading a cookbook with a pot of chicken soup simmering on the stove.[1] He was 84 years old and is survived by his wife and five children.

What a beauty. I wouldn't mind going like that.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Jul-12-20 at 12:52.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-20, 13:46

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I have a copy of the 1969 version of The Graham Kerr Cookbook by The Galloping Gourmet.