Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-19, 07:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/244/160 Female 5'9''
BF:
Progress: 7%
Smile New (again...) Hi

I致e been trying to lose weight on and off for a long time. I知 51 and my feet are arthritic. I have found some good shoes (Hoka Bondi 5). Spring is here and I知 trying to lose weight again. The doctor said that I知 prediabetic and gave me a prescription for Metformin. I tried eating 2 Michelina meals a day with Metformin and Alli pills and extra fruits and vegetables. That lasted for about 2 weeks with a little success.
I also tried eating octo lacto vegan and throwing out all the junk that people eat in this house. That lasted about a week.
I also tried Medifast and spent a lot of money and went to their clinic悠 lost about 23 pounds but gradually gained it back all within 6 months or so...
Now I知 back to low carb because I cook for my family more often. There are a lot of delicious recipes.
I知 going to make a list of reasons why I need to stay on plan.

Last edited by Netletten : Thu, Apr-11-19 at 07:20.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-19, 07:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back!

Know Your Why is a great first step. Kristie Sullivan even has a form to complete. https://cookingketowithkristie.com/...-know-your-why/

There was a new study on why LC helps relieve the pain of arthritis in media: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=482196 Some good info to help you stay on track in the links.
All the best,
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-19, 08:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Welcome, Netletten! You have a great opportunity to be successful on a low carb way of eating (WOE). In fact, after a period of time you come to realize that a) it's easy to have satisfying meals with the vast amount of foods that are considered low carb and you can easily manage this even if other family/ household members are not following it. It's easy to not eat potatoes, grains or other starches or sugars and still have healthy veggies and protein as a standard part of the meal, and b) After a short period of time, you'll no longer crave or feel hunger for the usual carbs that you used to eat. That actually happens, and you'll also realize that your health is improving by consistently eating low carb. All the best.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-19, 10:42

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Welcome !!

LC definitely helps arthritis. At least it does for me. After a severe wrist injury any time I went off plan, my wrist acted up : a perfect reminder to get back to LC. While Im not perfect at LC, more on than off, my wrist functions perfectly now and I forget that it was ever severely damaged. ( Bones fixed and realigned; minor damage to tendons and ligaments; two surgeries. Two years to get 99% use back)

Doc said I would get arthritis. 95% chance. IMHO low carb gave me that 5% chance at no arthritis.

Good health is a good motivator-- know your why!!

Good luck!! Persevere thru the ups and downs and off plan days.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Apr-11-19 at 12:08.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-19, 11:14
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 293.6/261.6/180 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I'm a brand new member here as well, but I will join these nice folks at welcoming you. You can do it, kick those carbs and show them who's the boss. The spring is here and it's the perfect time for this "spring cleaning"

#6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-19, 21:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Welcome back!

Know Your Why is a great first step. Kristie Sullivan even has a form to complete. https://cookingketowithkristie.com/...-know-your-why/

There was a new study on why LC helps relieve the pain of arthritis in media: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=482196 Some good info to help you stay on track in the links.
All the best,

Thanks, I値l check out the links!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-19, 21:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Welcome, Netletten! You have a great opportunity to be successful on a low carb way of eating (WOE). In fact, after a period of time you come to realize that a) it's easy to have satisfying meals with the vast amount of foods that are considered low carb and you can easily manage this even if other family/ household members are not following it. It's easy to not eat potatoes, grains or other starches or sugars and still have healthy veggies and protein as a standard part of the meal, and b) After a short period of time, you'll no longer crave or feel hunger for the usual carbs that you used to eat. That actually happens, and you'll also realize that your health is improving by consistently eating low carb. All the best.

Thanks GRB5111, I have to make it work and it helps to not crave the starches. I love broccoli and spinach. I知 planning on making more spaghetti squash Italian casseroles!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-19, 07:35

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Welcome back Netletten! Your story sounds a lot like mine. Probably a lot of us have gone through multiple weight loss plans with little success until we found low carb.

I think its doable to cook for your family and eat low carb.....you just let them add the bread and potatoes, and you just eat the meat and veggies. My hardest challenge came with spaghetti, which my family and I LOVE. I would cook my sauce as usual, and they would eat it over pasta while I used spaghetti squash as my pasta. Not the same, but I still got the taste.

Hey, congratulations on finding the Hokas! I started using them a few years ago when my knees and feet were killing me. I am wearing the Bondi's also, but buy the men's because they are wider and I have bunions. Hokas tend to run on the narrow side. Thank goodness they are now making a wide version in some models. Hokas make a huge difference in my knee and foot pain.

Actually, the foot and knee pain are what started me on my weight loss journey this time. I went to the podiatrist because of the pain and he gently told me that all would be much better if I lost weight....something about each step getting double the pounds of pressure with each step......When I left his office with orthotics for my shoes, I purchased the Hokas and became determined to lose weight. Since I saw him I am down 78 pounds. I thank him for each pound lost

Best of luck