Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-23, 13:18

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default British doctor pioneers low-carb diet as cure for obesity and type 2 diabetes

In today's Observer:

Quote:
British doctor pioneers low-carb diet as cure for obesity and type 2 diabetes

A lifestyle approach developed by Dr David Unwin shows benefits that could have significant health implications

A red-brick surgery in the seaside resort of Southport in the north-west of England is on the frontline of one of the biggest questions facing the NHS: what’s the best fix for our growing obesity crisis?

Dr David Unwin thinks he has the answer. He has championed a low-carb lifestyle that not only helps patients lose weight but also, in more than half of his patients who were on the diet, has even managed to reverse type 2 diabetes, once thought to be an irreversible and progressive disease.

Such results appear remarkable and will be scrutinised by NHS officials now rolling out a national low-calorie diet programme to treat obesity and type 2 diabetes, which can lead to serious health complications and early death.

Unwin also appears to have identified what one expert calls the “magic ingredients” that motivate his patients to adhere to lifestyle changes for several years.

Unwin’s work could be pivotal. At a time when the weight-loss drug Wegovy has been approved for use in the NHS and it has been reported that officials believe such drugs could ultimately be offered to up to 12 million people in the UK, Unwin’s solution has nothing to do with drugs.

Sitting in his practice office, Unwin said he nearly quit being a GP in 2012 because he felt a sense of failure. He said: “If I was really being honest with myself, I felt I hadn’t made a difference. I began to realise that what was wrong was that nobody looked any better. The people I was seeing were sicker and fatter.”

He was inspired to start the low-carb lifestyle programme and to keep working as a GP when he was admonished by a patient diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. “I wrote to her because I was concerned she was not taking her metformin [a drug to treat type 2 diabetes] and so I was really inviting her in for a telling-off,” he said.

When the patient arrived for the consultation, Unwin discovered she had lost about 19kg (3 stone) and put her condition into remission on a low-carb diet. Research has shown such a diet can lower blood glucose levels and reduce body weight.

Unwin said: “She was hopping mad. She said: ‘You’ve given me metformin for about 10 years and you never once asked me about the side effects or gave me an alternative. I’ve now learned about cutting the carbs. I’ve lost weight and I feel fabulous.’” A blood sugar test, known as a haemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) test, showed that her blood sugar was in the normal range and that she appeared to have achieved drug-free remission from type 2 diabetes.

Unwin said: “She’d done something I didn’t know was possible. I had always seen type 2 diabetes as a chronic, deteriorating condition requiring medication and shown no curiosity about the true cause of chronic illness. I felt as if I’d been sleepwalking.”

With his wife Jen, a clinical psychologist, Unwin started a programme at the practice in 2013 offering a low-carb diet to patients with type 2 diabetes. Every Monday, there was a support group at which Unwin and his wife provided unpaid assistance. Regular weight data and blood tests helped patients stay on track.

One by one, the patients started to lose weight and feel much better. A range of markers of physical health, from blood pressure to cholesterol levels, improved. Several patients were able to give up their drugs.

The observational study published by Unwin and four other authors in BMJ Nutrition, Prevention & Health in January examined a cohort of 186 patients at the Norwood practice for an average diet duration of 33 months and found overall remission of type 2 diabetes was achieved in 51% of cases. The report found a fifth of all patients at the practice with type 2 diabetes achieved remission, with 77% of those following the programme in the first year of diagnosis achieving remission.

Marcia Mawdsley, 55, started on the diet with support from the practice about four years ago. She has lost more than 20kg and has stopped taking insulin for her type 2 diabetes. “It’s not easy in the beginning, but the first thing you notice is you don’t feel hungry,” she said. “It’s not about being thin – it’s about being healthy. I now have energy.”

Audrey Jones, 78, struggled with type 2 diabetes for years and went on Unwin’s programme last May when she was refused a hip replacement operation. She lost more than 10kg and her blood sugar test results fell significantly. Doctors gave the go-ahead for the operation in November.

Jones stopped her metformin medication for type 2 diabetes five months ago. She said: “I was absolutely delighted. I had been taking it for about five years and thought I was going to be on it for the rest of my life.”

The scale of the challenge is formidable. Nearly four decades ago, there were just 57 patients at the Norwood surgery with type 2 diabetes, which is closely associated with obesity, and none were under the age of 55. Today, the similar-sized practice has more than 470 patients with type 2 diabetes, with more than 70 under age 55.

Dr Simon Tobin, the senior partner at the Norwood Surgery in Southport, who is a keen runner and follows a low-carb lifestyle, said: “Many of our patients have been low carb for six, eight or 10 years, so it is completely sustainable. If you had a drug that did half of what we have done with the low-carb approach, it would be worth an absolute fortune. No one is shouting about it because it is not a drug that’s making a profit for a big pharmaceutical company.”

In 2016, Unwin was the national winner of the NHS Innovator of the Year award and considers he has now shown “proof of concept”, supported by the case studies of his practice’s patients and published research. Other practices in the UK and around the world have followed his work, but he would like to see the programme supported more widely in the NHS, along with proper government measures to combat obesity.

Dr David Oliver and Dr Kim Andrews set up the Freshwell Low Carb Project at the Freshwell Health Centre, near Braintree in Essex, and have reported significant weight loss in patients.

An observational study published in October 2021 reported 774 patients were given dietary advice, out of whom 339 attended a review and had their weight measured. They lost a total of 1,103kg, with a median weight loss of 2.5kg.

Dr Oliver, a senior partner at the centre, who, like Unwin and Tobin, declares no competing interests in published research, said: “When people stop eating so much processed food and carbohydrates, they are not as hungry and the weight drops off. They also feel much better.”

A report in May 2021 by the government’s Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition recommended adults with type 2 diabetes who were overweight could choose a low-carb diet as a short-term option (for up to six months) but should limit intakes of saturated fats, reflecting dietary advice for the general population. The report noted there was limited data on longer-term interventions with the diet.

In England the NHS is rolling out a programme of low-calorie diets to treat obesity and type 2 diabetes in primary care, which have also been shown in trials to put type 2 diabetes into remission and help participants lose significant weight.

Professor Roy Taylor, a leading researcher into type 2 diabetes and director of the Magnetic Resonance Centre at Newcastle University, who was one of the co-authors with Unwin of the research published in January, said a low-carb diet proved effective with the “magic ingredients” deployed by Unwin of structured support and regular GP checkups with weight measurement.

Taylor said many people may find it difficult to follow a low-carb diet, but there was already significant research with control groups showing a low-calorie diet can be effective in a wider population. He said the NHS rollout of a low calorie diet programme needed to be backed by a public health strategy to combat obesity, which could significantly reduce a multibillion-pound drugs bill.

Unwin is now calling for a proportion of the money that his practice, and others like it, save on drug bills to be used to fund further programmes for lifestyle treatments.

Unwin said: “We need proper remuneration and incentives that value lifestyle alternatives against long-term medication. We spend about £68,000 a year less than is average for the area on medication. I would only need half of those savings to fund further services, but there is no incentive for GP practices to do this work.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society...Za2IfBvJ GoZe0

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-23, 16:43

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
“Many of our patients have been low carb for six, eight or 10 years, so it is completely sustainable. If you had a drug that did half of what we have done with the low-carb approach, it would be worth an absolute fortune. No one is shouting about it because it is not a drug that’s making a profit for a big pharmaceutical company.”

That's the biggest reason low-carb is not recommended by the medical community.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-23, 17:11

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Dodger, sad but true .

Who came first Unwin or Atkins???

Im sure neither cares....its more a commentary on the oddities of human nature. And reporting.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-23, 04:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Im sure neither cares....its more a commentary on the oddities of human nature. And reporting.

If the fringes of the supermarket is where we find real food, the fringes of our society is where we see actual, reader supported, journalism. Instead of the snack food version we get from corporate sources, which sickens and kills us.

Our societal incentives have been distorted by psychotic beasts like unrestrained corporate power. It's a new form of Mutual Assured Destruction. (I grew up with duck 'n' cover
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-23, 04:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

He needs the publicity to keep the thing going. Such clinics often fight for survival because they are successful.

I think of Dr. Atkins, who was dragged in front of Congress in 1973 to explain why we should trust him when his patients were NOT dying. But experts were sure they would be, despite his years of clinical data. It would have been a great time for the whole nation to discuss science and its proper uses.

But of course we didn't do that. He was a quack with a fad diet AGAIN in 2003.

The whole thing reminds me, yet again, that when people act irrationally, they have an irrational reason. Some kind of treasured thing is being threatened, from their fast food drug of choice to something they learned in childhood and never examined in the light of day.

I had to train myself that, if I don't have a good reason, my impulse to flee from this might not be trustworthy. Not until I know why I reacted the way I did.

Over and over again, I see people continuing to resist the very IDEA of changing their food behaviors even as they get inevitably heavier and sicker. That's a warning for us all.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-23, 09:59

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Dr. Unwin is an unsung hero who, like other doctors who practice lifestyle changes to improve health, should be recognized. Unfortunately, we have these belief systems in medicine perpetrated by the pharmaceutical companies that continue to stoke the fires of these fraudulent belief systems.

Quote:
"A report in May 2021 by the government’s Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition recommended adults with type 2 diabetes who were overweight could choose a low-carb diet as a short-term option (for up to six months) but should limit intakes of saturated fats, reflecting dietary advice for the general population. The report noted there was limited data on longer-term interventions with the diet."

This quote from the article is a good example. The insidious message here is that low carb lifestyle changes are not sustainable and cause people to consume dreaded saturated fats. People must be careful in these cases, as the normal, approved diets that people have following since the late 1970s would never result in massive epidemics of obesity, heart disease, cancer, T2D, and early death . . . . . resulting in out-of-control health and social costs and deteriorating quality of life, now would they? Pharma won't be happy until there is a pill for people to take to address our nutritional shortcomings.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-23, 10:20

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Reading up on Dr. Unwin, I see that in 2015 he was made a UK Royal College of General Practitioners expert clinical advisor in for his dedicated efforts within the areas of patient communication and type 2 diabetes. Then, in 2016, he won the NHS Innovator of the Year award for his work with diabetes patients.

From 2017 to 2018, his practice saved £57,000 on drugs for type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and other conditions by offering patients a dietary alternative to medications.

In countries with national health systems, saving taxpayers' money may be the best way to promote healthful eating.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-23, 11:23

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Dr. Unwin has received some accolades and awards for his success with his patients' diabetes remission and his resulting cost savings. It's not enough when the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN) implies in their statement that the low carb approach is neither sustainable, using the term "short-term option," nor healthy when sat fats are consumed. Maybe the solution is for the NHS to put the GPs having success with lifestyle changes to achieve T2D remission in the UK on the advisory committee of the SACN. It is similar to the the Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGA). It's hard to find any DGA members who can claim no conflicts of interest and are promoting a whole food, low carb approach to nutritional health. These GPs who are courageous enough to challenge belief systems should be treated as experts who have the authority to review and create better policies. Use them as shining examples of clinical success. Not enough is being done today, especially in recognizing those nutritional approaches that are successful. In the US at least, it's become a cruel joke. I hope that we see some changes for the better soon.