Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 12:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%
Question advice needed - to GAIN weight!

not for me, for my boyfriend. he's about 20 lbs underweight and needs to gain weight.

he's got a slender build, is fairly active, eats regularly but not too interested in large portions, never been a big eater. eats a lot of junk food (loves mcdonald's). takes no suppliments.

he's always been this size.

he's started on fitday, only a day's worth of info so far.

does anyone have any advice on how he can increase his appetite? he knows he needs more excersize to increase the appetite, are there suppliments etc that might help as well? any advice is appreciated - i figured with all the combined nutrional info you guys possess, someone might have ideas!

here's his fitday (so far...):
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...Owner=mike22314

p.s. i wish i had this problem. i'd eat the eastern seaboard.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 12:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/190/150 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

God I wish I had that problem....
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 12:45

Plan: Lower Carb/glycemic foods
Stats: 179.5/163.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Suzzane,

My hubby is a slim jim too and he eats lots of junk. I have to make sure he eats right to keep him from losing weight (he is 6ft and goes between 150 and 155). If I don't he easily slips to 145.

I would suggest this. Looking at his fitday, he is filling up on sodas (and beer which I would love to argue with, but I won't give up my wine soooooo). He needs to drink less and eat more. Specifically some healthier foods that are higher in fat. His carbs are insane and you can tell it is due mostly to the amount of soda he is drinking.

Does he eat meat? If yes, try to get him to eat more whole meats and veges. Cook in olive oil or butter whenever you can and add sauces (if he can stand it, if not just butter, olive or sesame oil) to his veges. Try getting him to drink some milk instead of some of that soda. If he likes eggs, that is a great way to up morning calories. Maybe if he is in a rush he can stop for bacon egg and cheese? Hubby refuses to drink those shakes, but it is an option if he wants it. Nuts are always a great high fat option. While he drinks his beer, have him snack on some mixed nuts. The calories, vitamins and healthy fats would do him some good. Looking at your bf menu, he should be taking supplements or eating better. His poor body!

Best of luck to both of you!

Kristi
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 12:59

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Well, this might not help him gain weight...but he really shouldn't be drinking 7 Beers a day.

Code:
Calories: 2455 Fat: 27g (9.9%) Saturated: 8g (2.9%) Net Carbohydrates: 345g (56.2%) Protein: 49g (8.0%) Alcohol: 92g (26.2%)

As for increasing appetite, I found Bananas and Graham Crackers to be especially effective.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 13:14

Plan: low cal,less pro. atkins
Stats: 138/130/118 Female 179 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 40%

if he eats a lot right before bed, he will gain weight. In Japan, sumo wrestlers eat a lot of things like sushi rice and beef in sauce, then they go right away to sleep. This is so they will gain weight. To gain fat. After your boyfriend gains weight, then he should lift weights to turn the fat into muscle. That will in turn make him even heavier because the muscle will weigh more.
If he wants to gain weight via suppliments, he could buy bulking powder and take things like creatine, but I can honestly say I do not know how healthy those are. Eating a lot of peanut butter will help too. Eat it by the jar, but buy the natural kind, lol. Jiffy and the like have hydronated oils in them.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 14:27

Stats: 166/125.5/130 Female 66"
BF:24%
Progress: 113%

I'm glad someone started this thread. My husband eats, eats, eats but doesn't gain any weight. He's 6'4" and weighs 160. I'm beginning to think he needs a visit to the doctor to see what isn't doing whatever it's supposed to.

Yesterday's menu (in case you have any suggestions):

Breakfast: 2 bagels smothered in cream cheese w/ a glass of iced tea w/ sweetener

Lunch / Snack: 2 liters Code Red Mountain Dew, 1/2 Rotisserie Chicken, 1 small container of baked beans, 1 small container of cole slaw, and 1 roll. Three Wendy's Chicken Strips w/ Deli Honey Mustard sauce w/ 1 can of Mountain Dew. (Normally drinks this much soda but eats Wendy's Junior Cheeseburger and 5 Piece chicken nuggets w/ sweet and sour sauce OR Wendy's Bacon Cheeseburger meal w/ chicken nuggets and sweet and sour sauce)

Dinner: An entire box of Pasta Roni White Cheddar and Shells w/ small amount of sausage mixed in. 3 glasses of iced tea w/ 1 sweetener each. Normally has a can of corn or a can of spinach with shedd's spread for a late night snack but didn't last night.

I know veggies are sorely missing but it's like pulling teeth because the only veggies he likes are potatoes, canned spinach, onions and canned corn. Last Saturday, he ate 2 large twice baked potatoes that he made himself with bacon bits, sour cream and shedd's spread for supper (he hates butter).

Julie

Last edited by JulieL : Sat, Oct-04-03 at 14:31.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 14:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

thanks, these are great suggestions. yeah, lotta beer there, weekend warriors you know (he's english, loves his beer).

i've tried to get him off those awful cokes! he won't even drink diet.

he can't drink too much milk, it can upset him. BUT he loves strawberry milk, so guess what we just stocked up on? he has a grill & eats a lot of grilled meats, but also loves sautee'd veg with them - i'll add some butter or oil to the veg as we cook tonight.

according to another site i found, he needs to eat 5 or 6 times a day, every couple hours. some of the suggestions for even just snacks (glass of milk, apple, handful of nuts) would fill him up & he'd not eat his meal.

he's determined, though. hmmm, wonder how i can help increase his appetite?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 15:44

Stats: 175/125/115 Female 5'
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 83%

He definitely needs more protein. He should be getting at leat 90 grams of protein. It would probably help to lift weights which would build muscle instead of fat which would be much healthier. Protein shakes, mix protein powder in things like mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower with cheese.