Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 12:55

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinityx03
Word up. We've all known 50 year old joggers who have dropped dead of heart attacks. And for some reason it's always considered a fluke! "He was in excellent shape!" uh, okay. He JOGGED himself to death at 50. But certainly you can't call completely couch locked individuals the picture of health. If your heart goes into a frenzy every time you walk across a room, that can't be good for you. And what is health but a predictor of your survival? Aren't you more likely to meet your demise if you can't run from danger or even if your balance is off and you're clumsy?

However, many people on low carb have lower heart rates even though they're pretty sedentary. Is it possible that the rushing heart rate is caused by factors OTHER than movement? I know the first indication I normally get when I develop severe anemia is my heart starts racing with the most minimal of activity (climbing stairs leaves me winded, for instance). I certainly am not exercising these days except for a few yoga stretches and push ups when I think about it, yet my heartrate is about 60, down from the 90 it was when I ate high carb.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 13:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/181/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredangel
However, many people on low carb have lower heart rates even though they're pretty sedentary. Is it possible that the rushing heart rate is caused by factors OTHER than movement? I know the first indication I normally get when I develop severe anemia is my heart starts racing with the most minimal of activity (climbing stairs leaves me winded, for instance). I certainly am not exercising these days except for a few yoga stretches and push ups when I think about it, yet my heartrate is about 60, down from the 90 it was when I ate high carb.

Wow. Okay, that's very interesting! The heart rate thing is one of my pros for exercising, so that is something to consider. But is heart rate the mechanism that affects endurance and stamina? I mean your lungs get a work out, too, trying to get enough oxygen thru your body, which I dont think would happen if you were pretty sedentary. And what about strength? I would consider all those things health benefits as well.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 13:19

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmaniac
The height thing could be a problem but I wonder if one of the trainers at the gym couldn't show you how to adjust the machine. If he or she is trained to do so, that is!
Ha I AM one of the trainers at the gym. (this is a program that churns out fitness trainers.) It is fun seeing from the other end how trainers are trained. It's not just height but as you know, limb length, back waist, crotch depth, what about ham-sized arms and thighs, bellies that get in the way.

I do think the machines are getting better and better at handling a larger range of sizes. And it differs by machine. But in many gyms, older and cheaper equipment just doesn't handle it.

This is one of my personal problems. People come in wanting a simple program to "get healthy" (or really burn calories) and they think machines are the way to do it and they emphatically do not want to learn about the body. I have total contempt for that approach but who asked for my opinion? I am supposed to be a service person. Luckily I don't actually need to get a job or practice in it yet.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 13:43
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I just got Arnold's "The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding" last night. I had so much fun going through it. While it's not new or perfectly up to date (on nutrition, issues like HIT etc.) it's neat-o. One of the things shown in many of the diagrams of free weights is how someone with a long torso/spine, or long arms, has to shift the way they do something vs. someone shorter. I admit I had never really thought of that!

I also got 'strength training anatomy' which is a very simple book, basically an exercise, every imaginable muscle in the body near it let alone involved, how to do the exercise, what it works, a few variants that shift what is worked or how much, a machine and a freeweight option for each, etc. Simple but cool. Fabulous exploded muscle definition diagrams in the back of the book. I will have to get my scanner out. Up until now I've only been using (as a private page, this isn't linked on any public website) the pics and info I could hack out of various webs for some exercises (here) as a 'reminder' sheet. It doesn't have animated gif but otherwise that book is way better.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 14:13

BF:

Quote:
Wow. Okay, that's very interesting! The heart rate thing is one of my pros for exercising, so that is something to consider. But is heart rate the mechanism that affects endurance and stamina? I mean your lungs get a work out, too, trying to get enough oxygen thru your body, which I dont think would happen if you were pretty sedentary. And what about strength? I would consider all those things health benefits as well.

When I say I'm fairly sedentary, I don't work out except occasionally, and never aerobically. I don't spend all my time with my butt planted on a chair, however. I'm just saying whatever causes the heart to beat too quickly may also be the reason a person IS sedentary. My guess is one reason for both is blood sugar related. Once the blood sugar is stablized, both the heart rate slows and the person has more energy to get up off the couch. Severe anemia is another reason for both no energy and increased herat rate. I'm sure there are plenty other health-related reasons as well.

As far as increasing lung capacity and such, again, I don't know. You have brought up the fact that people overexercise and die from it. See, many people have this idea that people are sedentary because they enjoy it and they have decreased energy because they are sedentary. I'm saying that they are sedentary because they have decreased energy and once you find out what is causing that decrease, you can take steps to correct it. When I get anemic, I get a transfusion and that cures it. When I had blood sugar issues I stopped eating sugar and that cured it. Carbs are so addicting, though, that often people find it too difficult to give them up.

Whether exercise is healthy or not I don't know. I don't think it helps weight loss, but I think light strength training keeps our muscles healthy.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 14:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:

You might want to mention this to your doctor. It might not be related to your fitness level at all, lots of things can make your heart beat too slowly, like thyroid disease or certain drugs. If your heart can't beat fast enough you have a really hard time exercising and would get out-of-breath.

Oh, you already know that anemia does this to you?
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 14:57
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
But hold on, isn't exercise supposed to be boring and hard and painful and exhausting? And isn't that the quality that makes exercise productive?
Hard and exhausting (but it's a good exhaustion), yes, boring and painful, no. If it's boring you're spending far too much time at it and with not nearly enough intensity. Maximum intensity requires maximum focus, you can't go on autopilot like you can doing "cardio". At any rate, the HIT program I'm doing takes one 12 minute session a week, hardly enough time to get bored. As far as pain goes, if it's painful you're doing the wrong exercise or doing it wrong.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 15:17
Dog is my copilot

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
I do think the machines are getting better and better at handling a larger range of sizes. And it differs by machine. But in many gyms, older and cheaper equipment just doesn't handle it.
The facility I go to has nothing but machines, mostly Med-x, with a few Nautilus. I don't have any trouble getting fitted for the most part (5'2" female).
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 15:30

Plan: was Atkins now PāNu
Stats: 292.5/195/160 Female 5'10"
BF:

Quote:
However, many people on low carb have lower heart rates even though they're pretty sedentary.

Lower than what? Lower than 60bpm (avg. resting heart rate is considered between 60bpm and 90bpm) just with diet alone? Or lower than before they began low-carb and before they lost weight?
Quote:
I certainly am not exercising these days except for a few yoga stretches and push ups when I think about it, yet my heartrate is about 60, down from the 90 it was when I ate high carb.

60 is considered average, not low. Yes, it is good to be lower than higher, but you are still in the normal range. When you switched your diet from high-carb to low-carb did you also experience your significant weight loss? I'm not going to poo-poo low-carb, obviously, but I do think that significant weight loss, even if one was doing low-fat/high-carb, might lower most people's resting heart rate at almost the same rate.

I can't remember reading about people obtaining a resting heart rate of, let's say, 47 (since that's mine currently), with just diet and weight loss alone. Is there somewhere someone can point me to regarding this? For sure my heart rate dropped by losing 100lbs, but it was still over 60, only running pushed it below 50.

And just to second the comment that a low resting heart rate can be a sign of ill-health as well so if one does have a low resting heart rate but also gets easily winded when doing some form of exercise (even walking up stairs), then it is a sign something else is going on and should be checked out.

Last edited by brpssm : Thu, Nov-12-09 at 15:41.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: Zone Good Enough
Stats: 223/194/185 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Well, a priori, the brain can't function properly when it's malnourished. So no matter what psychological trick we devise, when the brain ain't working well, the solutions won't stick. That applies to the rest of the body as well. If the cells are sick, it doesn't matter how much we move, the cells are going to stay sick.

Well, a posteriori, deliberate movement can indeed change the way the cells process nutritional substrates. Additionally, the body will protect the brain at all costs, including sacrificing itself to feed the brain what it needs. By altering the mental process, changes occur in neuro-transmitter levels that have down stream effects in the body. There are also feed back loops via Catecholamines, that exercise can effect by reducing stress and systemic inflammation. Its not a psychological trick.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 15:36

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
The facility I go to has nothing but machines, mostly Med-x, with a few Nautilus. I don't have any trouble getting fitted for the most part (5'2" female).
Was this also true at your heighest weight? were you ever over 250?
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 15:37

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Word up. We've all known 50 year old joggers who have dropped dead of heart attacks. And for some reason it's always considered a fluke! "He was in excellent shape!" uh, okay. He JOGGED himself to death at 50

I seem to recall that someone in one of my wife's running books (maybe Joe Friel?) said that this didn't happen until runners started eating low-fat vegetarian diets; runners who eat meat and fat don't get heart attacks. Can anyone tell me where this information came from, or if you've heard otherwise?
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 15:41
Dog is my copilot

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Was this also true at your heighest weight? were you ever over 250?
No, my max was about 220, and I wasn't doing HIT at that weight. However, I think they would probably work. Some of the people who work out there are quite large. The Med-x machines have a lot of adjustments. I think they have a lineage in the physical therapy/rehab world.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 16:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You might want to mention this to your doctor. It might not be related to your fitness level at all, lots of things can make your heart beat too slowly, like thyroid disease or certain drugs. If your heart can't beat fast enough you have a really hard time exercising and would get out-of-breath.

Oh, you already know that anemia does this to you?

Yes, every few years I get sick enough that I need a transfusion. My point was that whatever causes people to be sedentary may be what causes their hearts to race when they exert themselves, and it may not be due to being "out of shape." I used anemia as another example, because it's not as arguable as blood sugar issues.

My heart is FINE. My heart rate is good. My heart rate is lower because of a low carb diet. I have more energy because of a low carb diet.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-09, 16:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brpssm
Lower than what? Lower than 60bpm (avg. resting heart rate is considered between 60bpm and 90bpm) just with diet alone? Or lower than before they began low-carb and before they lost weight?

60 is considered average, not low. Yes, it is good to be lower than higher, but you are still in the normal range. When you switched your diet from high-carb to low-carb did you also experience your significant weight loss? I'm not going to poo-poo low-carb, obviously, but I do think that significant weight loss, even if one was doing low-fat/high-carb, might lower most people's resting heart rate at almost the same rate.

I can't remember reading about people obtaining a resting heart rate of, let's say, 47 (since that's mine currently), with just diet and weight loss alone. Is there somewhere someone can point me to regarding this? For sure my heart rate dropped by losing 100lbs, but it was still over 60, only running pushed it below 50.

And just to second the comment that a low resting heart rate can be a sign of ill-health as well so if one does have a low resting heart rate but also gets easily winded when doing some form of exercise (even walking up stairs), then it is a sign something else is going on and should be checked out.

Lower than the 90 it was. Is there an advantage to having a heart rate of 47? My mom's is 52 without working out. And I already said what my diagnosis is -- anemia. And my ONLY point was that someone who is sitting on the couch and gets winded walking across the room -- BOTH may be caused by blood sugar issues instead of being sedentary causing the person to be winded when they exert themselves in the slightest.