Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 11:21
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 200/193/140
BF:44%/42%/20%
Progress: 12%
Default Can we have just one?

Hi all, what's your opinion on this?

I like European dark chocolate, and my favorite brand is 71% cocoa and has 6 grams of carb per square. One piece is all I want, and it tastes so divine. I figure, this should fit in, right?

(Meanwhile I've been stalled for a few weeks, but I don't want to believe that one small square of chocolate a couple times a week is the main cause of that!)

I'd be glad for your thoughts on the matter. Since we're all different, if I can lose and still do this, is there any reason I should stop? (that's IF I can lose! )

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 11:38

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Lightbulb Dr. S lists multiple reasons why you should stop...

....in her book.

But you have to decide what's right for you. It's not just the carb count in any given "forbidden" food. It's the other things that, per Dr. S, make them bad for us.

The sugar and caffeine are the big ones I understand, even if it's low in sugar compared to regular dark chocolate.

I was an accomplished chocolatier, so I fully understand your consternation over this issue. I gave up thousands of dollars worth of imported chocolate and chocolatiering equipment when I stared in Feb. It was worth it, and of all things, chocolate is the ONE thing that I have had ZERO cravings or desire to eat! Thanks to the Lord!

If you can't give it up, then don't. Like Karen says in her sig, "Progress, not perfection." But just keep in mind that it still has a hold on you if you are unable to give it up.

And it could actually stall you. Our bodies are all different. I am very sensitive to artificial sweeteners and wheat. One packet of any AS or more than a serving of any wheat product will not only stall me, but send the cravings through the roof, setting me up for a fall. Of course, YMMV.

I find that when I have more cheese, I tend not to lose as fast, but I understand that and am prepared for whatever happens.

If you can, try not eating that one square for a week or two and not changing anything else and see what happens. Then you'll know. Best wishes.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 16:55
Registered Member

Default square avoidance

Thanks for the thoughts, TheBetty! I'll write back in two weeks to let you know if I was able to avoid that "square."

Meanwhile, I have a 5 day vacation coming up so oh boy, here we go, wish me luck!

Happy Labor Day!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 17:25

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Talking Have a SUPER SUPER vacation!

Yes, enjoy your vacation, you deserve it!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 13:20
Registered Member

Default I survived my vacation

Hi Betty,
I just got back from my extended weekend. Phew! My husband and I got through it really well! As a matter of fact, it wasn't even a problem. We laughed as the waiters looked at us funny as they took away our plates piled high with refined-flour hamburger rolls, breadsticks, garlic toast, all that crap. We order side salads with everything and had to order extra meat sometimes - I had no idea there was so little meat in most of the burgers or sandwiches I was eating! Nuts and fruit made up most of our carbs.

We went up to Canada so there was great French food available. We did drink red wine a few times but for the most part that worked out well (once we split a whole bottle and sure enough I had my old friend indigestion that night! Now I know that's too much for me...) And we had one agreed-upon splurge of - you guessed it - chocolate for dessert. A chocolate creme brulee to be exact. I kept my portion to about 1/3 cup and that seemed just right - no indigestion and no overly full feelings so I was really happy and encouraged that occasionally I can enjoy the occasional treat without feeling lousy.

I also re-read the entire SP book. I see it differently than before. Now I see that she is talking about a REALLY long process, perhaps years, and if I truly want to be a TSP'er I think I should get used to that. If not, perhaps I need to consider Protein Power or Somercizing/Montingac or restrict my carbs to 40-50 rather than 60, or something like that. But I like what she says about balance, so I want to keep trying her approach. She said in one section that some people didn't even start LOSING until 6 MONTHS to ONE YEAR after they began! Wow. Damaged metabolisms, she said. That put things in perspective!

Thanks for the support. I loved your message to another LC'er where you posted your photos of food - that was really helpful!

Take care,