Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 20:46

Plan: protein power
Stats: 200/187/140
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default need help choosing a plan

Hi! I'm looking for a plan that I can live with for the duration. I've
done atkins since May and have lost 10#'s and I just want a plan that I can live with. I bought Susanne Somers new book and I think the plan might be the one to meet my needs. I am 53yrs
old,190#'s,5'5" and I need to lose at least 40lbs more.
I walk 2mi/day and just started lifting weights but I need more freedom with my eating plan.
Are there any comments or advice about this plan(pros&cons)?
Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 19:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 269/256/130
BF:
Progress: 9%

hiya Thriftigi,

Well I can only tell you what I have done.....
I tried somersizing and although yes your food choices are much more vast and not really low carb either, I found it hard because for me, once I am allowed to have say a bowl of pasta ( whole grain or not) I am just too tired to do anything...and then all I want is more of those same foods....now you my not be hypoglycemic as I am so I guess you'll have to try it out and see how you feel with it....
I hate to see you stop Atkins' though, maybe there are some things you can do to rev up your system into a fat burning one???
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 21:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%

Quote:
"I'd hate to see you stop Atkins"

I've been wondering lately about this plan I'm on. It's been working for me pretty well but I'm afraid that I won't be able to live this forever. That quote spoke volumes to me. I think to a certain extent we need to trust each other here when we are speaking from experience, and Dawn, I will trust you on this one. I didn't think too much about how I'd feel if I ate pasta or any of the other legals on Somersizing but wow, you put the "scare" in me, so I'll back off the idea for now.

Also, that you are from Florida is a HUGE plus!! I was born and raised (27 years) in St. Petersburg and plan to move back next year, to the Ocala-Gainesville area. I've been here in Idaho for 3 years and realized that it's really easy to get fat living up north! Too many months sitting inside .

Carianne
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 13:52

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think Suzanne has some of the most fabulous recipes around, and her plan is good. But, as a diabetic, I can't eat the carb meals. It gets my sugars too high and then I want SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR!!! Also, the food combining got too difficult for me. However, I have seen lots of success with her plan. You might want to give Schwarzbein a try (she wrote the forward in Suzanne's book). You eat carbs with each meal, along with protein and fat, but the carbs are limited. She also stresses whole foods and not processed foods.

Whatever you choose, you're smart to try and make it something you can live with instead of just a weight loss plan. Best of luck to you,
Susan
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 15:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%
Default Thank you...

Susan, for the advice. It seems like so often I go back and forth. One week I love this plan, Atkins, and the next week I'm feeling deprived and want things I can't have that would be legal on another plan. Over all it's working for me and I enjoy that, so I will stick to Atkins for a bit longer. But Schwartzbien is the next on my list of books to read so I can get informed about that plan. It sounds like it might be what will be more liveable in the long run. The whole foods thing sounds like a concept I have already accepted into my life. That part of this WOE makes me feel so great! I never cared for cheezits in the form of basketballs and scary monsters. Processed foods - and I won't feed them to my 2 year old son.

Have a great day!
Carianne