Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 14:26

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default How long for those last 10lbs?

In the beginning the weight seemed to fall off. Now that I have 10
pounds to go instead of 50lbs., the falling off part has stopped. Even when I am eating perfectly for weeks, still no change. It's funny, but it seems the only way I loose a pound is a day or two of eating carbs. It goes against what I really want, but with the holidays, it was easier than usual. So, my question to you all is..,

How long did it take you to loose those last pesky 10 pounds?

How did you do it? Did you restrict your carbs back to induction?
Or were you just patient?

I know everyone is different, but I just need something to hold on
to.

Congrats to all of you for reaching your goal!
Heather
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 08:14
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/114/120
BF:
Progress:
Default last 5

hey it was really hard for me to loose the last 5. so what i did was only ate eggs, meat and chesse, an i wouldnt eat after 6:00 pm. it worked
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 08:17

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Took me almost a year. But I'm a very slow loser to begin with.

It's a GOOD thing that the weight loss slows down at the end.

Imagine landing a plane at flying speed? You'd crash. In a plane and in weight loss: You have to slow down in order to prepare for "maintenance".
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 02:35

Plan: CKD
Stats: 202/208/215
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi,

I'm not sure how your excercise is. But if you try to wake up a little earlier and go for a quick walk or run on an empty stomach it will help with the fat loss. If you don't like to run or walk, then shoot me a e-mail I'll make up a bunch of easy to do excercises to help burn some calories

Sincerely,

Jeff
email: generationjeff~shaw.ca
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 08:58

BF:

Right now I use what is called an XL Glider. Lately I've been using it on an empty stomach for 40 mins. instead of my usual 30 mins. I also use a torso roller for my abdominals which I totally love! ( I was in a auto accident last year and crunches can just not be done yet)
But I'm always looking for something new and exciting. Although it's probably closer to an exercise I have done in the past and put in the closet! I know, no pain, no gain, so bring it on!
Heather
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 23:17

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default I agree with LCSPonge...

I'm on my last 12 lbs and loving (that could be strong word, but you get my point). It's funny b/c I don't really know what made me calm down.

Anyway, I don't know if you're like this, but my body needs catch up time...it seems to be about every 10 lbs, I plateau for a week - I could be mental...lol. I'm not kidding, I sat at 160 and 150 for about a week. Maybe you're body needs catch up time. Just keep a positive attitude, b/c it definitely helps... I'll be rooting for you - you can do it
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 15:17

Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

I was a quick loser..lol well maybe just a loser in generaly.LOL But the weight did come off fast for me. The last 10 pounds took 6 weeks. I reached 140 beginning of sept but apparently my body wasnt quite ready to quit losing..lol. I have lost 6 pounds in the last 3 months so maybe thats where my premaintaince phase was really at. I also found if I did 2 days where I ate more carbs then cut back for the next few days the scale would move.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 15:59

Default gwilson38,

About that last part...I think I've experienced something similar. I've found that sometimes, if I eat more carbs for a couple of days, I lose...I thought it was me being mental (again). I remember reading about this woman (from a much earlier thread) that ate a bunch of cake and later lost weight???? I know this is not an outcome that should be expected, but it's still wierd all the same. I'm glad I found that my wierd logic may not be too flawed...

Anyway, about those last ten pounds...six weeks seems llike great progress (and the 6 more that came later...I'm jealous). I've lost 30 lbs. in three months, but the last 5 took about three weeks (although I cheated like crazy w/ my bf's mom b/c she's on maintenance and I thought I was on maintenance or something...lol).
The one thing I know is slowing me down is FIBER ONE. I got sooo stopped up it was driving me crazy so I started eating Fiber 1 in the morning with the tiniest bit of 2% milk - it has been the ONLY thing to help.

Well, good luck everyone.

Erin
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 17:14

BF:
Default Just wondering

Hey guys,
I have a question. On the days that you eat more carbs, are you on Atkins at all and just eating more legal carbs, or do you just throw the whole thing out the window and eat whatever carbs you want? Also on your carb days, do you eat alot of fat, or do you keep your fat content low? What about your protein?

Thanks so much!
Heather
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 18:49

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi Heather - on maintenance I do fluctuate my carb intake day by day.

Where before I would eat potatoes/rice/pasta every day, I now eat them MAYBE once a week at about 1/2 the portion I used to eat (if that). I have fruit every 2nd or 3rd day, instead of daily. I still avoid sugar wherever possible, and don't eat anything with bleached flour in it.

For example tonight's dinner was:

12 escargots, with about 4 tablespoons butter and 1 ounce old cheddar melted on them
4 bacon wrapped scallops
1 cup stirfried veggies (carrots, lettuce, bok choy, onion, celery)
1 sugar-free shortbread cookie (made with rice flour)
1 glass white wine

Tonight was higher fat than I normally eat. But that's because I didn't eat much fat for breakfast and lunch.

So on maintenance I still watch which carbs I eat.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 21:14

Default liddle,

I'm not sure if your thread was directed towards me concerning my increase of carbs and continued weight loss...but if it was ...

on my days that I eat more carbs, it's usually a slice of whole wheat bread, maybe a chicken fingers from wendy's or a piece of fruit, champagne (a lot), etc. I haven't totally thrown the WOL out the window and ate crazy (no cake, etc). It's wierd b/c I don't feel like I'm cheating though, but I guess if I eat the stuff I listed above, I am...whatever...lol. Most of the time I think I go over board with Fiber One or veggies on my increased carb days...however, I'm NOT on maintenance (unlike LCSponge), I'm still on OWL. Also, the days I eat more carbs, I definitely eat less fat, but that's just me. I hope I answered your question. The reason why I began uping my carbs occasionally is b/c I found it aided in my regularity.

Erin
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 21:20

Default Ohhhhh,

LCSponge I'm sorry I thought you were on maintenance...I hadn't realized that you established a new goal I referred to you in my above post, sorry. How are you doing with the new goal? How much more weight did you decide to lose?

Good Luck,
Erin
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 09:46

Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

Erin---- actually the concept of eating higher carbs for a few days then cutting back isnt weird..lol U R ok. Look at any WOE...if U continue with the same foods and calorie intake your body gets used to it which causes a stall. By shaking it up, U get your metabolism geared up again. As for fiber....I started adding the pure bran flakes to things I eat sometimes...this morning I had oatmeal with bran added. I did buy a fiber supplement said no sugar...but when I looked at it more closely contained sorbitol.. a real no no. LC SPONGE----- daammmmn woman I want to eat din din at your house....sounds yummy!!! and HEATHER---- even days when I high carb..I still dont fall off the wagon. Thats the days I would eat say an apple...oatmeal, ummmm crackers...more veggies. I stay totally away from sugars and refined flours. I still eat a lot of protein and fat on those days. On your cereal maybe have cream instead of milk?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 11:38

BF:

Thanks guys,
Yes, that means you too Erin. I really appreciate it. I'm just stuck I guess. I had 2 days of just carbs (no protein) then did induction over again and only lost 1 "real pound". ( I had gained and lost those pounds along w/ a pound). I forget how many days it's been since on induction, I think 2 wks now. Yep.
Anyway, nothing is moving or changing. I am just stuck! I exercise 5 x's a wk. and I added light weight training back into my routine. Still nothing. Maybe I'll try some oatmeal. I never ate it very often but for some reason, I'm missing it now. Must be the time of year. I just have to remember that it'll take time. I guess this will teach me patience.

Later,
Heather
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 13:58

Default Heather,

I know you really want to reach your goal, but don't put too much pressure on yourself. Ask - how you I feel? Do I like the way I look? Etc... I read a bunch of post that said when they weren't even looking they lost weight. It will happen as long as you stick with it (and I know you will). How long have you been in Atkins? I guess if it's taken a long time, I would been anxious too. But for me, I lost 30 ls in three months - I just bought all new clothes (well, some new standard pieces). I'm happy. Don't get me wrong I want those last 11 to come off, but sometimes I think if I loss too fast, I won't know what to do when it's all gone. Does that make sense? Anyway, either way I'll be routing for you Hey, maybe the weight training is doing something - you know the whole muscles weigh more that fat thing? Are you taking your measurements?

Good Luck,
Erin