Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 10:07

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default DaVinci syrups

Can anyone suggest any of your favorite flavors of these syrups? I am thinking about ordering one or two. Looking for people who have tried them for recommendations.

Thanks!
Linda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 10:50

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default hey linda.

it is so nice to see you around lately. what a treat!
well, regarding the syrups... i have the chocolate and the carmel. i like them alot. i use them in mock danishes, flax-o-meal, and sometimes in coffee. i haven't really figured out where else to use them, but they are great in these things!!
hope this helps
regards
bren
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 11:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Absolute favourites of all time are Blueberry and Watermelon!

Close runner up is the Pancake (lightly Maple).

Today, just to see I tried the Gingerbread on some 'cereal', instead of just plain sweetener. Was surprisingly tasty!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 11:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:

I use DaVinci syrups to flavour my whey protein shakes (I use plain unsweetened powder), or for making a dessert custard or creamy thing. A simple protein breakfast or snack is to use a little DaVinci syrup in ½ cup full-fat ricotta (4 carbs), sprinkled with toasted almonds or hazelnuts.

I really like the Hazelnut, it reminds me of Frangelico liqueur. The Pancake/Maple flavour ... does add a nice sweet maple taste when used as an "ingredient" to flavour things, but I was disappointed to use it as an actual syrup on lowcarb pancakes, custard etc. Too sweet, too thin and .. well ... it's not maple syrup. OK, ok .. I'm a snob for the real thing.

I'm interested to try a fruit flavour ... Raspberry is a passion, and yes Judi, Blueberry pique's my interest too.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 11:42

BF:

I have not tried the mock danish yet (was going to last night but didnt eat much of anything after 1 pm-i hate being sick) but I might make them for Dan and I tonight. I was thinking about the chocolate and maybe I'll get the hazelnut or pancake/maple or....ah, so many choices!!!

Judi,
What do you use the Blueberry in? I am not a big fan of watermelon but I like blueberry!!!

Thanks for all the responses ladies!

Linda
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 13:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

English Toffee; chocolate; blueberry; and I especially like the Chai flavoured essence; it's good as a hot drink and if you add cream it's divine
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 13:22
Registered Member

Default nothing fancy, so far....

... Fern, haven't had enough kitchen time just to play, but I've used the blueberry with plain cold club soda (an "italian soda") as a refreshing drink, this last heat-wave summer (ditto on the watermelon!) and I occasionally have done as Do does, a bit of syrup on some lovely ricotta, all you need is a spoon!

I've also boosted or modified the flavour of SF Jello (homemade or commercial) with the fruity flavours.

I've been toying with the notion of nuking some fresh blueberries just to the point of bursting, in just enough of the blueberry syrup to moisten, and using that as a special dessert topping. Easy-peasy.

I'd like to try making a glaze with the Watermelon or the Raspberry (VERY nice, the raspberrry ) with an LC thickener (like not/Starch for example).

Any of the fruity flavours should make a lovely glaze or fancy dessert topping with very little fiddling.

Then there's the home-made pudding thing: I'd like to mess around with the Caramel, English Toffee and Dulce De Leche flavours in pudding experiments, but haven't got to it yet.

And I wanted to do something vaguely reminiscent of chutney to go with ham or roast pork, but haven't got to that yet, either...

Dang, there aren't enough hours in the day.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 07:56

BF:

OK,
I ordered 3 small bottles of the syrups so I could try them and see how I like them. I ordered Chocolate, Raspberry and French Vanilla. I should get them late next week or early the following week. I'll let you know what I think!

Thanks for all the advice!
Linda
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 10:29

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default small bottles?

hi linda!
where'd you get small bottles? how many oz? i would definately try more if i didn't have to spend so much to try them.

thanks!!
regards,
brenda
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 19:00

BF:

Hey Brenda,
I ordered them right from DaVinci's website, www.davincigourmet.com. They had options for some of the syrups, either 750 mL or 187 mL. THe 750 were $7.49 and the 187 mL were $3.69. It was probably a better deal to get the bigger ones but I wanted to try a few flavors and not get stuck with them if I didn't like them.

Linda
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 16:55

Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default DaVinci In Toronto

If anyone is having a problem finding DaVinci syrups like I am, one of the gals (Canadian) from my US LC group gave me the following information when I asked where in Toronto she purchased DaVinci syrup. Here's her reply (hope she doesn't mind me cutting & pasting her message) (thank you fellow LC'r, who shall remain anonomous here)

>>The place I found the syrups was called Zuccarini Gaggia, at 1335 Davenport, south side of the street, 1 block east of Dufferin. Phone number is 416-537-3439. Hours are Mon-Fri 9:30-6 and Sat 10-5, not open Sundays. Price is $9.50 bottle, no tax; if you buy a case of 12, they can be mixed, and are $7.50 per bottle.

If you know someone else that wants them maybe you can go halves on a case. I didn't know anyone else that wanted any or I would have done that.

They have almond, amaretto, banana, blueberry, chai, cherry, english toffee, hazelnut, irish cream, orange, pancake, peach, raspberry, strawberry, vanilla and watermelon. This is a wholesaler so if you call them they may supply to somone closer to you. If not, you can buy them right there.<<

Ciao,
Norma June
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 07:33

Stats: 235/192/130
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Da Vinci is at TJ Maxx

Hi, everyone. Our TJ Maxx stores here in New Hampshire carry the DaVinci syrups in the gourmet section. Not a lot of them, but (if you get there before I do!) you can pick up the large bottles of vanilla, french vanilla, ameretto, raspberry, macadamia, hazelnut for $5.99. Be careful- they also have the regular (with sugar) flavors. Happy hunting!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 18:07
Registered Member

Norma June and JaneyTom, have you posted this valuable information in our own LowCarb International YellowPages (which is also our product/shopping database)?? Sure would be nice if you have!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 10:02

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I order Davinci syrups from the company website (http://www.davincigourmet.com). Do Canadians have to pay duty on food that crosses the border?

We have tried many flavors, including banana, blueberry, raspberry, chocolate, cherry, caramel, grape, French vanilla, cinammon, amaretto, peach, and a couple of others I can't remember at the moment, but we have liked them all so far. We mainly use them to make Italian sodas, mixed with seltzer. My husband and I make all kinds of odd combinations (chocolate and banana is a fave, as is blueberry and French vanilla with a touch of cinammon) and try to outdo each other. Those taste so much better than aspartame-sweetened diet sodas. The Davinci website also has tons of recipes for using the syrups. Can you say sorbet?

We do occasionally add Vanilla or Chocolate or Cherry to diet Coke, which improves it a great deal.

I have, in a moment of madness, made a baked apple (we split one) with the caramel syrup, butter, and cinammon, and it was delicious.

I have also used them to flavor whipped cream and have made my own gelatin with 3/4 cup syrup to one envelope Knox gelatin and 1-1/4 cups of water. Sounds pricey, but I compared it to Jello and it wasn't that much more expensive. And let's face it, the red Jellos all start to taste the same after a while. :

Karla
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 19:43

Stats: 452/386/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Thumbs up DaVinci Chai Tea

All I can say is this stuff is great! I used to have chai every morning, but quit when I started to LC. I really expected this to not be very good but was pleasantly surprised.

Mark