Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-19, 22:59

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default EAT-Lancet Paper Analysis by Dr. Ede

Appears that the inimitable Walter Willett is at it again with a recent paper. Here's an analysis by Dr. Georgia Ede:

Quote:
Hello, my food savvy friends!

My new article about the EAT-Lancet report

This week, an important and influential paper about global nutrition written by Harvard's Dr. Walter Willett and others was published in The Lancet, a highly respected medical journal. Willett's well-funded commission was tasked with providing global guidance about healthy, sustainable dietary policy in the decades to come. The prescription? A plant-based diet. The strategy? Taxation, price increases, and restriction of consumer choice.

I spent several exasperating days analyzing the ten-page section about nutrition and posted a summary of my impressions in this new article today:
"EAT-Lancet's Plant-based Planet: 10 Things You Need to Know"

Perhaps not surprisingly, the authors play fast and loose with the science, so the document is riddled with inconsistencies, cognitive dissonance, and twisted logic. I had some fun with the writing, which I hope you'll enjoy, but make no mistake about it—this report is serious, and represents just the first step in a carefully orchestrated worldwide campaign that could soon affect your choices and your checkbooks.

It is important that everyone understands what lies within and behind this report. Please share with others.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...e3999b-97647217

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-19, 05:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This is everywhere, big news but fortunately also getting push back.

Diane Rodgers response: 20 Ways EAT Lancet’s Global Diet is Wrongfully Vilifying Meat

https://sustainabledish.com/20-ways...vilifying-meat/

Dr Zoe Harcombe The EAT Lancet diet is nutritionally deficient

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2019/01/...ally-deficient/

DietDoctor round-up of media... Report: Cut red-meat eating by 80 percent to save the planet?

https://www.dietdoctor.com/report-c...save-the-planet

Marty Kendall runs this through OptimizingNutrition: Should you EAT-Lancet?
Keep reading...he runs it through his Optimizer way down in this long article. Sodium is only 72% of required minimum, another article pointed out this would kill a person.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/201...you-eat-lancet/

Tom Naughton's comic response: Dr. Willett Has Convinced Me To Become A Gorilla

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....SgOFU4Y-n5rWgy0

And even a gossipy Mirror response: Globe-trotting billionaire behind campaign to save planet accused of blatant hypocrisy
EXCLUSIVE: Gunhild Stordalen, a Norwegian who owns a £20million private jet with her husband, regularly flies to exotic destinations around the world
And from Marty above:
Quote:
The EAT initiative was spearheaded by jet setting model-come-doctor Gunhild Stordalen who is an animal activist and environmentalist who married hotel mogul Petter Stordalen in Scandinavia’s most expensive wedding. (Ironically, Storadlen suffers from autoimmune disease Systemic Sclerosis, a condition typically related to malnutrition.)

This sounds much like Ancel Keys and the Olive Oil folks inviting scientists to spend time studying the "mediterranean diet" in sunny Italy and Crete.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world...XX7YBUGUeQ2213E

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-20-19 at 06:35.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-19, 07:02

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

We live in a crazy world. I am grateful for the sane people who are there countering the craziness.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-19, 08:29

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

The Lancet article is what you get when you mix specious morality, bad science and ego. It is a deadly mix.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-19, 08:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
The Lancet article is what you get when you mix specious morality, bad science and ego. It is a deadly mix.

Yes it is.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-19, 09:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
This sounds much like Ancel Keys and the Olive Oil folks inviting scientists to spend time studying the "mediterranean diet" in sunny Italy and Crete.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world...XX7YBUGUeQ2213E

And perhaps from the same sources... for similar reasons.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 10:25

BF:

Quote:

Tom Naughton's comic response: Dr. Willett Has Convinced Me To Become A Gorilla

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....SgOFU4Y-n5rWgy0

Not a response to the EAT-Lancet paper, but a great response last year to Willett's constant drive to save ourselves from ourselves by desiring to make dietary edicts for the world. Now, the EAT-Lancet paper proposes taxing those ne'er do well red meat eaters to punish them for their roles in causing detrimental climate change, killing defenseless animals, and generally behaving like bad people when compared to his model of how people should behave. What a world, what a world . . . . .
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 14:09

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Dr. Kellogg promoted a plant-based diet to quell libidos and subdue the masses, presumably with brain fog and not being able to venture far from water closets. The Road to Wellville movie (1994) is an amusing take on this.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 14:44

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Here's another good round-up of links with responses to the study:
https://isupportgary.com/articles/i...ijacking-health

I also like this from the European Food Agency: https://www.efanews.eu/item/6053
Especially their intro to the editorial that says "These crucial issues, in our humble opinion, should be the responsibility of public authorities, rather than private associations that inevitably act as pressure groups." Emphasis added. And keep in mind that when they're referring to public authorities, that while European food guidelines still have a long way to go, as in other countries, science research there has more public funding than in the U.S., so they're not just saying "trust the government," but trying to say "trust unbiased science."
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-19, 04:47

Do you think Walter has Alzheimer's??

Quote:
“This campaign to reduce fat in the diet has had some pretty disastrous consequences. ... One of the most unfortunate unintended consequences of the fat-free crusade was the idea that if it wasn't fat, it wouldn't make you fat. I even had colleagues who were telling the public that you can't get fat eating carbohydrates. Actually, farmers have known for thousands of years that you can make animals fat by feeding them grains, as long as you don't let them run around too much, and it turns out that applies to humans. We can very easily get fat from eating too many carbohydrates, and the public was really directed to only focus on fat calories, when we really have to keep an eye on calories no matter where they're coming from.”
Walter Willett

FRONTLINE Interview with Walter Willett.
The Diet Wars.

From 2004! yet he is still advocating a low fat, high grain diet.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/fron...Fpxqa7VXYJDnUmA

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-26-19 at 08:11.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-19, 10:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Dr. Kellogg promoted a plant-based diet to quell libidos and subdue the masses, presumably with brain fog and not being able to venture far from water closets. The Road to Wellville movie (1994) is an amusing take on this.

If the vegans only knew.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-19, 11:19

BF:

Quote:
Do you think Walter has Alzheimer's??

From 2004! yet he is still advocating a low fat, high grain diet.

Not necessarily Alzheimer's; although, I wouldn't rule it out, more likely a comfy job at a prestigious university with many sources of revenue supporting his plant-based (or -biased???) dietary recommendations that make him feel good because he has wealth, prestige, and is doing his part in saving the planet and its people.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-19, 12:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

[thud]

Soooo tired of the one size fits all mentality. WHY would anyone WILLLINGLY limit meat consumption?? Historically that is for the poor. And as I recently read on human population history, their is less wild meat, so people must cultivate grains and other vegetables. Then as the population rises MORE, the hybridized varieties are developed; and now the GMO's.

World wide we have a food shortage. And far too much is wasted in transit.

I look at a cabbage in the grocery, and it is a perfect ball. In the growing field it is on a thick stalk with large leaves staggered up to that ball with a mass of large leaves surrounding that ball. Nearly half is wasted just getting the cabbage out of the fields.

THe same is applied to producing meat. Too much is wasted and goes to renderer.

Here on my farm, we use everything but the "quack". Oh wait, my ducks cant quack and they have feathers.... sooooo , we use everything except the feathers !!! which goes into compost for the garden, ie feathermeal.

If you want to avoid these taxes, thinking about growing your own is a good starting point. Like vegetables, and a few hens. Im praying THAT will always be a option, especially are there is more push back allowing a few chickens in urban communities.

THANK OP for the share. Im fed up with big governments Big Brother interference on my food intake.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 06:10

More from Tom Naughton:

Eat Me, Lancet … These People Are A Perfect Example Of The Anointed

Quote:
Actually, I know the EAT-Lancet people won’t eat me because I’m made of meat. To stay within the range of what they consider healthy (and sustainable!) meat consumption, they’d have to divide me into something like 7,500 servings. Walter Willett could put my left calf muscle in his freezer and have all the meat he’s allowed to eat in a year.
...And Tom's off on another delightful rant...

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....f-the-anointed/
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 08:03

BF:

Just read Tom's latest blog earlier this morning. A must read in my mind.