Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 19:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Atkins Response after Taubes article

Date: Thursday, 18 July 2002, at 8:34 a.m.

It Really Has Been a Big Fat Lie
Letter from Dr. Atkins.

Dear Friend:
Sunday, July 7, 2002, was one of the most gratifying days of my life—and one that validated the controlled carbohydrate nutritional approach to weight management and good health. On that day the New York Times Magazine cover story titled What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?, by Gary Taubes, told millions of readers that the low-fat hypothesis has failed the test of time.

After hundreds of millions of dollars and 20 years of research, studies on low-fat programs have not proved to promote good health and extend life. This watershed article in a mainstream consumer publication accurately describes the scientific basis and effects of a controlled carbohydrate lifestyle, mirroring my conclusions from 40 years of clinical experience: The low-fat belief system causes individuals to over-consume high carbohydrate foods, which in turn has contributed to the current epidemics of both obesity and diabetes.

Taubes, a freelance investigative science writer who authored “The Soft Science of Dietary Fat,” which was published in the respected journal Science (March 30, 2001, Volume 291, pages 2536-2545; www.sciencemag.org) is one of the growing number of reporters who actually review all the relevant research and report the facts without bias. He interviewed many of the best researchers in the field of medical nutrition, including respected scientists at Harvard, Stanford, the University of Pennsylvania, Tufts, the University of Connecticut and other institutions. All agreed that the controlled carb approach to weight control and healthy living has been neglected and the
subject should be studied further. This is something that I have advocated for the last 20 years. In fact, these scientists report that the preliminary research on controlled carb nutritional programs demonstrates both an improvement in health risk factors and greater weight loss than on low-fat regimens. What remains to be seen is whether these observations hold up in long-term trials. I have absolutely no doubt that what I have seen in my 40 years of clinical practice will hold true during long-term trials—the Atkins Nutritional Approach will become the treatment of choice for weight management, good health and disease prevention.

One can only speculate on the reasons why the medical profession has turned a blind eye to the uncannily parallel timing of our being told to cut fat consumption and eat large amounts of starchy foods and the growth of obesity—and diabetes—in this country and around the world. It is even more curious when you consider the medical mantra: “We believe in evidence-based medicine.”

The complex web of forces seems to boil down to a single answer: economics. There is far more profit to be made by selling packaged foods made with cheap ingredients such as sugar and flour than by selling meat, fish, eggs and fresh vegetables.

As Taubes points out, the last 20 years have shown a marked decrease in the average percentage of calories from fat in our diets, and along with it, an increase in grain consumption of nearly 60 pounds annually per person! Meanwhile, yearly consumption of sugar and sweeteners such as high-fructose corn syrup has jumped by 30 pounds per person yearly. Considering that these trends represent a major shift in the diet that Americans had consumed for generations, isn't it also curious that no major scientific studies that examine the health impact of sugar and refined flour
consumption have been funded during this time? My answer is the same: economics. Neither the government nor the food industry was interested in discovering that the policy they respectively initiated and benefited from was actually exacerbating the obesity epidemic and the risk of disease.

This is but one example of our adopting medical policies on the basis of research that fits the agenda of big business. This past week, another news-breaking story shines a light into a similar agenda of the pharmaceutical industry. It turns out that a major study shows that an oral hormone treatment for menopausal women that combines synthetic estrogens and progesterone may actually increase the likelihood of heart disease, cancer and other illnesses. This drug is one of the most frequently prescribed pharmaceuticals on the market and has earned its manufacturer billions of dollars. Two other examples of conventional medical assumptions that have recently been questioned are the use of mammograms to detect breast cancer and knee replacement as a solution to arthritis.

The time is ripe for people to look more critically at the health teachings that have been propagated by mainstream medicine and therefore taken for granted. You can contribute to a groundswell of people demanding that drug companies, health organizations and the government cease following their own agendas and more carefully scrutinize nutritional and medical approaches and pharmaceutical products before making them standard treatment.

In the 10 days since The New York Times Magazine article appeared we have seen a definite shift in the media to a more open-minded attitude toward the controlled carbohydrate nutritional approach. The July 16 edition of NBC’s “Dateline” was one of the best examples. For a transcript, go to http://msnbc.com/news/780727.asp. Click on the words "Play Video" underneath the photo and enjoy an entertaining eight-minute rebroadcast.

The New York Times article may have gotten got the ball rolling but to help keep the momentum strong, there are a few simple but truly important things you should do as soon as possible. To make a difference, please do the following:

Send the New York Times Magazine article by Gary Taubes (and the link to
the“Dateline” video clip) to your family, your friends, the people you know who have told you doing Atkins was wrong and—most importantly—to your doctor. We can only hope that they read it and open their minds to the understanding that the Atkins Nutritional Approach is all about controlling your carbohydrate intake to ensure you are laying the foundation for a healthy lifetime. Lobby your senators and congressman by e-mailing and writing to ask them to abolish the misguided Food Guide Pyramid—it is still being taught today to young children at elementary schools across our country—and replace it with nutritional recommendations that limit the intake of sugar, other refined carbohydrates and trans fats. Demand of these same elected representatives that more dollars be allocated by the government for scientific research on the effect of controlling carbohydrates on obesity and diabetes.

Contact your local, state and national representatives and let them know that you are deeply troubled with the food labeling guidelines in our country. Tell them that we would all be better informed—and could all make smarter health choices—if food labels identified the carbohydrates that impact blood sugar and contribute to obesity and diabetes and those that do not.

Tell everyone—your elected officials, the news media and us (via our Web site) your experience with specific health markers, including a reduction in cholesterol and triglyceride levels and reducing dependence on medications such as insulin as a result of doing Atkins. Such testimonials can work in concert with the emerging research on the benefits of controlling carbs.

The Atkins revolution is here! Now let’s join forces to ensure that the truth be heard.

SOUCE:Atkins Newsletter
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 20:10

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

I'm glad he feels better now. It must have been hard being a minority of one for so many years. And seeing how other doctors have talked to Atkins straight to his face in such a demeaning way in the past such as at the Great Nutrition Debate of 2000, I'm glad Atkins has lived to see the day when he can do a little "I-told-you-so" dance. I think all of us need validation every now and again.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 08:24
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Write to your US Congressmen!

I think Dr. Atkins suggestion to write to our congressmen is an excellent idea. If you agree click here to do so easily.

I am also planning to write to Dr. Atkins to thank him for his perseverance and dedication to this issue. Just think of the impact it has had and will have in the future on the health of millions of us. Quite an accomplishment for one lifetime, wouldn't you say?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 16:32

Plan: Atkins (sort of)
Stats: 167/153/121
BF:
Progress: 30%
Cool Big Fat Lie

And futher to that...
Congratulations to
"The Australian Financial Review" Weekend Edition 20 July
for printing Gary Taub's article in full. No excuse now for informed, intelligent Australians to live in the darkness of a low-fat WOL.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 17:25

Plan: restarting Protein Power
Stats: 185/?/147
BF:
Progress: 63%

Two things - can anyone speak any other languages? I'd like to see the Taubes article translated into all the major languages of europe and the far east.

The other thing is, Atkins, bless his cotton socks, I'm not sure if he's always the best of diplomats though. I have no doubt that his theories deserve more investigation. But then, do the conspiracy theories go anywhere? Would he not have been able to make it simpler, and just say "sugar is bad for you - and here's why" - and then go on to explain it - rather than blaming big business for putting profit before health? It's all very nice and anti-capitalist, but I don't think it makes friends with government leaders.

But then, on the other hand, maybe it has been necessary for Atkins to stir controversy in order to be noticed at all. Still, hey, it looks like it's beginning to happen now, and that's definitely a good thing.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 20:59

BF:

As far as translation, I don't think anyone comes to this forum who can't read English, but if I want to translate anything I go to:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

As far as blaming big business, I think it is pretty justified after reading Dr. Enig's article at:

http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/oiling.html
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 16:50

Plan: Atkins (sort of)
Stats: 167/153/121
BF:
Progress: 30%
Exclamation Big Business and Governments

I am a capitalist (in training) but don't believe wealth has to be gained by harming others etc. Unfortunately, it does happen.
The worst part though is that we poor mortals are under the misguided impression that we live in democracies and our governments and health organisations inform us and look after our well being! Atkins and Taub have shown that is not the case. They are not alone. Dr Samuel Epstien is another, as are authors Ransom & Day. I'm not one for conspiracy theories as such, but stuff I've learned recently really drives home the need for us all to be more informed and take responibility for our own health and lives.
Thank goodness people like Atkins and Epstien have gone past fruitlessly trying to influence governments directly and made so much public noise that the authorities cannot shut them down. Heaps of points for having the conviction to do what 99.9% of the population don't have the courage to do.

#8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 17:29

BF:

Thank you for your insightful input. For those not familiar with Dr. Epstein:

http://www.morefromlife.co.uk/pract...rprevention.htm

http://www.safe2use.com/ca-ipm/01-03-23a.htm
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 10:54
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

The only part about the article that bothered me was Gary Taubes comments:

Quote:
The fact that Atkins himself has had heart trouble recently does not ease my anxiety, despite his assurance that it is not diet-related.

To me, it almost seemed to discredit the rest of the article. Taubes could have at least mentioned that Atkin's cardiomyopathy was caused by a bacterial infection.

However, I admit that great strides were made and maybe Atkins didn't want to sweat the small stuff.

Wanda
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 01:13
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 117/115/105
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi Squidgy,

Happy to tell you that the article was also published in Hk's major English newspaper. The story was made the cover story of it's weekly magazine!!!

I resumed the diet (I adopted the diet Dec 99 for 1-2 months then quitted) right after I read that article :P

Ally
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 20:55
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 168/164/108
BF:
Progress: 7%
Unhappy

re conspiracy theories:

People conspire. That's how things happen, usually.

Re diet, travel to what were 3rd world countries 30 years ago, and you'll see coca-cola / pepsi wars, cheap carbohydrate junk, and growing incidence of obesity in the formerly thin locals. Hmm, is the economic conspiracy a little easier to discern in that case??

In Guatemala it is a well-documented fact of fruit companies' gathering locals into the churches in the town squares, and burning them to the ground (at least as late as 1987 to my knowledge) if the people refused to work their own land for slave labor rates, while the fruit companies took the profit. Hmm, any conspiracy there? Could that be why all those years, we got no news from the south of USA?

Anyone remember the name of the tobaco baron who got the civil wars started in Guatemala because the people were on the verge of democracy, and would be less easy to control? Same guy who promoted smoking by the suffragettes, while sternly disallowing smoking by his own wife and daughters? Conspiracy? Yes, with plenty of thought put into it.

If you spend a few minutes wondering why the push to eat cheap carbs by the media / government, what do you come up with?

Guess I'd better quit ranting and raving...