Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 16:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/180/145 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default beating family hx

Hi-
i'm pushing 30 and I want to beat my families history of obesity and diabetes. Sadly, there is diabetes on both sides of my "LARGE" family. (and I don't mean number of members)

My father passed away just over four years ago and since then I gained about 40lbs, so my goal is to get my weight back down and avoid diabetes that contributed to his early death. I'm inspired by my eldest brother who has done wonderfully following Atkins and I feel if he could do it then so can I.

My mother, who is also diabetic, thinks I am crazy for following this eating plan, but said she will be supportive. Of course, this means in my 1st 15days she baked 11 times, cooked pasta dishes, and many of the other no-no's of following this plan. So, I am looking for some outside support to help me, not only with avoiding her cooking, but keeping my carbs in check.

In the 1st 15 days of following atkins I lost 9 to 10lbs, but for the past 2 weeks I haven't seen a change. So, again I am looking for support and ideas that will help me get back to losing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 19:26

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

Welcome! You'll find <B>plenty</B> of support here, and lots of understanding.

Keep in mind that this is a big change for your body -- it's going to need some time to adjust, and that adjustment usually shows up on the scale as a "stall". Be patient, keep at it, and the numbers will start going down again!

("Be patient" ... if I could only practice what I preach! )
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 20:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello and welcome!

Don't worry about the scale "slowdown" - it's normal. Your body will be going through big changes. I'd say "throw the scale out", but I know I couldn't do it, so I won't be a hypocrite. But do remember that the scale lies. It doesn't tell the whole story. Got a measuring tape, or a pair of pants that don't quite fit?

Sorry about your mom not being too co-operative. If cooking and food has always been a big part of your relationship, she's probably feeling kind of threatened and hurt. Hopefully, you guys (brother included!) can find a happy medium. Are there low-carb friendly dishes that she's good at making? My mom makes an awesome baked whole chicken. No secret ingredient or anything, it just tastes best when SHE does it.

Enjoy the forum!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 22:15

Plan: CAD
Stats: 220/218/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:?
Progress: 2%
Smile Hi Pooh!!

I have to agree w/ Kristine, your mom might be feeling threatened. If she doesn't feel at a point to give up the foods that are damaging to her diabeties she could be subconciously sabatoging you (only a suggestion, not definately a fact). I have to say that at your age (and I do realize how busy going to school can be, especially if your working also) it might be just about time to start cooking for yourself. If you're relying on someone who doesn't get your WOE to make all your meals, it will only be an uphill battle. Maybe think about pre-cooking and chopping/preparing foods on one day a week that's good for you so you have those things on hand throughout the week.

I do understand where you're comming from. My DH doesn't do LC and I have to make meals to feed both our eating styles. It's a pain to have to deviate from the norm but if you're serious about changing your lifestyle, it has to be done. Good luck!!

Ali