Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 13:45

Plan: it varies
Stats: 245/134/140 Female 5'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel
Jimmy Moore said:

This actually adds to the confusion about Kimmer's identity. He has interviewed her and his interview is the only source of information about whom she is, not only in his website but also in Kimkins own website. Now, what he has said made me feel that he has never seen her face to face.

i'm surprised you ever assumed it was a face to face interview to begin with? it seems to me his other face to face interviews always included a picture of him WITH the interviewee, at least that's my recollection of his blog interviews.

also, if he had ever met her face to face, we would have all heard TONS about it whenever the issue has been raised as to whether or not she's kept her weight off etc. has surfaced...and it's surfaced a lot in various places so there have been ample opportunities for him to have vouched for her.

(for the record, i'm not questioning here if she's kept her weight off or not...i'm just using it as example to show that i highly doubt he has ever met her face to face.)
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie 71
i'm surprised you ever assumed it was a face to face interview to begin with? it seems to me his other face to face interviews always included a picture of him WITH the interviewee, at least that's my recollection of his blog interviews.

also, if he had ever met her face to face, we would have all heard TONS about it whenever the issue has been raised as to whether or not she's kept her weight off etc. has surfaced...and it's surfaced a lot in various places so there have been ample opportunities for him to have vouched for her.

(for the record, i'm not questioning here if she's kept her weight off or not...i'm just using it as example to show that i highly doubt he has ever met her face to face.)

Kimmer (aka Kim Drake, et al) lives in California and I think I read that Jimmy lives in either North or South Carolina. That wouldn't mean they did not have a face to face interview, but I had assumed it was a telephone interview.
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 14:30

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
Kimmer (aka Kim Drake, et al) lives in California and I think I read that Jimmy lives in either North or South Carolina. That wouldn't mean they did not have a face to face interview, but I had assumed it was a telephone interview.

just want to comment that while you guys have been knocking Jimmy's decision to cut back on calories - which is basically all he is doing with Kimkins-he has managed to lose 21 pounds, probably more than all of you critics combined!
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreddy
just want to comment that while you guys have been knocking Jimmy's decision to cut back on calories - which is basically all he is doing with Kimkins-he has managed to lose 21 pounds, probably more than all of you critics combined!

Uh, since you quoted me in your post, I'd like to know just when I have been "knocking Jimmy's decision to cut back on calories?" I never criticized him for that. My comments were about his over-reaction and nasty retorts to questions and comments made on his blog.
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 14:47

Plan: it varies
Stats: 245/134/140 Female 5'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:

i never saw anyone knocking jimmy's decision to cut back on calories
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 14:47

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:

Yes, but will he keep it off? My main problem with Jimmy hasn't been the Kimkins thing, but the fact that he advocates frankenfoods over real food and can get nasty with people who disagree with him. I realize that he's a convert and converts tend to be zealots, but sometimes he goes way too far. There's a difference between being enthusiastic and saying OMG MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY and I don't think Jimmy realizes it. Everyone's mileage varies.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb F
bsenka. Jimmie Moore is doing what he needs to do to keep on top of his battle with his weight. He realized that his weight was drifting, for whatever reason, and has been inspired by Kimkins to knock it back down quickly so he can then continue with what worked for him before.

IMO, if his weight 'drifted' to the point where he feels he needs to lose 50 pounds, whatever he was doing wasn't 'working' for him too well.
Perhaps some re-evaluation of how he plans to maintain these current losses before he gets to goal would be a productive endeavor.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:57
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

Quote:
My main problem with Jimmy hasn't been the Kimkins thing, but the fact that he advocates frankenfoods over real food and can get nasty with people who disagree with him.

Until he gets out of denial about the role fake foods play in his "way of eating," he'll probably lose and gain and lose and gain the same 50 pounds or so. Why would this time be any different? He couldn't keep it off with the diet that gave him the motivation to launch his blog, for pete's sake.

He's not just pushing the fake food products at his site; he also appears to be a user.
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 07:28

Plan: Ketogenic/Paleolithic
Stats: 310/179/175 Male 71
BF:44%/6%/5%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheneas
Have I got this wrong but it seems that Kimkins is a low fat/ high protein/ low carb plan is it not? I was lead to understand that high protein with low fat is bad for you - anyone heard of rabbit starvation? I always thought the fat had to outnumber the protein to give us the right amount of energy and to prevent gluconeogenesis from protein leading to bad products (can't remember their names) in the kidneys and liver.

Rhenas,

I'm sorry I missed your post, but I have posted almost verbatim what you've said here about low fat/low carb plans like KimKims. What happens is that protein has to be converted to glucose to be used as energy in the absence of or with low levels of glucose and fat. This process is a slow one; much slower than carbs being converted or fatty acids being turned into ketones by the liver.

Here's wikipedia's definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 08:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Our bodies must have 60-70 grams of protein per day no matter which diet we are on in order to support important operations. On a low carb diet we need to add more in order to get the minimum amount of glucose necessary.

Kimkins diet wants you to get few daily calories. In order to get the necessary protein from a small amount of food you must eat high protein-low fat food which is what Kimkins recommends.

So, despite all the mystery behind Kimkins and the person behind it, its formula does make sense.
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
Yes, but will he keep it off? My main problem with Jimmy hasn't been the Kimkins thing, but the fact that he advocates frankenfoods over real food and can get nasty with people who disagree with him. I realize that he's a convert and converts tend to be zealots, but sometimes he goes way too far. There's a difference between being enthusiastic and saying OMG MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY and I don't think Jimmy realizes it. Everyone's mileage varies.

he seems very determined to get to his goal... I think that's why he's rather short tempered with his critics...

as for long term, I personally think there's some benefit from following a plan like Kimkins (K/E, not the extreme low cal versions) to get to your goal. Once you're there, you should have a very good idea of how much you can eat to maintain that goal, and decide whether or not it's worth it to you.

Jimmy desperately wants to get to 199. Once he arrives, he could set a range, say 195 to 205. He can experiment with adding back certain foods, more fat, etc. etc... but once the scales tip past 205, it's time go back to basics.

that's more or less my plan for myself, at any rate. But I am not as determined as Jimmy...
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 08:15
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb F
bsenka. Jimmie Moore is doing what he needs to do to keep on top of his battle with his weight. He realized that his weight was drifting, for whatever reason, and has been inspired by Kimkins to knock it back down quickly so he can then continue with what worked for him before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
IMO, if his weight 'drifted' to the point where he feels he needs to lose 50 pounds, whatever he was doing wasn't 'working' for him too well.
Perhaps some re-evaluation of how he plans to maintain these current losses before he gets to goal would be a productive endeavor.

Bingo Lisa!!

I couldn't agree with you more on this.

and yes, he does need to get out of denial about all the frankenfoods he eats as a regular part of his food plan in maintenance...he is not a good role model for low carb long term success.

IMO and experience to date, "successful maintenance" is staying within a 3-5 lb range of your weight...not 50 lbs!!
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Quote:

Bingo Lisa!!

I couldn't agree with you more on this.

and yes, he does need to get out of denial about all the frankenfoods he eats as a regular part of his food plan in maintenance...he is not a good role model for low carb long term success.

IMO and experience to date, "successful maintenance" is staying within a 3-5 lb range of your weight...not 50 lbs!!

he does seem to be sending out a confusing message regarding frakenfoods.. I think the problem is his desire to post two or three times a day on low carb.... he needs material to cover, and all the frankenfoods give him some of that.

but, according to the comments on his 30 in 30 blog, he is only indulging in those foods once in awhile, and following his kimkins plan most of the time.
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 08:26

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairOnFire
Until he gets out of denial about the role fake foods play in his "way of eating," he'll probably lose and gain and lose and gain the same 50 pounds or so. Why would this time be any different? He couldn't keep it off with the diet that gave him the motivation to launch his blog, for pete's sake.

He's not just pushing the fake food products at his site; he also appears to be a user.

By his own admission he ate a lot of sugar-free chocolate and stuff like that. If you're eating a lot of treats--even the "legal" ones--you're going to gain weight, and even more so if you eat the frankenfoods like Carbquik and Dreamfields (the latter of which I'm almost positive is just a way to sell regular pasta for $1.50 more a box).

Quote:
he seems very determined to get to his goal... I think that's why he's rather short tempered with his critics...

No, he's always been like that, long before this whole Kimkins thing. In fact if you read back in the archives he brags about laying the smack down on vegetarians and other ones who dare to disagree with him, printing his responses to them verbatim. While there were a couple of trolls a lot of them were actually pretty polite but he basically tore them a new one for disagreeing with the Holy Gospel of Low Carb.

Last edited by MandalayVA : Thu, Jun-21-07 at 08:59. Reason: fixing tags
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 08:50
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

FWIW....I enjoy Dreamfields but as a treat once a month..not a daily food at all!! Its still white flour

I eat real dark chocolate daily, 85% Lindt to be exact and only 2 squares. Its very satisfying when you let it melt in your mouth and I do not need more than 2 squares this way.

We can eat lots of foods in maintenance and not gain weight...portion control is key!

According to the National Weight Control Registry, successful maintainers have 3 things in common:
1- eat breakfast daily
2- weigh daily
3- exercise daily

Weighing daily has been key for me as if and when I see my scale get to my danger point, I can make decisions on my food for that day that will effect the scale so things never get too out of control.