Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 18:30
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/156/140
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Interesting Atkins message

A Message from Dr. Atkins

Atkins products are specifically formulated to minimize the impact of carbohydrates on a person's blood sugar level because elevated blood sugar and the resulting excess insulin production can inhibit weight loss, weight management and increase the risk of disease and illness. We accomplish this in our product formulation by understanding that not all carbohydrates behave the same way in a person's body. While most carbohydrates - sugar, which imparts 4 calories per gram, is the best example - are digested by your body and turned into blood sugar, other carbohydrates behave differently. Some carbs are digested by your body but not turned into glucose. And, some carbs - such as fiber - can impart as little as 0 calories per gram, are not digested at all and pass through your body as waste. In either of these last two cases there is no noted impact on blood sugar levels. However, the FDA and other health organizations have not yet focused on this important biochemical difference and treat all carbohydrates as the same.
The nutritional information on Atkins food products is intended to help consumers understand exactly how we formulate our products so that the consumer has the knowledge necessary to follow a controlled carbohydrate nutritional approach and eat healthy foods. Thus, for Atkins Advantage™ Bars, the "net" carb count listed in the Total Carbohydrate statement is completely accurate for Atkins followers, and the "gross" carb count matters very little. Example:
Atkins Chocolate Mocha Crunch Advantage Bar Total Carbohydrate (as defined by the FDA) 19 grams
Non-Caloric and/or Non-blood sugar impacting Carbs 15.5 grams
Polydextrose/Fiber 11 grams
Glycerine 4.5 grams
Net Carbohydrates of interest to consumers who do Atkins 3.5 grams
(Mainly from the soy nuggets, cocoa and residual carbs found in the sources for the protein blend)
Millions of people have benefited and continue to benefit from the Atkins Nutritional Approach™ and the products we have created to support this approach. Healing and helping people is the cornerstone of the mission of the company. Atkins has been working very closely with the FDA in a spirit of cooperation.
Our goal has been to provide accurate information to Atkins consumers and others for who blood sugar levels is a real health issue. Atkins believes consumers would benefit tremendously by understanding the relative importance of the impact different types of carbohydrates have on blood sugar and that this information should be presented right on the nutrition facts panel.
We certainly understand and respect that the FDA has now made the decision that requires all food products labels include all nutrients defined as carbohydrates by the FDA - and that these nutrients be listed in the Total Carb statement on the Nutrition Facts Panel. Atkins will therefore update all its labels to comply with this directive. This process is underway and can be seen on Atkins™ Ready-To-Drink Shakes, Atkins™ Shake Mixes, Atkins™ Quick & Easy Mixes and many other Atkins products. It is presently being accomplished on Atkins Advantage™ Bars, Atkins™ Breakfast Bars and Atkins Endulge™ Bars. Current product with existing labels will be sold through and then be replaced by product with the FDA-mandated labels. Consumers should start seeing these new labels in early 2002. The new labels will fully comply with the FDA ruling. And, our labels will also become even clearer about the benefits of the Atkins Nutritional Approach™ so that consumers who want to moderate their refined carbohydrate intake will understand the health benefits of Atkins products.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 18:43
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Great news!

What is rarely taken into condsideration is that weight loss is not necassarily just about carbs. It can have a lot to do with your feelings or attachment to certain foods or flavours.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 19:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

I find it hard to digest that the same website with headliners like "Sugar, the Anti-Nutrient" and "The Sugar Rollercoaster" ... sells more syrup, sweet chocolate icecream dessert cakes pastries and the like ... all with maltitol of course ... It's like LowCarb METHADONE.

Where's the behaviour change? Where's the new WOL everyone likes to say they're following? All they've done is substitute highly processe carbs ... with highly processed carbs that the body doesn't really recognise as carbs.

IMHO, it's just clever marketing. They have a product to sell. Make no mistake, they read all the message boards, and know that experienced lowcarbers are suggesting to avoid the bars and processed lowcarb candy and desserts.

Ya, I know, I'm ranting

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 21:51
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/156/140
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default I knew it!

Ha ha...I knew that you'd jump all over this one, Doreen. LOL
Donna
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-01, 09:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Red face Awwww ... thanks Donna.

I'm glad folks recognize where I stand .. after all these months of volunteering hours every day to help others be successful with their lowcarbing efforts. Like the song ".. You gotta STAND for something, or you're gonna FALL for anything."

Now, if someone ever develops a lowcarb potato chip or french fry .. that actually tastes good, I'm in big trouble!!

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-01, 09:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/160/125
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default lol

Doreen,

I am with you on that potato chip thing!!

In a perfect world, Maybe.

#7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-01, 19:02
Registered Member

Stats: 133/126/
BF:
Progress: 54%

I'm only new at this LCing but have been fighting addictions to foods all my life (candida). LC is a whole new way of eating. No substitutes for me ie sugar, bread, protein bars. I have to stay away from it all as the addiction for me is not just the taste but the idea of what type of foods I can eat. Eating LC bread is too close to eating 'real' bread, protein bars - chocolate bars.

I have spent the last 25 years trying to control the bad bacteria in my system. Have got it under control a few times but then I go back to my back eating habits, fruit has always been my biggest downfall (but fruit is good for you - isn't it!!!!!). Not this time, LC WOE is my life from now on.

Deb
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-01, 22:13

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Yes, fruit is good for us!

Avocadoes, olives, green peppers, zucchini, cucumber, eggplant - all of these are 'officially' fruits: edible parts of a plant containing seeds. So if people think we're not healthy because we don't eat fruit - we DO! And we can tell 'em so!

By the way, I agree with you that entirely changing the way we eat is the key to low-carbing success - for me, anyway. I have the odd low-carb pancake with sugar-free syrup and don't worry about it, but now that I've lost the habit, I'll do this just every couple of weeks or so, if that. I've recently started eating brocolli for breakfast!

Rachel
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 03:10

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hmmm brocolli for breakfast, that's an idea. I was just looking in my fridge and am out of eggs. I just might cook some brocolli up instead. Thanks for the idea!

Raven
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 09:23

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Try dipping it in a bit of mayo. Makes a great breakfast!

Rachel
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 11:19

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Makin' $$$

Okay, Dr. Atkins' book is right on track - and thank you Dr. Atkins for that book. But he wanted to continue to make $ from this idea - so he creates all these pseudo-just-like the real thing (carby) food fakes. Not me. No way.
Think of it this way. All you have to do is eat pure proteins, low carb veggies and fats and nuts/seeds to do this diet. Dr. Atkins' profit margin is limited to the sale of his book only if he doesn't sell some ongoing product people think they can't LIVE without! Isn't that the POINT of this diet/lifestyle? To become LESS NOT MORE DEPENDENT on manufactured foods - PERIOD?!

No fake bread, bars or shakes for me. If it isn't naturally unprocessed then it's not for me.

I'm sure Dr. Atkins' empire will continue to grow/but you know what HE eats every day? I bet he eats eggs, chicken and steak!

Lots of steak - he's got to be more than RICH by now!
Nancy
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 18:01

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hey Nancy...

I TOTALLY agree with you here. I don't want anything to do with any of that fake stuff. Never tried it and never will. There's just something too weird about it for me to stomach.

#13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 18:21
Forum Founder

BF:

Yes, if anyone it's Dr. A who understands the power that carbs have over ordinary mortals. Brilliant marketing! The selling of Dr. A sanctioned sweets to carb addicts.

And they think it's just great. At least until they reach a stall.

Karen
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 00:52

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

I agree with you Karen. Even worse, they can trigger more cravings. That's what they did for me, maybe it's like the effect of artificial sweeteners on some people (Pavlovian Effect).
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 01:29
Forum Founder

BF:

We speak from experience Katherine.

Ireally like the way you spell your handle. Very cool!

Karen