Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-20, 13:19

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I tried this about 7-8 years ago for a few months. I felt like garbage; weak and dizzy, exhausted.
However, I don’t eat red meat so I was not following it as intended!
Just adding a caution for anyone who is considering this and dislikes beef.

Personally I do well with veggies but they must be cooked, or it’s hard for me to digest. I even lightly steam things like carrots to have with dip.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-20, 17:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Umm...a carnivore diet without meat....isn’t carnivore. Somewhere on podcasts was a discussion it must be ruminant animals...some allow chicken or fish now and again for variety, but the nutrients from grazing are important.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 07:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

For an example, my own version of keto/carnivore, as written up for my new doctor, who has been on keto for 7 years! (I haven't had my official appointment yet, so I wrote up a one page summary.)

<20 carbs/90% animal products

Elimination of all reactive foods: sugar, grains, lectins, nightshades, soy, most seed oils

Unlimited: beef, pork, dark meat poultry, salmon, shrimp, tuna, eggs

Daily and/or small amounts: fermented high fat dairy, dill pickles, berries, cherries, onions, dark chocolate, guacamole

Oils: coconut, hemp, olive

Controlled for fiber content: greens, cabbage, carrots, celery, coconut

We did meet for DH's consult, and this doctor loves bulletproof coffee So do I.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 10:33

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

A friend of mine is chronically anemic. I keep trying to get her to eat meat and solve the problem. She is starting to loose it mentally and I know it's a loss of oxygen. Iron carries it to our body/brain. She insists on drinking a carton of chocolate milk after running saying it's what all runners do.....

We go out for lunch and I order a meal, she orders pastry, cake or pie.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 10:35

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Umm...a carnivore diet without meat....isn’t carnivore. Somewhere on podcasts was a discussion it must be ruminant animals...some allow chicken or fish now and again for variety, but the nutrients from grazing are important.

Right- I did eat lots of fish and eggs, chicken, turkey..... just no red meat, no organs, etc.... that really is cheating the system and definitely not what proponents have in mind!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 05:04

My library is giving me some lame excuse for not ordering Dr Baker's book...when publication was delayed, it was moved off list and they won’t get it back. Whatever...I found they had ordered Maria Emmerich's new The Carnivore Cookbook. The book has been released and that is on the way. Maria has been on a few podcasts about it. The first half of book is all about the carnivore diet, health, etc. so not just recipes.

Fast Keto (many more episodes about carnivore than just Maria) https://www.ketogenicgirl.com/pages...-ketogenic-girl

The Carnivore Cast...a new podcast, only a few episodes
Human Performance Outliers...had Emmerich on way back.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-12-20 at 06:07.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 08:16

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Joe Rogan is embracing carnivore this month, he's doing blood tests and body comp before and after, but has been blabbing on Twitter how he feels (high energy for one) and his plans for a weight loss show in February. Interested to hear how you and your brother find it...I have to overcome the boring attitude.

This has been the biggest challenge for me with going mostly animal based. After doing it for about a month I got so bored that I decided to go back to low carb, but within a few days I missed the simplicity of carnivore and went back to it. Now I just try and make sure I have a variety of animal based foods on hand all the time. People like Dr. Baker only eat rib-eyes for the most part, but I could never eat just one thing!

Last edited by DaisyDawn : Tue, Jan-14-20 at 08:45.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 08:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I have always been pro fresh veggie. I belonged to two fruit and veggie co-ops, kept a whole inventory of every veggie and I was eating a new one every day. Then when I went LC I replaced the carb (on the plate) with another veggie. So I ate 3-4 oz of meat and lots of veggies.
Now, I eat much less veggies and basically no fruit.
It's like my body got to the point where it said, "too many veggies" It took me a while to listen because I was in disbelief.
Now I do so much better with a big steak taking up the whole plate and some Zucchini next the steak and I might not eat all of the Z either. Usually I eat a half of a Ribeye 7-8oz but sometimes 3/4ths 8-10oz.

Prior to going low carb and then more carnivore I was following a whole foods, plant based diet and using the recommendations from the Imperial College London-meaning I was eating a minimum of 800g a day of veg/fruit, 10+ servings a day. Cutting back on veg/fruit was the hardest thing for me when I transitioned to low carb. Now though, I don't eat any veg/fruit and I don't miss them at all, and my GI issues are all resolved whew!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 10:15

I am working through some of the Carnivore podcasts on Fast Keto, or Ketogenic Girl, linked above. Not my favorite interviewer but if interested in carnivore, she'll have to do. There is a Q & A with both Maria and Craig Emmerich, they use it as an elimination diet to determine foods that may cause your health problems. First, One month of only Beef & Salt! (Yikes ). Then a protocol to add other foods. One month is a loooong time.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 14:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDawn
Prior to going low carb and then more carnivore I was following a whole foods, plant based diet and using the recommendations from the Imperial College London-meaning I was eating a minimum of 800g a day of veg/fruit, 10+ servings a day. Cutting back on veg/fruit was the hardest thing for me when I transitioned to low carb. Now though, I don't eat any veg/fruit and I don't miss them at all, and my GI issues are all resolved whew!

Whe I got so sick it was the last thing on my mind that it was the fiber in the veggies. I had no GP so went to a variety f doctors trying to diaagnose this myself. First a GYN to have those areas checked with an V-ultrasound, recommended my the 30 year nurse of my old doctor who died and her doctor wasn't taking new patients. The pain was radiating front back lower and could barely stand up straight. I GP who said I was too young for GI issues and at that time I was completely bent over. Then a Gastro wos PA laughed at my pain and said I'd be alright. Went home to die in bed basically in severe pain and couldn't hardly get out of bed by myself, had to hold the walls to get to the bathroom. I was surviving from eating the broth at from chinee restaurant. Long story but it took e months to get through that and finally realize that it was the fiber in the veggies with Gastro#2 telling me to eat oatmeal (fiber) OMG I ignored this, threw his bag of immune-disrupting type of free pills into the back of the cabinet (from the saleseman) who was bringing in free lunches every time I was therte , ignored that he said my immune system was over reacting..not Not Lupus but like Lupus,,not.
I tell you it was a ride from hell. Thee doctors are hypnotized by big pharma.
I did use this doctor for a colonoscopy, but that's all he was good for!!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 14:58

BF:

Quote:
Whe I got so sick it was the last thing on my mind that it was the fiber in the veggies. I had no GP so went to a variety f doctors trying to diaagnose this myself. First a GYN to have those areas checked with an V-ultrasound, recommended my the 30 year nurse of my old doctor who died and her doctor wasn't taking new patients. The pain was radiating front back lower and could barely stand up straight. I GP who said I was too young for GI issues and at that time I was completely bent over. Then a Gastro wos PA laughed at my pain and said I'd be alright. Went home to die in bed basically in severe pain and couldn't hardly get out of bed by myself, had to hold the walls to get to the bathroom. I was surviving from eating the broth at from chinee restaurant. Long story but it took e months to get through that and finally realize that it was the fiber in the veggies with Gastro#2 telling me to eat oatmeal (fiber) OMG I ignored this, threw his bag of immune-disrupting type of free pills into the back of the cabinet (from the saleseman) who was bringing in free lunches every time I was therte , ignored that he said my immune system was over reacting..not Not Lupus but like Lupus,,not.
I tell you it was a ride from hell. Thee doctors are hypnotized by big pharma.
I did use this doctor for a colonoscopy, but that's all he was good for!!

Yikes! Glad you were able to figure things out, it's crazy how fiber is pushed as such a good thing but most likely is causing so many people problems!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 15:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDawn
Yikes! Glad you were able to figure things out, it's crazy how fiber is pushed as such a good thing but most likely is causing so many people problems!

Yea, thats why if I hear "eat more fiber" now I know it's pure BS, just as much of a lie as low-fat.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 14:40

OK, Carnivore Friends....here's Joe Rogan after a month on the diet: https://apple.news/AYUn5gnAwRrGJLS2pZajusQ
No blood work yet, but this photo is from the high quality medical journal "GiveMeSport".

Short video clip on his Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/joerogan/...amazing-lots-of

Ps: I did Carnivore for a month too, but I do not have abs like that!

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Feb-02-20 at 15:20.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 14:55

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Jean, for me too it was the fiber. Now that I am much better I do love Zucchini, yellow squash but I still can't find any green beans these days that aren't tough and fibrous so I am giving up on those even though I use to love them.
Along with all of those veggies I was having before I was also eating salad daily but I haven't started that back up, i'm still staying away from raw.
I use celery in cooking but I remove all of the fibrous strings before chopping.
If I have Broccoli, I definitely discard the fibrous stems and eat the florets only.

You definitely need a pen of hens!!!! Toss them the scraps and get eggs in return !!

Its the young veggies that have the least fiberous material; by late summer, the older beans are like chewing gum !! Just the fiber left to chew and chew like cud, lol.

Ps. My hens are laying again!!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 16:05

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Since nothing else has every worked for me yet I have toyed with the idea of going carnivore. They problem is that I don’t especially like meat and never have. I do eat it, but I never love it or crave it. From a taste and satisfaction standpoint I still (even after 14 years in the LC wheelhouse this time around) I still crave a big dish of mac and cheese way more than I do a steak. Of course I don’t EAT the mac and cheese but it’s still what I would prefer!

I even bought Maria Emmerich’s new Carnivore cookbook since I’ve always loved her recipes and though she might help me find a few new ways to actually like meat, but no such luck yet! Each recipe I’ve tried just basically makes me think “ugh, meat”.

The only recipe I loved was the scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and mascarpone cheese!

Maybe carnivore would be my magic bullet but so far it’s just too depressing to think of a diet that consists of about 90% food I don’t like (I do love bacon 🥓 however LOL)