Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 17:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234.5/207/130 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Someone Enlighten Me Please!

Hello everyone!

I have been on Protein Power since January 30 and have lost about 7 lbs so far with no exercise. Someone responded to a post I had in another forum, and said I should consider Body for Life.

Now, maybe I have been living under a rock, but can somebody please tell me what Body for Life actually is? I am seriously clueless, I know nothing about it, so anything you can tell me will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

~*Shannon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 17:31

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

BFL is a 12 week plan designed to change your life (aren't they all ) The focus is on changing your habits and your outlook. You set goals for yourself and you make promises to yourself that you strive to keep over the 12 weeks. Goals can be anything you want them to be; from lifting x amount of weight on a bench press, to having greater self confidence, to losing x amount of inches.

The diet part involves eating 6 meals a day, every 3-4 hours, balanced with 'good' carbs and protein and veggies. You'll find that many of us have modifed the list of 'good' carbs to fit better with our LC WOLs - basically a phase II PP lifestyle. You eat to support the exercise you do, which consists of 6 days alternating cardio and weight lifting. The 7th day you rest; free day.

Cardio invovles high intensity interval training of your choice for 20 minutes (called the 20 MAS, or 20 minute aerobic solution). You work your way up to your personal "10".

Resistance work alternates Upper Body Workouts (UBWO) and Lower Body Workouts (LBWO) every second day. Some weeks you do 2 UBWO's and one LBWO and some weeks it's reversed. Weights are lifted in a pyramid style (12 reps, rest, 10 reps with a higher weight, rest, 8 reps with a higher weight, rest, 6 reps with a highest weight, rest, 12 reps with a lower weight, then 12 reps of a different exercise but for the same muscle group with a weight that brings you to failure - the inability to do another repetition with perfect form). The resistance workouts take between 43 and 45 minutes.

At the end of 12 weeks you have completed Challenge 1. Hopefully the journey will have left you with the desire to keep up the same practices. You may not do BFL again, but you'll keep lifting weights.

This is just my synopsis of the Plan; it's something different to everyone. You'll find pointers on how to carry out the program while maintaining a LC lifestyle in a sticky atop this forum "BFL w/ LC: Tips and Hints" - and all kinds of information in the forum.

You can also get more on the plan as written at www.bodyforlife.com

HTH
Nat