Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 19:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Niiiiiiiiiiice

I've been writing my workout progress in my journal, but then I noticed people have gym logs, so I started one.

Just for anyone's information who is visiting, niiiiiice is just something rock climbers say alot, usualy when you stick a really good move or something, but you start saying it for anything surprisingly cool.

I go to a rock climbing gym that has cardio equipment, weight equipment, classes like spinning, abs, and yoga, and of course tons of climbing walls. I don't know anyone around here who climbs though, so I don't have a partner wich limits me to bouldering (not going high enough to need ropes) at a fairly low level that I can do without needing a spotter for safety. Hopefully after a few weeks of easing back into climbing and hanging around the gym I'll meet people to climb with so I can make progress.

Here's what I've done so far:

10/7 jogged 3/4 mile, walked another 1/2 mile
10/9 jogged 3/4 mile, walked another 3/4 mile, traversed around on the climbing walls
10/11 jogged .8 mile, walked the rest to 1.5 miles, sent 2 V0- boulder problems.

10/13 jogged 3/4 mile, walked the rest to 1.5 miles.

I'm going to start going two days in a row now that I'm getting back into the swing of exercising regularly. I have to start slow because I have asthma, but my lungs get stronger fast if I keep with a regular schedule and keep pushing myself slowly but surely.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-04, 16:02

BF:

10/14 Jogged the mile, no stopping! cooled down 1/2 mile. Did the same V0-s again for warmup, worked on red V0+, I can do this one if I'm fresh.

Whew, I'm soooo pooped.

Funny how some days working out just tires you out more than others.

Sat 10/16 jogged .5mi, uphill walk .5mi, cool down .5mi

worked on a V0 (black) and a V0+(red), I know I'll get them soon, I get more moves every time I go to the gym. I climbed hard today, had a couple real falls, which is good 'cause it means I'm pushing myself to the limits, and I have a blister on my finger, also a sign of accomplishment. Climbers have fun comparing bruises, blisters, calluses, and cuts (outdoor climbing only). I have a nice scar on my wrist from castle rock last summer.

I've had 0 cravings the past few days. Just eating exactly what the good Dr. A ordered and feeling very in control of my food, not feeling like food controlls me. And that is with the stress of job interviews, life decisions, and the GRE!

Last edited by jamian : Sat, Oct-16-04 at 16:17.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-04, 20:20

BF:
Default Format

Ok, so I have decided to keep my workout and food info and planning in here and let my journal be for the emotional and logistical issues of this WOL and other personal stuff.

Following is how I am going to make Atkins work for my life for the rest of my life.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-04, 21:03

BF:
Arrow The Plan:

Induction until I weigh <150lb.-this is the weight I consider "normal" for me.
20 carbs or less per day.
Whole foods only.
Induction-list vegetables only.
No sweets of any kind except Splenda and AceK
No cheats whatsoever, weigh in every five days, chart weight loss per 5d.
Baked products allowed only in emergencys, only ones I know
are not triggers (LTF tortillas, CarbSense cookies, flax muffins)
*I'm guessing I'll be loosing about 2 lb/5d, should take untill about the end
of Oct.; about three weigh-ins.

OWL
Transition to 30 carbs/day by 5c incriments
Track weight loss for 3+ weigh-ins at 30c/d
Add-ins:
more of slightly starchier vegetables (more onions, tomatoes, pods,
avocado, etc.)
LTF tortillas
nuts&seeds
more of lower carb condiments and sauces, yougurt occasionally
*I 'm guessing I'll loose about 1-1.5lb/5d down to about 145 about
mid-Nov.

Back to induction, see if you can go back to loosing more for 1-2 weigh-ins, just to check if this strategy works for the future, or if my metabolism adjusts to Atkins.

Transition to maintenance by 5c incriments starting about in Dec.
Continue to weigh in every 5d. When WL stops, this is my CCLM.
Add Ins:
Higher carb whole grain/soy products: LC bread, bagels, cereal
Berries sparingly
Higher carb vegies/legumes like carrotts, peas, beans sparingly
Still no SA, Aspartame, or stallers, as these may affect CCLM

By new year I should know exactly how my body handles every phase of Atkins and be able to keep up sucessful maintenance!

Last edited by jamian : Sat, Oct-16-04 at 21:13.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-04, 21:07

BF:
Default Results

Oct 15 154.8
20/1300
Oct 20 150.8
20/1300
Oct 25 150.8
Day 1-3 20/1800 (Cal Up)
Day 4 20/1500
Day 5 40/1500
Oct 30 152.2
20/1500
Nov 4 149.6
~23/1500
Nov 9 148.2
~20/1600
Nov 13 146.4
Nov 19 149.0
Nov 24 147.8
Pigged out over TG but no carbage.
Maintaining at about 25-30/2000, not exrcising.
Dec 12 146.4

Last edited by jamian : Sun, Dec-12-04 at 15:34.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 18:58

BF:
Default 10/18 1.25 mi nst

Mon 10/18 after GRE wanted to keep my good week going and go for a really good run. Made it to 1.25 miles no stopping, could have done more but didn't want to be wiped out for my interview the next day. Didn't climb, letting my muscles recover really well and letting my pinky blister heal into a nice callus. Wed I think. I can still feel strained muscles in my wrists. I think I can run a lot more when I don't climb first. I hardly broke a sweat. It wasn't because I was more fueled, I hadn't eaten a meal in almost 8 hrs, just a couple carbsense cookies. Could have been the time, it was much later than usual. I'll keep an eye on this. I may go run again tonight, I don't feel fatigued and weigh in is tomorrow, so it would probably be wise.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 18:59

BF:

Sorry, removed this post, thought I was in my journal, not gym log

Last edited by jamian : Tue, Oct-19-04 at 19:08.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 10:21

BF:
Default Sent a V0+!

Sent my first V0+! On to V1s soon, but I haven't done a V0 yet! I'm working on some. I'm feeling like a real climber again.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 11:09

BF:

Up to 1.5miles as of Saturday 10/23 for my jog. 2 mi including warm down and 200+ cals burned.

Working on a fun V0 that goes over the mouth of a cave w/my legs hanging down. Very dramatic falls

No weight loss today at weigh in. I've been at about 1500 cals, I'll try upping that, maybe I'm in starvation mode after so much loss last week and so much new exercise. Add bigger breakfast and snacks up to ~1800 max
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 18:42

BF:

Sent red and orange V0 (barely, I should do it again propperly next time), and white V0 on the arrette, that one has been giving me pains, thought I'd never get it.

Must remember to drop heel, I'm going to serriously hurt my ankle again otherwise! My calfs are giving out because I point my toe too hard, very bad habbit! Takes less energy too.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-30-04, 23:22

BF:
Default 2 miles!

Ran 2 miles at 5.0 tonight! Did some light climbing to remind my hands that I'm still at this. Traversed to the left, practiced dropping the heel. Got on a V1 that I can totally do. That will be great to send a V1. Going to check out Mission cliffs next week in SF. So nice that the membership carries over
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-30-04, 23:24

BF:

Oh yes, and I was up 1.4 lb this morning. Looks like the high cal wasn't such a good idea. Checked BMR calculators, I should be having 12-1600 cals. I stick around 1500, with my normal food that is how much I need to be satiated, don't even have to count usually. 5 more days, I think next weigh in will be good, under 150.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-04, 00:26

BF:
Default 3 Miles!

Yep, did it! The big 3.0!

Going to climb, just climb, and climb HARD tomorrow, must keep up my calluses!

For running I've found a very effective pattern of doing an endurance run about once a week, setting a new high each time for distance at 5.0mph, and doing a very high intensity workout about once a week where I do several relatively short incriments at 6.0-6.5 with brisk walks in between. It is very good for conditioning and I don't have to shoot for records or feel let down if I don't make it as far one day as I did the day before. In between these benchmark workouts I do a couple moderate-intensity joggs.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-04, 20:19

BF:

Climbed today, almost an hour. Not as long as I was planning on, but my heart just wasn't in it. I think all my heart for the weekend went into that 3mi run yesterday. I did do a V1, I think it was my first, so that is a good accomplishment. On the other hand, there were V0s I couldn't do. Ive tried pretty much every rout out up to V1. There are more V1s I think I can get eventually. We may make a real climber of me yet someday. SF Mission cliffs is nice, the crowd feels very good, I'm looking forward to climbing there soon.