Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 19:49
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

My take. And this is just my opinion and garnered from my reading and experience.

The symptom of toxicity is made on the diagnosis of 25[OH]D levels >150 ng/mL (>375 nmol/L) AND hypercalcemia. All the dire symptoms are caused by the hypercalcemia.

Now this is my theory. I believe that hypercalcemia from high or prolonged intake of vitamin D is actually caused by too little calcium and/or calcium and D taken without sufficient magnesium. IMHO, taking vitamin D without sufficient calcium, however little is required, disrupts calcium homostatis. Vitamin D and magnesium regulate calcium uptake but calcium needs to be part of the equation. If calcium is not there, calcium is pulled from the body/bones and causes hypercalcemia.

IMO, Vitamin D/magnesium taken with sufficient calcium does not cause hypercalcemia at even higher than optimal 25[OH]D levels.

My experience: As you know I have been taking high dose vitamin D for months at a time for years.

I have had 1 bout of hypercalcemia. At the time I hadn't been taking calcium with it.

When my alarmed doctor called me to give me the news, he ordered another test of both my 25[OH]D and my calcium.

At that point I realized I hadn't been taking the calcium and so started taking it consistently along with the vitamin D. I went in for the followup tests two weeks later. The vitamin D levels were about the same >200 ng/mL but the hypercalcemia was now gone. My calcium was at normal level.

My 25[OH] levels are now usually >100 ng/ML, and often >200 ng/mLmy latest test was 332.0 ng/mL with no hypercalcemia.

It find it interesting that the guage for toxicity has been dropped from >200 ng/mL to >150 ng/mL.
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 05:05

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla

Hmm, no info on exactly what kind it was apart from "prescription" - which I think is usually something called Calcitrol, from my reading on pubmed, and "megavitamin". I know of somebody in the UK who got prescribed vitamin D2 when she was diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency, so who knows???

There is nothing on this page about Vitamin D3 being the baddie, that's for sure!

Oh, and by the way, thanks for posting the link!

amanda
  #183   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 05:08

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hey Zule!

Thanks for posting your experiences! I must say I tend to agree with you about the need for taking magnesium with your vitamin D3, although I am not so sure about calcium supplements...

amanda
  #184   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 07:36

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
My take. And this is just my opinion and garnered from my reading and experience.

The symptom of toxicity is made on the diagnosis of 25[OH]D levels >150 ng/mL (>375 nmol/L) AND hypercalcemia. All the dire symptoms are caused by the hypercalcemia.

Now this is my theory. I believe that hypercalcemia from high or prolonged intake of vitamin D is actually caused by too little calcium and/or calcium and D taken without sufficient magnesium. IMHO, taking vitamin D without sufficient calcium, however little is required, disrupts calcium homostatis. Vitamin D and magnesium regulate calcium uptake but calcium needs to be part of the equation. If calcium is not there, calcium is pulled from the body/bones and causes hypercalcemia.

IMO, Vitamin D/magnesium taken with sufficient calcium does not cause hypercalcemia at even higher than optimal 25[OH]D levels.

My experience: As you know I have been taking high dose vitamin D for months at a time for years.

I have had 1 bout of hypercalcemia. At the time I hadn't been taking calcium with it.

When my alarmed doctor called me to give me the news, he ordered another test of both my 25[OH]D and my calcium.

At that point I realized I hadn't been taking the calcium and so started taking it consistently along with the vitamin D. I went in for the followup tests two weeks later. The vitamin D levels were about the same >200 ng/mL but the hypercalcemia was now gone. My calcium was at normal level.

My 25[OH] levels are now usually >100 ng/ML, and often >200 ng/mLmy latest test was 332.0 ng/mL with no hypercalcemia.

It find it interesting that the guage for toxicity has been dropped from >200 ng/mL to >150 ng/mL.

Excellent experience. This is the only way to find answers, is through tru experience. Zuleika, even a doctor would have to admit that you have shared some vital information here. Thanks

What are symptoms of hypercalcemia if any?
  #185   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 10:05
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Excellent experience. This is the only way to find answers, is through tru experience. Zuleika, even a doctor would have to admit that you have shared some vital information here. Thanks

What are symptoms of hypercalcemia if any?

...Symptoms and Diagnosis

The main symptoms result from hypercalcemia. Anorexia, nausea, and vomiting can develop, often followed by polyuria, polydipsia, weakness, nervousness, pruritus, and eventually renal failure. Proteinuria, urinary casts, azotemia, and metastatic calcifications (particularly in the kidneys) can develop.

A history of excessive vitamin D intake may be the only clue differentiating vitamin D toxicity from other causes of hypercalcemia. Elevated serum Ca levels of 12 to 16 mg/dL (3 to 4 mmol/L) are a constant finding when toxic symptoms occur. Serum 25(OH)D levels are usually elevated >150 ng/mL (>375 nmol/L). Levels of 1,25(OH)2D, which need not be measured to confirm the diagnosis, may be normal.

Serum Ca should be measured often (weekly at first, then monthly) in all patients receiving large doses of vitamin D, particularly the potent 1,25(OH)2D...

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec01/ch004/ch004k.html
  #186   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 13:13

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Thanks Zuleikaa. I think I am OK.
  #187   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 18:52

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default I'm deficient in 'P' words.

Quote:
...Symptoms and Diagnosis

The main symptoms result from hypercalcemia. Anorexia, nausea, and vomiting can develop, often followed by polyuria, polydipsia, weakness, nervousness, pruritus, and eventually renal failure. Proteinuria, urinary casts, azotemia, and metastatic calcifications (particularly in the kidneys) can develop.

A history of excessive vitamin D intake may be the only clue differentiating vitamin D toxicity from other causes of hypercalcemia. Elevated serum Ca levels of 12 to 16 mg/dL (3 to 4 mmol/L) are a constant finding when toxic symptoms occur. Serum 25(OH)D levels are usually elevated >150 ng/mL (>375 nmol/L). Levels of 1,25(OH)2D, which need not be measured to confirm the diagnosis, may be normal.

Serum Ca should be measured often (weekly at first, then monthly) in all patients receiving large doses of vitamin D, particularly the potent 1,25(OH)2D...

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec01/ch004/ch004k.html
The only words that I am clueless about the meaning of are these 'P' words: polyuria, polydipsia, pruritus, and Proteinuria,
  #188   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 20:22

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
The only words that I am clueless about the meaning of are these 'P' words: polyuria, polydipsia, pruritus, and Proteinuria,

I guess they mean it causes alliteration!
  #189   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 23:01

Plan: High fat LC
Stats: 437/349/134 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:Next/Goal/350
Progress: 29%
Default P words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

Polyuria Pees a lot
Polydipsia Excessive thirst, drinks a lot
Pruritus Itchy
Proteinuria Protein in the urine

I kept hoping 40 years of being a medical transcriptionist would pay off some day!
  #190   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 23:34

Plan: None
Stats: -/-/- Male 190 cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:

I don't know why you take so much? This level is not physiologic. We are not meant to handle such an amount over a long time. Even in sunny countriy, we can't get such levels.

And there's no vitamin D researcher who has ever advocated to go this high.
Even if there's no hypercalcemia, you can't know what's happening inside you. There's (at least) a high risk of vascular calcification, which can happen without any symptomatic hypercalcemia...
  #191   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 02:55

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

From Science Daily Online:

Quote:
Understanding The Anticancer Effects Of Vitamin D3

ScienceDaily (July 7, 2009) — The active form of vitamin D3 seems to have anticancer effects. To try and understand the mechanisms underlying these effects, researchers previously set out to identify genes whose expression in a human colon cancer cell line was altered by the active form of vitamin D3.

One gene identified in this previous study was CST5, which is responsible for making the protein cystatin D. Now, a team of researchers, at the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas-Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain, and the Universidad de Oviedo, Spain, has studied this protein in detail and determined that it has tumor suppressor activity that likely accounts for some of the anticancer effects of the active form of vitamin D3.

The team, led by Alberto Muñoz and Carlos López-Otín, initially established that the active form of vitamin D3 directly activates the CST5 gene in human colon cancer cell lines, increasing levels of cystatin D protein. Functionally, cystatin D was shown to inhibit the growth of human colon cancer cells lines in vitro and when they were xenotransplanted into mice. As knocking down expression of cystatin D in human colon cancer cell lines rendered them unresponsive to the antiproliferative effects of the active form of vitamin D3, the authors conclude that CST5 is a candidate tumor suppressor gene and that it mediates a large proportion of the anticancer effects of the active form of vitamin D3. These data provide rationale for clinical trials examining the preventive and therapeutic potential of the active form of vitamin D3 in colon cancer.

Journal reference:

Cystatin D is a candidate tumor suppressor gene induced by vitamin D in human colon cancer cells. Journal of Clinical Investigation, July 6, 2009

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...90706171500.htm
  #192   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 06:42
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspof
I don't know why you take so much? This level is not physiologic. We are not meant to handle such an amount over a long time. Even in sunny countriy, we can't get such levels.

And there's no vitamin D researcher who has ever advocated to go this high.
Even if there's no hypercalcemia, you can't know what's happening inside you. There's (at least) a high risk of vascular calcification, which can happen without any symptomatic hypercalcemia...
I don't really want to be >300 or even >200. I tend to go overboard during winter trying to alleviate SAD symptoms and depression.
  #193   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 12:18

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Quote:
I don't really want to be >300 or even >200. I tend to go overboard during winter trying to alleviate SAD symptoms and depression.
I can relate, Z. Although I don't do so with higher levels of D, as it can throw off my A, as I have A handling, storage, and utilization issues since being on Accutane (as you're well aware). Are you still using bright/blue light therapy? For me, blue light produces big results that D3 alone is not capable of producing. I truly believe that D3 & bright/full-spectrum/blue light therapy are synergistic to the hypothalamus (the conductor to the orchestra).
  #194   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 12:47
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayppers
I can relate, Z. Although I don't do so with higher levels of D, as it can throw off my A, as I have A handling, storage, and utilization issues since being on Accutane (as you're well aware). Are you still using bright/blue light therapy? For me, blue light produces big results that D3 alone is not capable of producing. I truly believe that D3 & bright/full-spectrum/blue light therapy are synergistic to the hypothalamus (the conductor to the orchestra).
I have a Sunbox junior light that is for SAD. I use it every morning until 10-11 am.

I'll have to look into the blue light.

I am now on a CPAP machine as well and that helps me sleep.
  #195   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 13:45

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

If it is full-spectrum, it should contain some degree of the blue light in the range of the blue light therapy ones. The blue lights (like the one I have from Phillips, formerly Apollo Health) are just 100% isolated to the nm range that has been found to be the sweet spot in impacting the hypothalamus and influencing circadian rhythm, SAD, depression, etc. But I believe that the other bands in the spectrum also have influences beyond that of just the blue light bands. For example, all of the chakras are color sensitive to different colors in the spectrum of the rainbow - from brain to reproductive organs... No wonder the full spectrum light of sunlight is so healing and revitalizing to the body!

I should note that the light is very effective for me. I notice striking differences in things like nail growth & strength, energy, etc. (it is stimulant like for me). It almost works too well... I think I'm going to have to cut back a little as it is keeping me up too much (but not making me sleepy the next day - it's like its normalizing things). I'd compare it to consuming caffeine, but without the negative side effects and anything that doesn't feel right with caffeine and stimulant substances. It's like nature's coffee, the way it is really meant to be. Coffee/caffeine is really just a cheap substitute for obtaining sufficient quality light exposure.

Last edited by Jayppers : Tue, Jul-07-09 at 14:50.