Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 10:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/171/130 Female 5.3 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default DAY ONE smoke free - need help, testimonials, advice!

Hi everyone,

I love this forum and have been absent for some time although it used to be a daily reading for me every day a couple of years back when I first signed in. It is a great community and I'm glad I still have my username here

Well, I've decided to stop smoking. Today is day one for me. Any pointers? I'm 27, single mom, smoked 1 pack in a day approximately and have also recovered from other addictions in the past so I'm kinda scared of having cravings or periods of depression that may be too strong or that may lead me to having a difficult time. I'm kinda scared to let it go because somehow I imagine it contains me in moments of anxiousness or worry, etc. But I'm sure that's all my imagination so I wanted to ask if there's anyone out there who's had a similar experience and how they made sure things worked ok for them.

Thanks a lot everyone and keep it up for those who've already kicked the habit!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 10:41
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Here's a link that may be helpful.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...42&page=1&pp=15

Denise

Last edited by lcgrrl2006 : Thu, Jul-02-09 at 14:26.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 10:43
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamu
Hi everyone,

I love this forum and have been absent for some time although it used to be a daily reading for me every day a couple of years back when I first signed in. It is a great community and I'm glad I still have my username here

Well, I've decided to stop smoking. Today is day one for me. Any pointers? I'm 27, single mom, smoked 1 pack in a day approximately and have also recovered from other addictions in the past so I'm kinda scared of having cravings or periods of depression that may be too strong or that may lead me to having a difficult time. I'm kinda scared to let it go because somehow I imagine it contains me in moments of anxiousness or worry, etc. But I'm sure that's all my imagination so I wanted to ask if there's anyone out there who's had a similar experience and how they made sure things worked ok for them.

Thanks a lot everyone and keep it up for those who've already kicked the habit!

Are you just starting atkins? You may not want to tackle two addictions at the same time. Double whammy time.
denise
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 175/168.4/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 22%

I stopped smoking about 5 years ago. I had joined a health club at the time and was going every day, and then stopping to light a cigarette before I even got to the parking lot after working out. I thought how stupid is this???

I used a nicotine patch - I believe it was the Walgreen's generic and it worked just fine.

Also had to work on the triggers - like first cup of coffee in the a.m., the car, stress etc. That was the hardest part.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 12:01
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Congratulations, Lamu! You can do it!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 14:26
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

How'd it go today?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 08:28

Stats: 236/219/200 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 47%

I know some people choose to quit smoking cold turkey but maybe you need to invest in using tools that up your effectiveness. Maybe the nicotine patch could help you, or wellbutrin?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 19:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 255/234/165 Female 6'2
BF:
Progress: 23%

GET OUT OF THE HOUSE NOW!!!! If you put yourself in places that are smokefree as much as possible it helps. I live in a place where that is hard so I had to learn to change my habits. I used to smoke during commercial breaks out in th yard so I not chug water EVERY commercial break I want a smoke. I don't get the urge anymore at all. I quit in October. It takes time but journaling helps and realizing why you want to quit. For me it was my son yelling out the window "Mom, you smoking again?" I thought he didn't know. I didn't want to be that person so I had to look at what was important to me. I was a closet smoker for years meaning I didn't do it at work or in front of people (except at bars where is was acceptable). So, I didn't go out for about 2 months. Anyway, I am here if you ever just want to talk.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 01:07

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

I don't smoke but certainly have heard that nicotine patches help to wean you away from the nasty.

Try to use your imagination of how your future will be without the cigs and not how awful it will be trying to stop.

Our imagination is often worse than the reality.

Congratulations on your wise decision. Wishing you all the luck in the world for a smoke free life [B]!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 08:10

Stats: 172/153/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 59%

I quit smoking once with the patch, that lasted a year, then I started up again, but never at the same amount as previous. I quit again before I got pregnant with my son, and I did not use the patch. What I did that time that actually worked was I purposely avoided what made me want to smoke, like drinking coffee, alcohol, talking on the phone, etc. Whenever I felt like smoking, I did something else. I took a walk, went and talked to someone (if at work), or made myself do a load of laundry. I always said "if I want to smoke after I do this, then maybe I will" and I never did. Good luck!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-10, 17:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/188/158 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 25%

Smoke free since january and i found that patches did really help with cravings. I also made a decision not to worry about my weight as im just not that strong. Hence the reason im back LC as know the weight will come of and it will be a double whammy as feel great not smoking and will soon look better. Good luck im sure you will manage it.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-07-10, 21:48

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I smoked from age 16 until about a month ago. 22 years of two packs (at least) a day.

Quit three times during that time: boot camp, pregnancy, and once randomly.

I finally did it this time with Alan Carr's book. It is awesome. Cold turkey, and for me it was easy. I'd tried at least 10 times before this last quit, and it never worked.

I can't believe I ever smoked. I was a single mom and I spent at least $20,000 on cigarettes when I could buy my daughter a car or send her to state college for four years with that money.

The smell of my clothes and furniture gagged me after I quit. If people tell you that you do not stink when you smoke, they are lying.

Everyone has their own reasons to quit. Mine weren't health or wealth. I just know if I smoke one, I'll be smoking forever and I can't stand the thought of being a junkie ever again.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-12-10, 15:16

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Allen Carr's book is excellent - however it didn't quite work for me, so if anybody is reading this and doesn't have success after reading that book, the site which has been even more helpful for me was whyquit.com.

Both Allen's book and the above site stress the same points about nicotine addiction - although I think the website really goes into more detail about relapse and addiction itself.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-12-10, 15:17

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

oh yeah, and definitely the 'there is no such thing as smoking just one cigarette' is so true. It is an addiction after all.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 09:43

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%
Default clean your patch site first

I'm using the patch, and want to pass on a tip. I had noticed, over time, that the patch seemed to be less effective than it used to be. In the beginning, I used to get a burning sensation where I put the patch. Then that started to fad over time. And I seemed to be craving a cig much more. Then it dawned on me that my soap is leaving a film on my skin. So I now use rubbing alcohol to clean the film off and then put the patch on. Much better absorbtion now and cravings greatly diminished.