Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-23, 05:39

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default How we fell out of love with breakfast cereal

Quote:
How we fell out of love with breakfast cereal

The launch of a new 'bedtime cereal' confirms what we have always known about this nightmarish anti-food

‘For 130 million American adults, a good night’s sleep is elusive,’ reads the blurb of Sweet Dreams, the latest product from the aptly named Post Consumer Brands. ‘You deserve good sleep, and we want to help you enjoy it!’

What is this miracle sedative, you wonder? Some kind of tablet, perhaps, engineered to knock you out with maximum efficiency? Or a herbal tea, made with a snooze-inducing blend of plants and extracts?

Wrong. Sweet Dreams is a cereal, or as they used to be known, a ‘breakfast cereal’. It comes in two flavours: Blueberry Midnight and Honey Moonglow. Its creators hail it as the ‘first ready-to-eat cereal specially designed to support a good sleep routine’. The reader is enjoined to ‘make Sweet Dreams cereal a part of your bedtime routine and enable a better sleep cycle’.

Or in other words, eat a fourth meal a day.

No, thanks. Although it is presented as ‘innovation’, this is really the last-chance saloon for a foodstuff whose time has been and gone. Despite a small bounce during the pandemic, cereals have been in a steady decline, replaced by healthier breakfast options, or for many, by skipping the meal altogether. For those of us who have never liked the stuff, it is vindication: proof that if you wait long enough, you will live to see the downfall of breakfasts you despise.

Nobody could say cereal didn’t have a good run. From the moment that the Kellogg’s flaked their first corn in the 19th century, cereal grew to monstrous proportions, casting a shadow over other morning dishes. A cooked breakfast was expensive and labour-intensive. A bowl of cereal was cheap and quick: bowl, pour, milk, and you were away. No prep time, minimal washing-up. Nothing could be simpler, especially for busy parents.

It wasn’t long before the advertisements focused on children, promising them snaps, crackles and pops, animated tigers and various little grains coated in sugar. For grown-ups, there were notes about how they were ‘enriched’ with vitamins and minerals and fibre, as though a man could live on Cheerios alone. Know what doesn’t need enriching? A banana.

As nutritional science has advanced, it has confirmed what we cereal dodgers have always known: that it is nightmarish anti-food, a waste of time, money and calories. Today’s cutting-edge research suggests that, actually, giving a six-year-old a bowl of chocolate and marshmallows first thing in the morning does not necessarily set them up for a day of diligent study. The cereals that are ‘nice’ are invariably bulging with sugar. You feel good as you leave the house and then slump into a coma by 11am. The sugar-free cereals seem like punishment by comparison. It might go well with raspberries, but that’s because raspberries are nice.

For all Sweet Dreams talks about promoting sleep, it still contains 12-13g (per 59g serving) of added sugar, from cane sugar, corn syrup, and molasses. As an experiment, why not eat 13g of sugar before bedtime and see how helpful it is for your sleep patterns?

Cereal is not just cereal. With its scientific window-dressing, questionable marketing and spurious ‘healthy’ rebrand, the story of breakfast cereal is the story of many types of processed food. With the benefit of hindsight, the surprising thing is that the manufacturers got away with it for so long. The idea of bedtime cereal might stink, but it’s the smell of defeat.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-an...eakfast-cereal/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-23, 07:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I hope it's because they are desperate.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-23, 12:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Such a travesty. Since the 1950s, processed food containing copious amounts of sugar has been aggressively marketed. Then so-called convenience foods entered the fray, leaving behind what humanity once knew as whole foods. We need government to do the same thing it did for cigarettes and alcohol. Strategic campaigns that target these unwholesome products for their lack of nutritive value, their damage to the body and their impact on health outcomes. Billions of dollars were made on cigarettes and these companies fought the government tooth and nail. They finally capitulated to the need for warning labels. The same fight is ahead of us with the manufacturers of crap 'food'
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-23, 14:27

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekRibs
Such a travesty. Since the 1950s, processed food containing copious amounts of sugar has been aggressively marketed. Then so-called convenience foods entered the fray, leaving behind what humanity once knew as whole foods. We need government to do the same thing it did for cigarettes and alcohol. Strategic campaigns that target these unwholesome products for their lack of nutritive value, their damage to the body and their impact on health outcomes. Billions of dollars were made on cigarettes and these companies fought the government tooth and nail. They finally capitulated to the need for warning labels. The same fight is ahead of us with the manufacturers of crap 'food'

It there are no long-term studies comparing cereal eaters to non-cereal eaters. And if they tried, many of the non-cereal eaters would be eating pn=ancakes, waffles, Egg McMuffins, etc. Proving the cereals are harmful would be extremely difficult and the abundance of flour and sugar in other products would confuse the results.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-23, 15:33

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
It there are no long-term studies comparing cereal eaters to non-cereal eaters. And if they tried, many of the non-cereal eaters would be eating pn=ancakes, waffles, Egg McMuffins, etc. Proving the cereals are harmful would be extremely difficult and the abundance of flour and sugar in other products would confuse the results.

hee hee I think you're missing my point. I think a full on public health campaign against ALL of these products (cereal waffles egg McMuffins) needs to be undertaken. There's no reason it can't be done since previous campaigns against smoking and drinking have been successful.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-23, 18:52

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

My grandparents treated us to the individual serving size boxes of cereal. Sugar Pops. Sugar Smacks. Frosted Flakes.

I still miss Cap'n Crunch.

Fortunately, I never shop while hungry. So these never enter my house. My family doesn't eat cereal for breakfast.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-23, 19:54

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

When I was a kid, I loved the sweet cereals. Of course they weren't good for me.

Frosted Flakes, Sugar Pops, and others, and if they didn't come with sugar, I'd spoon it on.

Nobody told us it was unhealthy.

But that was decades ago. I have no desire for cereal anymore, and I don't even go down that aisle in the supermarket.

Bob
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-23, 22:15

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

We only got individual boxes of cereal when on vacation. Until Mom realized we only liked a few of them, so no more variety packs. I preferred Cheerios with milk and so much sugar that there were "sandbars" in the bowl.

But I haven't eaten cereal in ~45 years now, other than some steel cut oats in the early 1990s. On a variety of diets over the years, I've chosen dinner-like meals for all meals.

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Apr-13-23 at 22:21.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-23, 23:49

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
. On a variety of diets over the years, I've chosen dinner-like meals for all meals.

My children had cheerios, or oatmeal, as youngsters as I was gifted a book for early readers that used Cheerios to fill in dentitions. A total marketing ploy. But it did help my kids learn counting.

We quickly moved to serving leftover dinner for breakfast. Purposely making extra for the leftovers.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-23, 00:57

BF:

It was invented to destroy the human sex drive.

So there you are. PR campaign
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-23, 07:34

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
<...snip...>On a variety of diets over the years, I've chosen dinner-like meals for all meals.

I tried a few different diets many years ago, looking for something that worked for me. Then I found Atkins.

With Atkins, if I tried to move from induction to maintenance, I'd start gaining again, so I stuck with fewer than 20 carbs per day. Now they call it keto.

I know people who have succeeded with some of the diets that didn't work for me, and I'm sure there are those in which keto doesn't work.

If there was one universal diet that worked for everyone, there would only need to be one diet book.

The challenge is to find out what works for your system, and stick with it.

To get back on topic, I think most packaged cereals are unhealthy and should be avoided on all diets.

Even the aforementioned Cheerios, now has Corn Starch as the second ingredient and Sugar as the third.

No thank you. It doesn't work with my way of eating (diet).

Bob
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-23, 05:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Even the aforementioned Cheerios, now has Corn Starch as the second ingredient and Sugar as the third.

Bob

I've avoided the cereal aisle for so long I had no idea!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-23, 19:38

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Even if they did a study to show how this cereal promotes good sleep, that would support NOT feeding cereal to kids before they head to school to learn, and adults wanting to perform well at work.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-01-23, 03:00

BF:

The first sign that Atkins was working for me was how it swiftly eliminated that "nap after lunch" feeling that was so depressing.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-01-23, 05:13

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
The first sign that Atkins was working for me was how it swiftly eliminated that "nap after lunch" feeling that was so depressing.
That was the first t thing that I noticed when I started Atkins 20+ years ago.