Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 14:26
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Whatever works. My cousin eats pizza and beer and looks like a male model. Apparently that works for him, although I shudder to think what's going on at the molecular level. If many people can't lose 'enough' weight or 'enough' inches without exercise then that's what works for them. If some people can lose it all and keep it off on zero exercise, then that's what works for them. Metabolism between individuals -- genders as well as size -- is ridiculously variable. I think it's fair for people to get a dose of both ideas to consider and try out. Up until now there's only been one idea. Taubes, in general, provided another. The outrage over that will probably get more genuine evaluation of the issue done than if he'd not brought it up at all, so I figure on the whole it's a good thing. :-)
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 15:45

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne!
How about the fact (opinion?) that as we age we lose muscle mass, which causes our metabolism to become lower as muscle burns more fat than fat. Is it worth doing at least some maintenance muscle exercises as we age to maintain our muscle mass? Not even to gain, but just to stay baseline. That's what I'm thinking of doing.

We retain exactly as much muscle as our diet allows, and about as much as the exercise requires. In other words, if you exercise more than none for example, you will retain more muscle. But the point here is that you will retain muscle without exercise, as long as the diet allows it.
  #138   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 15:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdill
Absolutely Wrong.

It has been shown repeatedly that people lose more fat while exercising and dieting than on diet alone. What they may not loose is more weight. Why, because exercise, particularly resistance training, will reverse sarcopenia in previously untrained subjects leading an increase in lean mass.

a pretty graph and summary for you

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WTCalLBWStudy.html

8 week program and only 4.47kg average total weight loss on diet alone? That's a seriously poor performance for a diet. Cutting out carbs will produce much, much better weight loss in a much, much shorter time. Oh, and all that with zero hunger.

The two statements below are equivalent:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars
I'm contending that the lack of results for exercisers is more a psychologically-driven fallacy that they can eat whatever they choose as long as they exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Exactly. Exercise is useless for fat loss. Unless diet is controlled. But then if diet is controlled, it's not exercise that caused fat loss, it's diet.

So, if you think my statement is wrong, then you also think Scars' statement is wrong. But that can't be, you've been arguing in favor of exercise, so has he.

Last edited by M Levac : Thu, Oct-01-09 at 15:57.
  #139   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 16:02

BF:

Quote:
Losing weight and losing fat are not necessarily the same thing. Taubes' finished book contains no references to studies which differentiate between fat loss and indiscriminate weight loss, nor does it include studies which are based on strength training. Jeff Volek Phd, and Adam Campbell wrote a book as well, called the TNT Diet, based on the research which demonstrates the greater fat loss achieved by adding strength training to a low carb diet.

How much greater? Was this fat loss compared to that of a diet devoid of carbohydrate? Because, as we know, cutting out all carbohydrate produces the greatest fat loss, bar none.
  #140   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 16:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergin
The "fact" that Taubes has either not seen, or chosen to omit, is that exercise, particularly High Intensity, or anaerobic exercise, is dis-proportionally a sugar burner. So even though a particular exercise session may only burn 400 calories, if that is made up of 80 grams of glucose and 10 g fat, then it may
have a similar impact as reducing one's carb intake by 80g, which many on this site would agree can have a significant impact on metabolism.

Then it's obvious that you did not read the part about the sugar cane cutters.
  #141   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 16:08

BF:

Quote:
The reason he has not laid hands on it is because he knows he is unable to provide evidence to back up the verdict.

That's ironic. Are you saying there is no evidence? Because, obviously, Gary spent 6 years of his time throwing pencils at the ceiling. But seriously, Taubes knows his stuff unless you disagree, then he's an idiot.
  #142   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 16:10

BF:

Quote:
This to me is as serious an omission as if I were to say that lowering carbs couldn't work, because we all know that reducing calories doesn't work to reduce weight, and lowering carbs is reducing calories,(all other things being equal).

Do you mean that adding fat to replace the lost carbs to keep calories constant, we would not lose weight? That's been refuted.
  #143   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 16:13

BF:

Quote:
The problem IMHO, are the sweeping conclusions other people are drawing based on what he wrote with out knowing the limitations of the information.

You presume too much. I did not read just one book. But maybe you did.
  #144   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 16:15

BF:

Quote:
he made blanket statements without qualification

Which statement did not have qualification?

Last edited by M Levac : Thu, Oct-01-09 at 16:22.
  #145   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 16:19

BF:

Quote:
- To suggest in any way that exercise is "useless" is false or at least needs to be taken into context.

It's always been taken into context. The context is fat loss. Like so: Exercise is useless for fat loss.
  #146   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 16:19

BF:

Quote:
Actually kilton I provided studies to back up my contentions. You provided snarkiness and red herrings. Are you suggesting that biological hunger is the only reason people eat? We wouldn't have an obesity issue if people only ate when they were truly hungry and stopped when they were satisfied.

You think it's food you're eating?
  #147   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 16:43
Registered Member

Plan: Zone Good Enough
Stats: 223/194/185 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
How much greater? Was this fat loss compared to that of a diet devoid of carbohydrate? Because, as we know, cutting out all carbohydrate produces the greatest fat loss, bar none.

As a matter of fact yes, they compared low carb diets with and with out strength training.
  #148   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 16:50
Registered Member

Plan: Zone Good Enough
Stats: 223/194/185 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
You presume too much. I did not read just one book. But maybe you did.

I presume nothing, I am taking your statements at face value, and based on the references provided.

I'm also glad to hear that you make use of your library card, keep reading maybe one day you'll actually learn something you don't already think you know.
  #149   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 17:54
Registered Member

Plan: Zone, IF
Stats: 220/170/160 Male 67 inches
BF:25%
Progress: 83%

Quote:
It's always been taken into context. The context is fat loss. Like so: Exercise is useless for fat loss.

Last month I had a treadmill stress test. It showed that during a slow jog I was burning 75% fat and 25% carbs. At a breathless sprint I was burning 90% carbs, 10% fat. Exercise uses both. Whether you gain or lose or maintain body weight depends on what you eat. Food gives me the energy to run. I do it more for its own sake rather than for weight loss.
  #150   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 18:54

BF:

Quote:
As a matter of fact yes, they compared low carb diets with and with out strength training.

Then it wasn't low enough. But then again, maybe zero is too low for credibility.