Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 17:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 134/134/120 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Fustraited

I am so fustraited at this point. I have cut out dairy, veggies, fruit, all carbs period, juices, sugars, and eat just meat and now i had to cut out eggs and soy too..... adn im still sick.. i would do better then the candida would get stornger and im still sick. i think its cuz i have to eat the same thing everyday. my doc isan allergist and enviormental doc. and he is waiting on doing a few more allergy tests at the end of the month but i am getting so fustraietd by the rapied weight gain , sweeleling, massive fatigue, and nausia, and belly pain.... I dont wana jsut complian but i wanted to know if anyone has a suggestion knows of nay really good docs. i live in lansing but ifyou know of any period let me know... i am just ogin gout of my mind w/ this i dont wnaa be one of thepoepl coming her ten years later w/ the same probs... if i am doing hte diet and taking diflucan adn taking probiotics why arnt i getting better?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 17:41

Plan: none
Stats: 105/105/120 Female 5ft2inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

You probably have some damage to your intestinal lining or leaky gut. It seems like you're allergic to everything because your body cant digest anything properly so you become very sensitive. You will have to figure out whats causing the damage. It could be any number of things.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 18:31

BF:

I probably didn't help much with that last post. Do you get reactions from everything you eat? This is what happened to me while on the candida diet. I was down to only a few vegetables, chicken, beef, and some fish...but I was sometimes reacting to these foods too. I was afraid to eat. I already said that I found out I had gluten intolerance that was causing damage to my small intestine. I wasnt really "allergic" to all these foods. I took food sensitivity tests and allergy tests awhile back...I figured they'd come back positive for pretty much everything. Instead they came up negative for everything and I cried cuz I didn't understand what was going on. Now that I'm learning whats really going on in my body I have a better understanding. The reactions I get from eating are due to my food not being properly absorbed and the gut not being healthy. If I stay away from gluten after a couple weeks I will start getting better..I'll feel like I'm getting nutrients again..skin and hair look better...I have more energy etc. I can also eat lots of foods without any bad reactions. I do still get bloating sometimes because its going to take months to heal. If I mess up and get one speck of gluten into my system it causes damage again...since I'm nowhere near healed yet its like I'm back at square one and then I start reacting to EVERYTHING all over again. Not just food but chemicals too. You get what I'm saying? When the gut is not healthy or something is harming it you will get symptoms. Most of the foods you react to are just sensitivities that will go away if you start to heal but some foods can cause real damage if you continue to eat them. Top 2 are gluten and caisen (in dairy)...if the immune system is reacting to these protein molecules you will not have a healthy gut, the immune system will be weakened, bacteria problems can occur (candida) etc. Its like a chain reaction. When the intestinal lining is damaged from any cause some of the enzymes needed for digestion may not be present. This is one of the reasons we get reactions, bloating, pain...etc. There are lots of things that can mess up your intestines not just gluten and not just candida. I'm going to assume since you're trying so hard and doing everything right but still suffering you probably are trying to cure the wrong thing. I don't think Candida is "getting stronger" and coming back to get you. I took all the natural antifungals, plus Nystatin and Diflucin..never cheated on the diet, did enemas and cleanses and all that. I shoulda been getting better if it really were candida. I believe people with "only" a candida problem will get better quickly with diet and meds. The people who come back 10 years later still having candida just havent found out whats really wrong.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 04:51
Registered Member

Stats: -/-/- Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress:

Carebear20, i have a problem with what your eating big time..
Who told you to cut everything from your diet except meat, your body will not be able to function on protein alone??
You have to have a mixed supply of foods inside your body to enable it to fight of any desease, even a cold, exactly what the hell are you eating in a day??
Honey, i think this desease has really gotten to you emotionally and your doctor is not helping, you need to see a nutritionist.
By cutting out veggies, for which i can not really see a reason as i've never heard of people allergic to vegetables, your losing all of your vitamins and minerals that your body needs to survive.
Who told you you are allergic to all these things??
Who told you to cut out all these things??
If you don't get a mixture of vits inside you you are going to feel and get worse..
Please post back with your symptoms that started you off on this course of action.. and tell me what you eat everyday..
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 09:24
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

blOODSTONE i normally eat like turkey sausage, steak, hamburger, or turkey over the course of the day. I was eating broccoli but my doc said maybe htat was bothering me so i cut that out. He also just got done running a Food reactors test (of some kind , drawn through the blood) and found i react to cows milk (which i already knew adn cut out while back), and to soybean, and eggs. so i had to stop eating eggs and all my soy products. That ws about two weeks ago but i am still not getting better. The symtoms i have are pretty miuch all the candida wones.. i have extreme swelling over my whole body up to 12 pounds over night that can stay on for weeks or moreand go odff in a day sometimes.. irght now i weigh 140 pounds and b4 all this i weighed 115. and im only about 5'3 and i do pilates and elliptical everyday. I just get trapped gas in there which cassues abdominal sweeling, extreme fatigue, headaches off and on, tummy pains, sensitivity to heat and cold, acne when its real bad, spacieness, nausia, recurrent vaginal and bacterial infections...painful intoercourse to the extreme(srry u prob didnt wana know that), and the list goes on adn on and on... it all started prob in 8th grade i got ibs diaria predominant due to i htink stress 9well stress triggered it) and they treated that w/ lots of meds. then i was put on birth control cuz they found out i have endometreosis.. this all in the same year. then about a year and half later the ibs went away for the mot part and my weight started to come back cuz i had lost about 20 pounds then. Then i started hacing probs w/ my weight and w/ starchy foods. so i started running again heavilly which onl helped a lil i actaluyy injured my knee trying to workout so hard to battle the bloat..so i gradually jsut ate less and less cuz i couldnt run. i wasnt anerexic but i ate samall meals and limited fatty foods and sugars ect... then i started dating this guy anf i ate over at his house a lot wso i ate more of the foods i didnt eat b4 i dunno if that triggered anything ... then the summer of my sneior year i got a job at a restarnt and again cheated more on the diet i was on cuz it was hard to eat heathy stuff there (it was a buffet) and i was saslo working crazy hours so id eat dinner at like 2 am... i quit that job at the end of the summer but still was very overweight and sick. So i dieted i think too hard my senior year and got myslef better but ended up not being able to stick to the crazy unhealthy aomunt of food. like a yogurt for breakfast, hald sandwich for lunch and eggwites for dinner. While working out ...then things really got worse...constiptation started blablah saw lots of MD docs they put me on more meds....you get the pic so after a year of that crap i finally had it i got so sick i went to mayo even they jsut told me i had ibs and to deal w/ it.... so i starrted eating just more variety again....got worse then better... ate loike whole wheat cherrios, snadwiches, meats still but friut also and spagetti.....but then i started getting sick again this last winter sinus infection and bronchitus for 2 mothns so i was on lots of meds again...sympotoms got worse.. ect.... this isnt making a lot of sense srry...anyhow i was talking to my b/f last ngiht and iwas ljust liek i feel like this candida diet is making me owrse not better. it was making me better for a while tho.. when i fisrt started it i got better in like 3 days.... but then i got worse again... and im sticking to it and im on diflucan...and probitics. i just got another colonic done yuesterday cuz im so constipated...my doctor who is an eviromental med is running more allergy tests at the end of the month so everyone is tellign me to wait till then but im fustraited.. if i ahve candida why arnt i getting better, and if i am allergic to soy and eggs why didnt i feel sick when i ate them? yes now i am at the point i feel sick no matter what i eat. i think its cuz my diet is so limited athat i am getting allergic to everthing.......im about to say screw it to the candida thing... im so annoyed.. im still on b/c jsut so you know i asked my doc about it but he said it wouldnt hurt the candida which really confuses me. and this guy is supp to be the best doc in my area for htis.. he supposily suffered from it himslef......im just annoyed.. i want my life back. im dating a wonderful guy for 3 years now who has stuck by me and i hate putting him through this im only 20 i should be out having the time of my life not this......i am open to any suggestions you guys have....im desperate... i dont htink im emoptionally depresed yet i am jsut very impatient at htis point. and i dont trust docs to always knwo what they are doing for obvious freasons.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 09:26

BF:

I agree Carebear...you need to be eating more than just meat. I think you are just scared. I was the same way. I'm feeling better now that I'm eating fruits and carbs. Are you worried about gaining weight? At first when I would try to eat an apple...I would get immediate symptoms. I would freak out and think I had fed the yeast. Same with other foods I tried to eat. I thought I was either "allergic" to everything or I was feeding the yeast or both. I was cutting out more and more foods...this wasnt healthy at all. When your intestines are irritated for whatever reason you will get an uncomfortable response when eating food. Apples are a little acidic so I was getting a reaction because it was kind of like squeezing lemon juice onto an open wound. As I stay away from the foods that cause the irritation in the first place I'm now able to eat fruits with no problem...I can even eat potatos, pasta, cookies...a whole variety of foods. I have to go slow though because my body still needs help digesting everything. I think you are too worried about the yeast and you are causing your body more harm than good. I'm curious about what you are eating too. Can you please let us know.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 10:16

BF:

What kind of doctor is it that your seeing? I think you might want to consider finding a better doctor at this point. Have you seen a GI doctor yet about your symptoms? Don't let them get off with diagnosing you with IBS..make them run some tests. I've found I have to be firm with my docs or they just dont do anything. IBS is just a bogus diagnosis in my opinion. What have you been tested for so far?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 14:30
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Sunshines right carebear, your scared of what's happening to you, or rather the fact that your not improving, i don't think you can see a better day right now, but cutting out veggies and anything that is actually good for your body isn't going to help you get better.
It sounds like you have been starving your body of all the good foods it needs to heal, you say your not anorexic, but your body is feeling like you are because your not allowing it the food it needs.
I'm not a doctor and you need to see a real m.d and talk to a proper nutritionist about your eating and what this other doctor has told you.
With the swelling on your body, as i understand it, it's probably a collection of water where your body doesn't have enough nutrients to deal with the water and get rid of it in the normal way, now if your water isn't getting into your bowel your going to get backed up, there's not a lot there to keep it going, no veggies, no water.
Blocked up bowels equal brain fog, pain, all the bad symptoms your feeling right now, and even the painful sex, if your body isn't using it's water in the right way and your bowels are overloaded i'd say it's going to hurt, nothing will work right until you get some decent nutrition inside you.
But i think you need to see a nutritionist to work out a plan of action around your allergies to food, your going to need to start with small amounts of food that your bowel can handle and they can help you sort that out, once you have a good input of the different foods you can eat your body will start to calm down and handle the everyday stuff it needs to.
Then you shouldn't get backed up, you shouldn't swell etc, i think at this point the candida is really the last thing you need to worry about, if your body isn't healthy enough to fight this desease it won't.
Honey, whether you've meant to be or not, your body is telling you, your anorexic, because your denying it the basic foods it needs to function properly.
Sunshines right, don't be afraid to go to your doctor and tell him exactly what you've been doing and what you've been told and that you need help, especially nutritional help, how understanding is your guy?? will he go with you for moral support, or a girlfriend, maybe a family member, you need to tell someone about this that you trust and ask them to help you...
Don't you guy's have a guidance councillor, are they any good???
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-05, 15:01
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

NO we dont have guidance counslers at my community college. Anyway i agree withyou guys about hte veggies swhich is why i am slowly bring some back in and also wating some granny smilth apples (one a day) and bought these organic fiber bars today.... its hard to know whats right to eat and right now my doc is waiting on some more allergy test b4 he does anything else. I already talk ed to my b/f and familya bout it and htey think i should wait till then and see hwat he does if he doesnt offer any more help get a second opinion. right now im tryng to see if i can even find a hollistic doctor out here. The doc i am seeing right now is an envirmental medicine doc. he was an md then switched over to this which is allerigies and candida ect.. because he himslef got candida about 10 years ago. Yes i ahve seen GI docs since 8th grade they said i had camdida back in 8th grade then they said i had it my sneior year (only my suymponms were way diff) and i didnt really buy that it was ibs or if it was it was all that because of the wide array of symotoms. anyhwo i saw this guy ad he said its canddia .....i think ibs is just a resuilt of candida personlly i think it is just like CFS, depression aeveryother disease that docs make up to sell us drugs.....i dunno irght now i have a bacteria infeciton down there so im eating some grapefruit hopefully will hlep....i know thats why it hutrs when i have sex is cuz i keep getting infections normlaly its yeast tho.. becasue ill treat it it will go awayy and hten it wont hurt as bad and then illg et anohter one. i have had problems with yeast infections my whole life. anyhow thanks for the suggestions.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-05, 18:26

BF:

Sorry to hear you've been having yeast infections for so long. I've only had 3 in my life but I know how badly they suck. Since I've been sick the last 3 years I never got a yeast infection but I did have a very thick white fuzzy tongue the whole time. I feel bad for you cuz you should be enjoying these years of your life..not dealing with this. I'm concerned you are putting too much faith in this doctor who hasn't helped you to get better. My doctor who is also in that type of medicine is very nice and has listened to me more than any of my coventional doctors ever did. The thing is she told me I had systemic candida and was helping me through it. If I kept listening to her I'd still be sick. I would never say anything bad about her but doctors who treat candida just sometimes think that thats what it is...even without proof. When I took my tests for Candida I was scared about what would happen if the tests came back negative...I wanted them to be positive at first cuz then I'd have a diagnosis. She told me if the tests were negative we would still "assume" I have systemic candida and treat it more aggressively. These doctors shouldn't be ASSUMING anything...there could be something more serious going on and in my case there was. Chronic yeast infections are common if there is something else going on. I have Celiac Disease...many of the other people who have celiac disease had yeast infections for years until they got diagnosed. My white tongue is gone now after 3 years of having it and all I had to do was stop eating gluten instead of taking tons of antifungals and starving myself everyday. There are MANY possibilities of why you keep getting these yeast infections but the yeast will keep growing if you don't find out why. The types of doctors you're seeing won't help you if you truelly have an undiagnosed medical condition. I've never heard of a GI doctor diagnosing candida...most don't even believe in it. Hasn't anybody ever ran any tests besides allergy?? The doctors suck...I had to do my own research and request the tests I wanted...remember YOU are in charge of your health...NOT THEM. I just kept getting tests done until I finally came back positive for Celiac....it took 3 looong years of feeling crappy but it could've been alot worse if I had listened to everyone else. Don't give up...you're young...do your own research...keep a food journal....write down how you feel everyday and what you ate...pay attention to your body. These things will help you even if some days it feels hopeless.
Good luck
-Rachel
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 08:12
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Sunshine i think your misreadingmy posts.. i saw a gi doc seperatley since 8th grade had test done every year from colonoscopy, endoscopy, carium x rays, unltra sounds.....on and on they told me it was ibs and it was all in my head and htat i was obv not sticking to the diet ect ect they were all assholes.. i saw tons of them .... my ENVIROMENTAL DOC diagnosed me w/ candida cuz my rteg doc sent me over to him.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 08:12
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

im also pretty sure i have had a gluten intolerance test done...like 99 percent sure i know i had one about 6months ago done in mayo
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 08:49

BF:

OK...I was just curious if they ran any of those tests. I agree that the doctors are assholes...for sure. Just last month when I was waiting for my candida and celiac tests to get back I saw an infectiuous disease doctor. I wanted them to test me for Lyme disease...just to rule it out. This guy was laughing at me...ridiculing me (especially after I mentioned candida). He told me that NONE of my tests were ever going to come back positive for anything because I was just *looking* for something to be wrong...when there isn't. When I asked him why I felt so much better after only changing my diet he said it was the placebo effect...it was nothing...it was all in my head. I'm now in the process of filing a complaint about that guy cuz there WAS something wrong and he was just an idiot. Funny thing is EVERY test that my HMO ran on me came back normal every time for 3 whole years. Even the test for Celiac they gave me was normal. Even the tests for malabsorption were normal even though it was OBVIOUS just looking at me that I was wasting away. HELLO...the doctors were oblivious cuz all they cared about were the test results. I cried to my doctor telling him that I felt I was dying...he shrugged and said "I'm not too worried about it...your tests are normal...you're not gonna die or anything....just go home and eat and go see the psychiatrist." I stll have no idea why all the tests they ran came back normal even though I was 94 lbs. and couldn't even function. Thats why I paid with my own money to get tests done at a lab that specializes in Gluten Intolerance. Funny how THOSE tests came back positive for *everything* including severe malabsorption. Now I've already gained 10 lbs. back. The doctors at my HMO suck and apparantly so do the labs they use.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 13:11
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Okay guys get this one, how's this for an underlying medical condition.
I have just been diagnosed with hypermobility, i have long fingers, like aguy, even though i'm short, and can open them exceptionally far, ie; i have no problem holding nail varnish between the inside of my fingers!!, not normal aparantly. My limbs are exceptionally mobile, ie; could have been a dancer!
My joints click, etc, aparantly it's genetic, in a lot of people it doesn't cause much of a problem, but in some it cause a deficiency in certain vitamins, including magnesium etc, and causes food allergies, joint pain, sensativity to enviroment etc, etc, etc. Ie; sensativity to gluten, yeast, milk and dairy, alcohol, medicines, yeast infections, so on and so on.
So the reason for my candida is not candida, it's hypermobility and mineral deficiency....
Carebear, you really need to concentrate on your general health, not the candida, it is a side effect. The only one that can help you with that is a regular doctor and YOU. Sunshines right, you need to start eating right, keep a food diary, see what's bugging your body and what's not, you can then keep away from those foods until you figure out the bigger health issue.
Has your boyfriend been treated for yeast infection, because you two could be passing it back to each other?? Just a thought...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 13:56

BF:

Wow Bloodstone! How did you find out about that? Thats another one I've never heard of! I think its these genetic and autoimmune diseases that go undiagnosed for so long..that cause alot of yeast problems for us. What is the treatment for it....can you get rid of all the sensitivities? So maybe you'll get to eat McDonalds after all? If so...have a Big Mac for me someday.
I'm glad you got a diagnosis!