Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 08:08
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%
Default So true!!

From everything I've read, you have it starve it and rebuild your beneficial bacteria. And unfortunately the other medical conditions you mentioned could be being caused by the candida!

To beat it, got to take away it's food and create an environment it can't live in. It feeds on sugars so any thing that metabolizes into a sugar has to be eliminated or extremely reduced. Then you need to take some kind of antifungal (homeopathic or prescribed) to start killing it off (I'll mention die-off in a minute)and a probiotic to build up the beneficial bacteria that are gone or that it has damaged. Also recommended are ammino acid supplements (L-Glutamine is the once I see the most) to rebuild the damage done to the intestinal walls.
Quote:
shift my body from acidic to alkaline
I found a list of foods seperated into these catagories. An alkaline environment is oxygen rich. Fungus can't live in it. There are Ph strips out there so you can test your body's Ph level. If it's too low, it's acidic and good for the candida.food list There is a lot of information at this site about intestimal health. After all no one stops to think that the small intestine is our engine!! All of our nutrient adsorption takes place there. Damage it and you don't get your fuel and it can get weak and leak toxins that the blood stream picks up and carries EVERYWHERE!!!

When they start to die off, toxins are released (they are dying after all) and what ever symptoms you had because of it (everyone's different) intensify. Kill off too many at once and you can become extremely ill. So don't do too much at first.

Read a lot, make a plan and stick with it!! I think maybe the emotional connection may be that when one becomes depressed one reaches for comfort food which tends to be high in carbs because of the chemical hi sugar causes in our brains. It feeds the candida and it want's more, so we crave more to feed it. Sounds like drugs, doesn't it. I know the only time now I crave sweats is after I've taken my antifungal and I feel a little bad (then I know it's working). It's the dying little buggers screaming for food!! Be damned if I'm gonna feed 'em anymore!!!

Good luck on your new journey and keep us posted!!!

Liz
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 11:03

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Hi, all! Liz, as usual you are chock full of good information!! Yes, I am reading a few books this weekend, and both books state that it is the toxins given off by the yeast that causes most of the symptoms. There are too many to list here.

I have never really been an emotional eater. I could never figure out why I wanted sugar so much, until I discovered the whole candida issue. Now I know why I ate what I ate. Leigh, this is so important to remember. You are not weak because you want sugar, the yeast is crying out for it, and if you are as loaded with it as it sounds like you are, your cravings will be very strong indeed. Couple that with depression, and staying away from sugar becomes a pretty tough battle. It will get easier as you kill off more and more yeast.

I think the candida causes the emotional issues. Feeling sick with no explanation causes alot of stress. Stress just feeds the candida, the problem is a vicious cycle. Beat the candida first. The rest will fall into place. I used to get extremely irritable, weepy, etc, but am finding that I am feeling better emotionally every day. Part of this, I am sure, is the empowerment I am feeling over my own body. I used to feel my body was out of control, now I know I am in control of my body. I can fix these issues, and I am on my way. I hope I can inspire others out there to do the same.

Take care, everyone, and let's get better!!!

-Jess
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 11:38
Plemorphist

The sugar and carbos caused me to have HORRIBLE!!!!! Anxeity and depression. I still have little bouts with it, but not the constant state I was in before. It is hard at first, but, form a plan!!! It's much easier to follow some guidelines than to just wing it.

Liz
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 11:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 298/265/145
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Gratitude & Thanks!

Bless You Liz & Jess! You are both angels!

I've copied & pasted some of your info, & some from Doreen's sticky link (the health web article), into a printout to take to my doctor appointment today. I hope she'll have time to consider (if not, I'll leave a copy with her to review later.)

The appointment is to clear any allergy or sensitivity to candida (if I completed Wednesday's mixed yeast/yogurt/whey treatment.) I'm hoping & praying this will give me the jump-start and help I need. Then I can do "follow-up"....

Because of budget, I need to figure out which supp's are going to be right/most important for me. So I've listed those possibilities at the top of my printout (using info gleaned from all these threads!)

Thanks for the encouragement and good wishes.

P.S. The itching is still intense, but the good news is my mood has been better, last night & this morning.

I AM READY TO CHANGE & HEAL!!!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 20:48

Hi, Leigh! Glad to hear you are finding help on this forum, I know I sure did!!! I am ready to heal, too! Isn't it great to be on the right track, finally? I felt horrible for so many years, I feel like I wasted so much time being sick. But not any more, I am going to be healthy, even if it kills me!!

So good to know there are others here with the same issues, we are all in this together, and I know we are going to succeed. Ya know, getting started on low carb is hard enough, but combine it with the issues we face makes it even harder. So I think we should all be proud of ourselves for sticking with it, finding answers, and taking charge of our own healthcare! We are awesome!!!

A big hug to all of you!!!

-Jess
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 03:02

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Going 'alkaline' does help. FYI for when you test: Ideal readings for saliva should be 7.4 and for urine 6.6.

Sodium chlorite (yes 'ite'...not 'ide') added to drinks helps to bring pH back into line. (Always put it into a drink. 1 drop per 2 oz.--never take it 'straight') I put it in everything I drink. Also if you can't find sodium chlorite, then chlorine dioxide will also work as it becomes sodium chlorite when in the presence of H2O. For those who are interested, both chemicals are used by some municipal water systems as a bactericide. They both produce a mild chlorine-like taste/smell.
I've also read that potassium bicarbonate is a safe way to bring down the pH, but I've not tried it.

Last edited by kjturner : Wed, Mar-12-03 at 03:06.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 12:09
Plemorphist

I've been trying to eat as alkaline as possible, and I've noticed a difference. I've had a die off going for 4 days now. Feel a little better each day, but throat's still sore and my eyes burn so I know it's still going on. The muscle pain is diminishing, but my shoulders and neck are still really tight. Even my chiro noticed it! Weird to be glad I don't feel good. 4 days ago was horrible! Haven't been an uber b**ch like that since I gave up sugar!!! Didn't care for that feeling at all.

Keep up the good work everyone!!

Liz
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 15:00

Hi all! Can you post a list of alkaline foods. I just don't have time to research it on my own.

Thanks everyone!!

-Denise
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 17:02
Plemorphist

I posted a list further up the thread but here it is again for you

food list

Happy eating!!

Liz
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 20:50

THanks,Liz for the link to the very informative website. I found this very interesting. It is funny how the site talks alot about Spirulina. I have a shake mix in the house that contains spirulina, and everytime I drink one, I always feel good. Now I guess I know why.

I am going to add these alkaline foods right away. Thanks again, you are the new official research queen!

-Jess