Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, May-20-22, 14:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Mike reviewed the book, https://www.proteinpower.com/super-gut/
and I’ve heard Dr Davis interviewed about the book on a few podcasts. But one important part about the book are the recipes for yogurt, etc. last night I made Green Tea and Cloves, part of the first week cleanse. Most of the directions for week one we have completed, avoid all grains, sugar, chemical sweeteners (but allowed stevia, monk fruit, etc)
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, May-20-22, 15:26

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Benay, you are not alone. I love a quality bread toasted and slathered in real butter. It causes me other problems.

Have you only eaten the current available corns??

It's nearly impossible to find non-GMO corn, and pesticide free corn. I've never seen organic corn in the grocery store.

I'm fencing off an area to grow corn. Trying old style corn varieties. Non GMO. And these do not hold for days post picking, rather need to be eaten within hours of picking. Bloody butcher, stowell evergreen and many others are becoming available.

Does cornmeal cause the same problem? Maybe it's the covering of the kernels?

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, May-20-22 at 15:32.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, May-21-22, 05:43

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Benay,

Have you only eaten the current available corns??

Does cornmeal cause the same problem? Maybe it's the covering of the kernels?

Yes, I eat the frozen corn kernels from grocery
I don't cook with corn meal

I do not eat wheat products of any kind
  #34   ^
Old Sat, May-21-22, 05:58

BF:

Jey, thanks for the link to Dr. Mike's review. Maybe I should just go ahead and buy the book, not for the recipes because I will never use them, but for all the other information on biomes. Since I won't remember everything I read on the first go round, it will become my go-to when I forget something. The information on curcumin, for example, is great to know.

We just keep on learning and experimenting on what works best for us.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, May-21-22, 08:09

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Yes, I eat the frozen corn kernels from grocery
I don't cook with corn meal

I do not eat wheat products of any kind

Glutin hides in other grains too. Not all, but many more than just wheat.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, May-21-22, 11:50

BF:

Ms Arielle
Ever since I read Dr Davis Wheat Belly, I have abstained from all grains.
It's just that, periodically. I get a craving for corn.
So I go ahead and have some so I don't obsess about it for weeks.
And I suffer the consequences
  #37   ^
Old Sat, May-21-22, 12:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
White tea has many of the benefits of green tea but has less grassy tea taste. I put lemon juice in mine. The other option is to mix it with some flavored herbal tea like cherry.

Dr. David Perlmutter has a new book out about uric acid. Lots of stuff on his website and also in interviews he's done to promote the book: https://www.drperlmutter.com/focus-area/uric-acid/

I received an email from Perlmutter today. His new book is about 70% vegan. I wonder why he thinks that will sell to low carbers?
  #38   ^
Old Sat, May-21-22, 12:45

BF:

Does anyone have an air fryer?
If so, which one?
Do you recommend it?
  #39   ^
Old Sun, May-22-22, 07:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I received an email from Perlmutter today. His new book is about 70% vegan. I wonder why he thinks that will sell to low carbers?

WUT? Is it a marketing play?

Vegan just makes no sense.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, May-22-22, 08:52

His new book on Uric Acid? I cut to the chase, and first found his "ideal range for a lab test” is under 5.5 mg/dL, not 7.5 as some lab ranges allow. Last month, mine was 3.0. Grateful the library had ordered it (not my request) and will return it with only a quick skim.

I don’t have an air fryer but have seen many enticing recipes. Beside the cost, having yet another appliance when trying to get rid of some, stops me from purchasing one. I look forward to reading any recommendations. Main question, Can I not do the same in a regular oven? Some recipes show a conversion.

Back to IBS, I’m currently reading instructions on making yogurt in a regular crock-pot. Unless I see a deal in goodwill, buying a yogurt maker seems a groovy blast from the past.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-22-22 at 10:42.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, May-22-22, 12:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I got an air fryer for $50 from Costco, Gourmia is the brand. I really like it. It is handy for those times I don't want to use my oven and it makes awesome chicken wings!

I'm trying to get rid of gas appliances in my house because of air quality issues, so I would prefer to use it many times.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, May-24-22, 04:41

BF:

Thanks Nancy. Air fryers make the best chicken wings I have ever tasted! $50 is a good price. Much lower than Amazon's offerings. But where to put it. Like Jey, I am trying to denude my kitchen of all unused appliances. Adding one more is . . . . .
  #43   ^
Old Thu, May-26-22, 06:14

BF:

I bought Dr Davis Super Gut and I'm glad I did. As Dr Mike said, it is chock full of information and my book sports numerous pink stickies so I can go back and re-read them.
I was struck by his comment about FOD-MAPs. Instead of eliminating the food from the diet, why not eliminate the cause of the food allergy. Right on!
I was also struck by his comment on those of us who have gone too far with keto and low carb by not eating enough vegetables. We may have caused our own problems. I am guilty. So, now its back to the grocery store and get some fresh organic veggies. I will also look into his suggested supplements. I am glad I bought the book. I will try his program to try to control my uncontrollable IBS-D
  #44   ^
Old Thu, May-26-22, 10:24

I was also struck by his comment on those of us who have gone too far with keto and low carb by not eating enough vegetables.

Me too! And I would also add fermented dairy. Ten years on very low carb, limited vegetables and fiber…it's Hard to pinpoint, but I just feel better having added them back to my diet. I have a big stir-fry on repeat most every day as my first meal and haven’t gotten bored of it … maybe my body is still trying to make-up for those missing micronutrients?? Previous to low carb, I often ate yogurt, and love that I now include high protein fermented dairy dishes. It may not be his Super-Gut strain, but having more fiber and probiotics is working for me.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, May-26-22, 11:44

BF:
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I was also struck by his comment on those of us who have gone too far with keto and low carb by not eating enough vegetables.

Me too! And I would also add fermented dairy. Ten years on very low carb, limited vegetables, and fiber…it's Hard to pinpoint, but I just feel better having added them back to my diet. I have a big stir-fry on repeat most every day as my first meal and haven’t gotten bored of it … maybe my body is still trying to make-up for those missing micronutrients?? Previous to low carb, I often ate yogurt, and love that I now include high protein fermented dairy dishes. It may not be his Super-Gut strain, but having more fiber and probiotics is working for me.

Good to hear Jey.
I am cautious about fermented dairy. Israel's & Sweden's yogurt (which are absolutely luscious and a totally different consistency), made all American yogurts horrible for me by comparison

I now start my day with a faux Reuben-almond flour tortillas (they don't hold up very well) sauerkraut, deli-sliced corned beef, and swiss or cheddar cheese. Whichever is in the house. I am currently ordering all the supplements and organic foods he recommended.

After reading the book, I now understand some of the advice I have heard over the years. They just seemed like positive affirmations, now I know the science behind them.

Stopping the IBS-D is my first priority.

What I found absolutely mind-boggling about the book is to go back and eat the foods I thought I was allergic to or upset my stomach. Like raw onions and palm oil. And after all these years on low carb to eat (raw) potatoes & bananas! Or "go ahead and eat beans and nuts" just in smaller quantities. Turns everything upside down.

But it is definitely worth a try!