Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-23, 01:49

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default How to increase your ‘healthspan’ by a decade

Quote:
How to increase your ‘healthspan’ by a decade

Dying a ‘slow’ death from a chronic condition is likely for many of us – but scientists now believe there's room for change

We’re an ageing society, that’s indisputable, but our later years are increasingly lived in ill health, plagued by the “four horsemen”: diabetes, cancer, heart disease and dementia. This is the terminology used by Dr Peter Attia, cancer surgeon-turned-longevity expert, whose message is that we need to focus on our healthspan – the number of years we live in good health – rather than just our lifespan, the number of years we’re alive.

And it’s a message which has been inspiring his many thousands of social media followers.

While Silicon Valley scientists are working in labs pursuing everlasting life, Dr Attia asks in his new book, Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity: “What’s the point of living longer if your life sucks? My patients insist they don’t want to linger on in a state of ever-declining health.”

The data backs him up. The King’s Fund reported last year that although a male in England could expect to live 79.4 years, his average healthy life expectancy was only 63.1 years – so he would have spent 16.3 of those years in “not good” health. For women, life expectancy is 83.1 years, of which 19.3 years would have been spent in “not good” health.

Last year the State of Ageing report from the Centre for Ageing Better showed that we are living an increasing number of years with a disability and that for the first time in many years, life expectancy was actually decreasing, mainly as a result of the Covid pandemic.

While most of us will live to somewhere in our 70s and 80s, we will most likely die a “slow” death from a chronic condition, writes Dr Attia, which began many years before. By the time modern medicine steps in with a diagnosis and treatment, it is usually too late. “The logical conclusion is that we need to step in sooner to stop the Horsemen in their tracks – or better yet, prevent them altogether,” writes Dr Attia.

Years of ill health are not inevitable, he argues, and modern medicine is not delivering when it comes to prevention. He cites our treatment for type 2 diabetes. “It begins long before someone crosses that magical diagnostic threshold on a blood test. Type 2 diabetes is merely the last stop on the line. Yet, too often, the point of clinical diagnosis is where our interventions begin. Why is this OK?”

Leading campaigner and physician Sir Muir Gray, 78, director of the optimal ageing programme at Oxford, agrees.

“The NHS is great for diagnosis, treatment and acute care. When I had a heart attack, they put a stent in. “And yet,” he says, “of all the doctors I’ve seen over the years and the many drugs I’ve been prescribed, I’ve had very few words about the importance of diet and exercise.

“People have to understand that ageing by itself doesn’t have to be a cause of major problems until our 90s; think of the Queen working two days before her death. Yes, we need a bit of luck to avoid diseases that we can’t prevent like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s, but there are many other factors, and a major one is loss of mental and physical fitness.”

To this end, Sir Muir does 12 minutes of exercise in the morning to build strength, stands on one leg while brushing his teeth for balance and coordination, and does 30 minutes of brisk walking daily.

He is also soon to launch what he calls a new health service, the GHS for people who are 60-plus, which will focus on helping people age well and learn from others with similar conditions. “My approach is PDSR – preventing, delaying, slowing down and reversing.”

Dr Richard Siow, director of ageing research at King’s College London, also sees the value of self-care: “when people think of healthcare they think of going to see a doctor, but I’m thinking about lifestyle interventions to maintain wellness. Not just taking care of our muscles and our heart and our brain, but also our psychological well-being, to reduce factors that quicken the onset of ageing conditions,” he says.

For Dr Attia, reducing our risks of chronic illness and increasing healthspan lies in five key pillars: exercise; “nutritional biochemistry” (ie what and how much we eat); sleep; emotional health; and drugs and supplements, where necessary.

This healthspan prescription will not be the same for everyone, as we all respond differently and have different needs. It’s also not enough to focus on just one element, we have to think of our health holistically as everything is connected. The message then is clear: ageing well is to a large degree, up to us and it’s never too late to start. Or as Dr Attia puts it: “You are no longer a passenger on this ship; you’re its captain.”

Ways to be healthier for longer

Build your own Centurian Decathlon

“Exercise has the greatest power to determine how you will live out the rest of your life. It delays the onset of chronic diseases, pretty much across the board, but it is also amazingly effective at extending and improving healthspan,” writes Dr Attia. To this end, he asks clients to list the 10 most important physical tasks they want to do for the rest of their lives.

These include activities like hiking, picking up a grandchild, carrying groceries, and lifting a suitcase into a plane.

Inevitably most people want to continue to do all 10 as they get older, but in order to do these things, it’s important to be specific about the exercise required, which will be a mix of cardiovascular fitness and, just as important, lifting and carrying to build strength as muscle mass declines.

The key point here is that doing one exercise, even if you do it to excess like Dr Attia did with cycling, is not going to deliver results and may lead to injury. And you need to be doing much more exercise than you think to protect against the inevitable decline. Dr Attia’s decathlon includes archery, hiking for an hour with a 20lb backpack (known as rucking), five pull-ups and swimming half a mile in 20 minutes.

Practise standing up from sitting on the floor and grip strength

“Strength is such an important part of ageing,” says Dr Attia. “If you look at the majority of people over the age of 75 and 80, you’ll be struck by how many activities they can’t do because they lack strength.”

Many people of a certain age can’t stand up from sitting on the floor because they don’t have the strength in their hip muscles. Yet studies have shown not being able to do this can predict a greater likelihood of mortality.

Similarly, if you’re struggling to open a jar, carry shopping or do up buttons you may need to work on your grip strength, which is strongly correlated with a risk of dementia. Dr Attia recommends simply walking carrying weights, or even better carrying them out in front of you, Penny Mordaunt, King’s Coronation-style. “Being able to carry heavy things is a very important skill as we age, and speaks to lots of abilities: fitness, grip strength, stability,” he says.

Sir Muir Grey advises aiming for a plank for the same number of seconds as your age.

Strive to be healthy at work

We spend most of our time at work, and as the population ages and we retire later more of us are working later in life. Dr Richard Siow of KCL says it becomes even more important that our workplace is not contributing to physical and emotional stress. “If you’re sitting in front of a computer for long hours, take regular breaks to avoid back pain. Choose healthy food from the canteen, walk outdoors in your lunch hour, find strategies to manage workplace stress, and consider a four-day week,” he says.

Work out what diet is best for you

Although Dr Attia has talked about favouring the keto diet for himself in his book, he does not recommend one particular diet. Yet clearly, most of us are eating too much of the wrong thing and the modern 24/7 availability of food makes it hard to stick to a regime.

“For a majority of patients, the goal is to reduce energy intake while adding lean mass. This means we need to find ways to get them to consume fewer calories, while also increasing their protein intake, and pair this with proper exercise,” he says.

Some people achieve this by cutting carbs, fasting, or calorie counting; the key message here is to monitor your weight closely, measure your fat and muscle mass and take action.

Take good care of your emotional and brain health

“Emotional health may represent the most important component of healthspan,” says Dr Attia. “Nothing else about longevity is worth much without some degree of happiness, fulfilment, and connection to others.” It is also closely linked to our physical health and mortality. Dr Attia cites dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT), a type of talking, or cognitive behavioural, therapy as a technique that helped him.

Dr Siow points out that: “If we’re depressed we’re not going to be exercising or eating well. We will not be financially productive and it could be downhill from there.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-...an-by-a-decade/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-23, 03:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanks, Demi. I put some other podcasts and book reviews in the low carb book thread, https://forum.lowcarber.org/showpos...6&postcount=305. There have been more articles, podcasts and reviews since publication.

If you like Peter Attia, you would likely get more usable information from his podcast. This book (luckily borrowed from my library) is a long, unfocused rambling, ego trip for Peter.

One surprise was how while catering to the ultra-rich, ultra fit and healthy, (and it helps to start his protocols and laundry list of expensive tests while still under 50) he embraces having very low cholesterol numbers, using statins, metformin and an array of pharmaceuticals.

He did use a keto diet and extended fasting in the past but lost muscle mass and doesn’t support them now except for certain medical conditions. He has discontinued keto and fasting himself…even this author lost the thread.
https://youtu.be/-GwSfIUvCJ0https://youtu.be/Tb6gMegtLcg

If you search his name on YouTube, there are many short videos that do a better job than the book because they do not include long stories of Peter racing his BMW, Peter swimming to Catalina, talks with his therapist. If you don’t look like his friends and patients, e.g. Hugh Jackman, you're probably going to die.

Example:
Quote:
The key point here is that doing one exercise, even if you do it to excess like Dr Attia did with cycling, is not going to deliver results and may lead to injury. And you need to be doing much more exercise than you think to protect against the inevitable decline. Dr Attia’s decathlon includes archery, hiking for an hour with a 20lb backpack (known as rucking), five pull-ups and swimming half a mile in 20 minutes.

Seriously? I’ve never done any of those things in my 72 years..might as well plan to die right now.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-23, 05:54

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Seriously? I’ve never done any of those things in my 72 years..might as well plan to die right now.

I used to listen to Peter Attic's Podcasts but not for very long. It became clear to me that I was not part of his audience demographic. He got much too much into the scientific weeds and the exercises he advocated at best were inappropriate for me. Certainly he doesn't address people who are already "old" or not about to engage in exercise with the intensity he seems to recommend.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-23, 07:40

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Jean, I can understand your view. Its tough exercises. However, I see him as inspiration to do more than I currently do. 😁 For example, instead of driving to mailbox this week, I walked. Its a long walk. Took about 15 minutes , picking up sticks along the way. Its been a long time since walking the driveway has been easy. The extra exercise, gardening and working around farm, is paying off. ( I can throw blankets on horses again,too. )

Quote:
Build your own Centurian Decathlon

“Exercise has the greatest power to determine how you will live out the rest of your life. It delays the onset of chronic diseases, pretty much across the board, but it is also amazingly effective at extending and improving healthspan,” writes Dr Attia. To this end, he asks clients to list the 10 most important physical tasks they want to do for the rest of their lives.

Imho, its not exercise that gets the ball rolling.....its eating the right foods. Like eating to get into ketosis. THEN there is the interest and energy to get off the couch.

Im all for increasing strength and flexibility and build muscle. I marvel at 90 year old exercise instructors. They are my heros. Because they prove its possible to be remarkably strong and live independently. My grandfather was another marvel.....carrying in his new TV in his mid 90's. My mother still gardens and she is 88 soon to be 89.

On the other hand the disappointment in my MIL's physical ability is troubling. She has become feeble. She sat the whole time while visiting on Memorial Day. She could have stood up and mixed up a boxed brownie for the teens. No, she sat, talked and snacked. My mother who is older would have been hands on and buzzing around like a bee. MIL ate hermits, not the fresh strawberries in front of her,too. We chatted and i probed about is she eating ok. She tried delivered food, the meals kind. She didnt like cutting up veggies, etc. She doesn't cook. I was left wondering what she eats. My mother cooks. Usually once a day. A nice meal. Real, whole food.

Food fuels our get up and go.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-23, 08:23

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
If you like Peter Attia, you would likely get more usable information from his podcast. This book (luckily borrowed from my library) is a long, unfocused rambling, ego trip for Peter.

One surprise was how while catering to the ultra-rich, ultra fit and healthy, (and it helps to start his protocols and laundry list of expensive tests while still under 50) he embraces having very low cholesterol numbers, using statins, metformin and an array of pharmaceuticals.

My feelings exactly on Attia. Not sure even he is aware of the changes he's undergone since his TED Talk 10 years ago:
https://www.ted.com/talks/peter_att..._bigger_problem

I occasionally listen to his podcasts today, and you're right, the short ones typically have a more focused message. His obsession today with healthspan, while hardly unique as many others are researching this, I'm left with the impression that this guy has unbridled hubris driving his obsession to "discover" the fountain of youth. It's a very lucrative pursuit, as his confidence attracts those who can afford anything in attempting to live longer, healthier lives. For the everyday person who would like to improve their health and quality of life, he's moved on and much of his stuff doesn't apply. When he chastised many conventions in his TED talk 10 years ago such as pharma and standards of care, he's in bed with them now prescribing medications to lower cholesterol thinking that this contributes to longer lives. I'm baffled, and have taken him out of my rotation of people from whom I benefit. His current messaging no longer applies to people like me and his lack of humility (thinking he's the smartest in the room) makes him insufferable. How different this is from the focused message in his original TED Talk . . .
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-02-23, 18:41

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I find his tone of voice arrogantly off-putting too, though I watched the video. Half of the exercises are exactly what not to do with a bad, old knee, though it did inspire me to get out my 6" step, wobble board & proper knee-rehab exercise notes that worked well for me after my ACL reconstruction 20 yrs ago. Consciously loading and unloading your weight on your feet with each step is a good plan, but using momentum rather than your muscles to move is not the optimal way to maintain or increase your muscle strength. Now I have to find my Fred Hahn's SlowBurn book.

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Jun-02-23 at 22:14.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-02-23, 19:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Certainly he doesn't address people who are already "old" or not about to engage in exercise with the intensity he seems to recommend.

This reminds me of the early days. Of carnivore when I would lurk around forums trying to pick up information, but since they were dominated by young males talking about their CrossFit weekends, I just couldn't apply much to my situation.