Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 11:02

Plan: PaNu (lacto-paleo) & VLC
Stats: 267/235.2/195 Male 71 inches
BF:40/35/20
Progress: 44%

I have been doing the 3-1 since last Wednesday. Saturday was 2-2 and Sunday was 2-1, however. I am down just over 5 pounds and my wife says I really do look thinner!

I have been using the EAS chocolate whey powder. At 2 Carbs/scoop with 3 scoops, that 18 net carbs - half of it sugar. I think I'll get some Isopure zero carb powder...

I got my BCAA powder from the Vit Shoppe also, on the way home from work. I already had Ribose in the house. (I often do a protein shake after a workout anyways...) I am also adding arginine and glutamine out of habit... (and I have big tubs of them - haha)

I think the point of Enova oil is that its mostly Diglycerides (hence DAG oil) which no other oil is. Its kinda new and it depends on whether you follow strict clean/paleo/natural or not. In no way is anything coming from rapeseeds natural, in fact it has to be processed even more. But I'm going on trust in the research the Eades did until I hear otherwise.

That first day of no caffeine was a killer, but I'm fine now. And losing way faster than I was on my own version of Atkins induction (allowed caffeine and aspatame)

I'm so glad I found this thread! I hope to hear your experiences.

Iv'e found it to be pretty easy. I add davinci syrup, cream, an egg and peppermint extract - Oh my gosh!! That's YUMMY!

Then I take a hand shaker to work (no egg/cream/davinci/extract). I add a TB of dark chocolate powder and a touch of stevia. mmm -mm that's good too. Not quite OMG good, but still tasty. I can hardly manage to drink an afternoon shake and still have room for dinner.

I still have to finish reading the first half of the book - lol.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 11:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

He wrote about glucose intolerance in his blog. You can search on that term and read about it.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 11:23
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Nancy, how are you pasteurizing your eggs? Do you mean soft-boiled?

I'm not and Nope. They describe how to do it in the book. I probably won't bother. Eggs only have a slim chance of carrying salmonella these days now (1/20,000).

Right now I have a big jar of dried egg protein and when I finish that I'll probably just use raw eggs.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 11:24
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I have a couple problems, though. I saw too late the admonission not to buy protein powders sweetened with aspartame. I went back and checked the three boxes in my kitchen cupboard, and yes, just one sweetener, and you guessed it, aspartame. I've never had any bad reactions from it that I can remember, so I'll take the two weeks and keep a close eye on myself to check for side effects.

The reasoning behind this is that it taxes the liver, and having a fatty liver is one of the reasons behind storing the fat in the middle.

You can probably buy just plain old extracts in the store right? That and cocoa and you should probably be able to flavor things up appropriately.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 11:33

Plan: PaNu (lacto-paleo) & VLC
Stats: 267/235.2/195 Male 71 inches
BF:40/35/20

I am attempting to do the Laplace-in place. Remembering and keeping track are not my forte! It very much reminds me of an excersize I learned in my teens from an old Frank R. Young book "Yoga for Men".
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 11:35

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hi all.
This is day four for me too, and I find it really difficult. Those shakes are not satisfying at all. I feel even more hungry after drinking them, maybe the sweet taste, I don't know. They are sweetened with Stevia. I really don't like feeling hungry.
VAT - I did not bother with measuring. I know I have vat, so what's the point. When I lose it, I'll know, lol, no need for measurements. Well, that's me, anyway.
Abs - Yeah, I am like you Debbie, I keep forgetting. I do a couple of sets, that's about it. I need to be better at this!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 15:20
Experimenter

BF:

What are you using for protein in your shakes? I don't know if this would help but I usually add Taurine to mine, like a heaping tsp. I think it might help make it more satisfying. Are you taking the BCAAs? What about adding egg protein?

Maybe you should get plain protein powder and add (or not) your own sweetener.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 15:47

Plan: my own
Stats: 225/208/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi all! Just jumping in cause I need support too! Especially my aching head!

The DH and I have done low carb seriously in the past, and much less seriously over the past few years. We decided that the new Eades book would be our trigger to buckle down and stop messing around (at least for about 6 weeks ).

After reading I had to give up caffeine, I persuaded DH we should start on Sunday, so I could ease off coffee and Diet drinks for a few days first. Also gave us time to read the book and buy all the stuff. We bought *everything* even tracked down that Enova.

I don't have anything new to contribute except to agree with the sentiments expressed above in this thread:

recipes? what's with that? why not just give us guidance? Or at least give us guidance *and* recipes. I've been reading the Eades blog to gain a little extra insight as well. Which is good or would never have noticed that the recipes in Weeks 1-2 contain dairy, and in Weeks 3-4 don't at all.
We're just eating meat, not too much and a tiny serving of some vegetable thing (ideas from glancing at recipes). I ate a miniscule cheese sample at the grocery store today - and DH just about stabbed me to death with his eyes. He said, "is that one of your 3 shakes? or is it your one meal? seems like a small meal!" <insert glare> So we're really really serious about this. <sigh>

Enova? Yeah, I read the justification, but there doesn't seem that much research. Not as much as compared to everything else. But we're trying it for now. If you notice - without your evening meal, and without the enova, there's barely any other fat all day (except from the heavy cream thank goodness). Weird. After all that stuff he wrote about how important saturated fat was to de-fat your liver, and we're barely eating fat. (we're already making plans for weeks 3-4 - which is sort of a meat fast ).

Oh, and I'm trying to learn more about iodine. Lots of good threads around here about that - so trying to catch up.

Good luck all! Hang in there!

(oh, and is anyone else surprised that Splenda is allowed? some of the shake suggestions include using splenda sweetened sodas. I know Splenda is not as evil as Aspartame, but it sure doesn't feel 'natural'.)
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 16:18

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!

Hi! I'm jumping in here, too. I started on Sunday, so this is just day 2 for me. This may just be the hardest thing I've ever done! I'm really hoping that after the Dreaded Day 3 things will get a little easier. But right now, I want FOOD. The shakes keep me full enough, but I want to EAT.

What is this BCAA you are all talking about? I haven't read the whole book, but I don't remember seeing that in the week 1 necessities list.

I found the Enova on the top shelf at my grocery store, no problem. The D-Ribose took a little more looking at a HFS, but they didn't have Luceine so I got it at the Vitamin Shoppe today.

Today I feel crazy weird. I have a slight headache but my whole body seems to be vibrating. My urine smells really strong, like I ate asparagus, but it's perfectly clear. I mean, it's much stronger than I ever remember it being when I was in ketosis (but that's been a while!) I've taken all the supplements both days.

I started this because even though my weight is all "baby weight" (and my youngest is 7), I can't lose anything and i"m starting to gain. So, technically, it's not the "middle-aged middle" even though I'm 45, but I thought it would get me off the sugar and give me a solid quick-start plan to follow.

I don't know if I have much VAT. I don't think so. My SSAD was 11" and my LSAD was 8, so it's 3 inches. I haven't gotten to the part in the book where he explains the difference in terms of numbers. Or does he?

My WHR is 9.1, so that's not good if metabolic problems start around 8.5!
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 17:49
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSarah
(oh, and is anyone else surprised that Splenda is allowed? some of the shake suggestions include using splenda sweetened sodas. I know Splenda is not as evil as Aspartame, but it sure doesn't feel 'natural'.)

I don't think the Eades make any pretensions to being "natural" or paleo. Those shakes would be pretty nasty without anything to sweeten them.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 17:54
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I don't know if I have much VAT. I don't think so. My SSAD was 11" and my LSAD was 8, so it's 3 inches. I haven't gotten to the part in the book where he explains the difference in terms of numbers. Or does he?

There's a chart in the back but I'm not at all clear on how to read it. He makes reference to the page of the chart where he first talks about VAT/SAT. It's on page 286. It says "Standing Sagittal Abdominal diameter and Risk for Cardiovascular Disease". It only goes up to 10 inches, and I measure 13.5 from the way... I'm not THAT overweight. Maybe 20-25 pounds. So I'm thinking the measurement must be something different.

I had to think about it for awhile before I understood their assumption. If you have VAT your stomach won't collapse inside you when you lay down, because you're not hollow in there, you're stuffed full with visceral fat. If your fat is subcutaneous then you're sort of hollow in there and your tum should go down when you lie down.

Aw shoot, I should've googled before I typed all that. This explains it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagitt...ominal_Diameter

Its the measurement as you're laying down. And my 9.5" isn't very good.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Sep-14-09 at 18:00.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 17:55

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Right now I have a big jar of dried egg protein and when I finish that I'll probably just use raw eggs.

I've been making one of my shakes each day with a raw egg (this is day four) and so far I'm still alive to tell the tale. I'm using raw heavy cream too.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 18:01
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I've been making one of my shakes each day with a raw egg (this is day four) and so far I'm still alive to tell the tale. I'm using raw heavy cream too.

Oh yeah! I have used raw eggs in the past. For awhile I was using 2 raw eggs every morning.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 18:02
Experimenter

BF:

My prep update: I'm down to 1 pot of coffee, minus 1 cup. I really missed that extra cup. Tomorrow I'll do 1 pot - 2 cups.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 18:07

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
What are you using for protein in your shakes? I don't know if this would help but I usually add Taurine to mine, like a heaping tsp. I think it might help make it more satisfying. Are you taking the BCAAs? What about adding egg protein?

Maybe you should get plain protein powder and add (or not) your own sweetener.

Thanks Nancy, I will try adding Taurine. I will also add a second scoop of whey powder; presently, I just put one scoop, it might not be enough. It will boost the protein total though, and that scares me a bit; remember, I just tried the optimal diet! But I will try it tomorrow, because today was just too hard, I kept thinking about food all day long, this is stupid.
I do take the bcaas, but not the Enova oil, I'm not sure that it is available in Canada. I also have a soft boiled egg in the morning. I don't want raw egg in the shake, and this way, I get to eat something, lol!
Thanks for your help.