Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 16:55

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Question Bread

Buying bread today for the troops and now that I am always checking for ingredients and nutrition information, I happened to find:

Omega Bread by Healthy Times

It is made of organic whole sprouted wheat, filtered water, wheat gluten, organic flax seed, raisin extract, malt syrup, sea salt and yeast.

1 slice = 38g

And the carb count per slice is as follows:

Carbs = 10.3g (sugars = 0.8; starches - 5.0; dietary fibre = 4.5)

So that means the effective carbohydrate count is 5.8g. Right?

Haven't tried it yet so don't know what it tastes like but my question is? How many low carbers out there absolutely swear off bread in any way shape or form and how many eat a low carb bread (the real stuff not made of pork rinds or cheese or anything like that. LOL.) every once in a while?

I would like to know someone like Andy, Karen, Debbie or Nat's opinion as to the value of eating a slice of bread of such a low carb count with cheese, in comparison to say some of the people who I read were pigging out on mock danishes--sometimes two or three at a time?????? Three mock danishes at one sitting would be a carb count of 12g wouldn't it?

Or would you guys also be looking at fat and calorie content as well????

I would like to get to a point where I can maintain my goal weight (when I get there) by having some of my carbohydrates include bread, brown rice (both in small quantities) and a wider variety of fruit.

Should also make mention that I am very concious of the difference between simple and complex carbs--particulary when it comes to all those low carb substitutes that so many "dieters" gravitate to (the stuff Karen refers to as the dieters methadone )

Or are all of you absolutely off any kind of grains?

Just interested.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 17:43
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is the second time today "All carbs are not created equal" has come up as well as a couple of discussions on bread. Something in the air? Yeast? LOL!

Check here and here for the discussion.

I know how I behave with insulin spikes whether from carbs, artificial sweeteners or dairy products so any kind of grain or sugar will not be part of my maintenance program. If I eat anything carby, the way I feel is not worth the momentary pleasure, not to mention having to get control of the cravings afterwards. I am looking forward to seasonal fruit like peaches, pears and cherries, but even they scare me.

As always, it's a YMMV thing!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 18:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default bread

Hope you don't mind I offer my 2˘

I personally don't eat breads or grains due to allergy / intolerance. But for other persons following the various low-carb programs, breads and grains may or may not fit in with their choices.

I just looked in my copy of Protein Power, the original version, and "light bread" appears occasionally in the daily menus. Atkins suggests Wasa or other high-fiber crispbreads now and then, in later stages of his program. So, as long as it fits into a person's individual daily carb limits, then fine. But I do think if you're following Atkins Induction, especially if you've been previously eating a high-flour/bread/pasta diet ... then you MUST follow the program as written and budget those 20g carbs for low-glycemic veggies and salads, and also count the carbs in cheese, cream and eggs. Part of it is the detoxing and cleansing ... and part of it is to break the addiction cycle, and dependence on processed grain foods. Most people crave bread, not a serving of steamed whole wheat kernels .. ... There's the element of portion control too. For many, many low-carbers ... bread, bagels, muffins etc ... trigger cravings beyond belief. Others who are able to stop with just one piece .... my hats off to you!!

Many people individualize their program to fit food likes and dislikes .. for me, I love fruit ... and so sometimes I'll budget in 1 or 2 servings a week ... grapefruit, kiwis, fresh or frozen berries (ah, now I want a grapefruit -- haven't had any fruit for over a month).

The appearance of more and more reduced-carb foods on the store shelves is both a blessing and a curse. They provide a nice change for those who want more variety in their menu, but they pose the risk of just perpetuating the cravings and addictions that led to the weight problems in the first place. ... In addition, these low-carb products such as bread aren't commonly available. For the average person living in a small town ... there's white or whole wheat at 12g per slice. Period.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 21:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

To be honest, I've never been a big bread fan. Prior to LC i'd been eating Hollywood Thin bread (and throwing out 3/4 of the loaf) and still continue to have the occaisional slice.. like maybe 3 in the last 8 weeks. It has an ECC of 4.6 per slice (for the 100% whole wheat). So bread isnt a big thing for me, to eat or to give up. My boyfriend on the other hand, loves his rye. He's lost his weight and his Crohn's symptoms have disappeared. We started reintroducing some higher carb foods into his diet to slow his weight loss (poor guy, i know) but even he admited he's going to have to watch it with the bread. For some people one slice lead to 3 slices... and then it's "what the hell" and out comes the pasta.

While mock danishes are 'legal'; so are cheese and nuts.... and you can overindulge. It's sad but true, to deal with my weight problem I have had to realize that food is fuel to keep my body going... it's not comfort. And while I no longer enjoy eating like i used to I do enjoy looking and feeling good. It's a decision that we must all make every day, every meal. It's an addiction for many of us.

What works for me may not work for you, and vice versa, of course. Experimentation is part of this WOL.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 21:48
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power/Atkins
Stats: 165/165/120
BF:
Progress: 0%

I understand you. I am missing bread more than any other thing. I have decided that if the craving is so great, it is better to have a slice of something like you described. For me, if I deprive myself of something, sooner or later there will be a big pig out, and I don't want that to happen. Just my 2 cents.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 22:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

While I don't miss bread much, I do make it I discovered a great easy way to make my low-carb, high protein, high-fiber bread and it lasts me a weak and helps me with quick sandwitches when I don't have time to cook.

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 22:13
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power/Atkins
Stats: 165/165/120
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well - DO SHARE!?!?!?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 22:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by giggles
Well - DO SHARE!?!?!?

I did

I brought it to a low-carb potluck at Karen's, and got rave reviews. Even from Karen!!!

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread104.html

Wa'il
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 22:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

I was never a big bread eater either, but occasionally I have a craving for a peanut butter and jam sandwich and I use the Hollywood thin 100% wheat bread. I've tried making my own low carb bread but for me it's not worth the time and effort. For me, I find it's better to give in to the occasional craving. I don't have a problem getting back on track after the occasional indulgence.

As for the mock danishes, sugar free chocolate, ice cream, pork rind pancakes, I find with things like that I will eat 1 a day for a few days or a week, then not again for quite a while.

Everybody's different, you have to figure out what works for you.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-01, 00:06

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Thanks Guys

Appreciate all the comments and 2 Cents worth of opinion

And I appreciated Karen pointing out the other discussions re bread today.

I am certainly learning a lot here.