Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 14:26

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Lere
You are talking apples and oranges. You are correct that sunscreen use won't affect the current serum concentrations of concentrations of vitamin D. That's not the point. That level of vitamin D is already in the system.

What sunscreen does is prevent up to 95% of vitamin D generation through the skin. And that means though you have vitamin D in your system, you won't add to it or replace the amount you use up which leads to depletion and deficiency.

Ah, and the use of suncreen did decrease 25-hydroxvitamin D levels...just not enough to induce secondary hyperparthyroidism.
Those of us here know that levels required to ensure parathyroid function are very low and easily corrected...much higher levels are required for preventive and optimum health.

And regards the nursing home residents...do you have that cite?

I'm assuming if they were 100+, they grew up in a much less modern era and were probably vitamin D replete growing up. Add to that organic produce, physical labor, outside work, Mediterranean environment, etc. and I'm not surprised at their longevity and health.

Yeah, my mom is in a nursing home, temporarily, and I bet you won't find many patients there who make it past 85. If they do make it to 85, they don't know it.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 14:29

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Deb34, I am curious as to how did the sun affect you before? Did you burn easily?
  #138   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 14:52

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

I never used to burn at all when I was a kid, I tanned really dark, really fast.

Then in my mid-20's I was officially diagnosed PCOS etc and have been getting progressive paler and burning since then.

Last spring, my skintone changed slightly more golden and I thought i was on the road to getting my D levels back. I was scared to take D during the summer so I stopped until last November when I began again. I've taken D regularly since then but my skintone has become pale again and burned recently. I guess I'll just continue with the D over the summer and see if I can built a sun tolerance....
  #139   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 14:53
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lere
Hutchinson, '"55ng 137.5nmol/l" ?

I think you meant to say ' 55ng/mL or 137.5nmol/L' .
I think to intelligent people my meaning is clear enough.
Quote:
I'm interested in how much you take to attain and maintain such a level?[/url] I live at latitude 52 on a cloudy part of the country. So full body sun exposure is not possible for much of the year. I take 5000iu/d D3 and try to get 20~30mins full body sun exposure when the wind/cloud permits. I check my 25(OH)D twice yearly and have managed to keep it around 60ng for a couple of years now.

[quote]
"Maybe evolving naked living outdoors" would be significant if we maximized vitamin D production - but we don't. Like I said 'D' synthesis stops after 20 minutes of near full body exposure.
Indeed that is why I suggest people restrict sun exposure to 20~30mins and then cover up go indoors cool off allow the d3 to absorb and then repeat with another 20~30minute session.

Quote:
And there are other limiting mechanisms. Think I'm making it up? You really need to read the references provided at the posts I've linked to.
I don't think you have supported your case with sufficient up to date relevant information. I don't see why I should waste my time following links which have no value or interest to me. If you thought they were worth my consideration you would present them here and I will then explain why each particular link may be regarded with skepticism.

Quote:
"Harmful effects probably appear at sustained levels as low as 130 nmol/L."
SHOW ME THE EVIDENCE?
I have shown you the reason's why I believe 137.5nmol/l is associated with least chronic disease incidence
There are sufficient links on that chart to
All Cancers: Lappe JM, et al. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;85:1586-91.
Breast: Garland CF, Gorham ED, Mohr SB, Grant WB, Garland FC.
Breast cancer risk according to serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D: Meta-analysis of Dose-Response (abstract).American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting, 2008.
Reference serum 25(OH)D was 5 ng/ml. Garland, CF, et al. Amer Assoc Cancer Research Annual Mtg, April 2008,.
Colon: Gorham ED, et al. Am J Prev Med. 2007;32:210-6.
Diabetes: Hyppönen E, et al. Lancet 2001;358:1500-
Endometrium: Mohr SB, et al. Prev Med. 2007;45:323-4. Falls: Broe KE, et al. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007;55:234-9.
Fractures: Bischoff-Ferrari HA, et al. JAMA. 2005;293:2257-64.
Heart Attack: Giovannucci et al. Arch Intern Med/Vol 168 (No 11) June 9, 2008.
Multiple Sclerosis: Munger KL, et al. JAMA. 2006;296:2832-8.
Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma: Purdue MP, et al.
Cancer Causes Control. 2007;18:989-99.
Ovary: Tworoger SS, et al. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007;16:783-8. Renal: Mohr SB, et al. Int J Cancer. 2006;119:2705-9.
Rickets: Arnaud SB, 33% 54% 46%
Now if you have evidence to support your claim that 130nmol/l is dangerous where are your links to support your claim?
  #140   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 15:04
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
From the Vitamin D council website:-
"When researchers went to an Italian nursing home, they found that 99 of 104 residents had no detectable vitamin D in their blood,"

Bad news for these people ?

All of the 104 resident were over 98 years old!

I hate to think what would have happened if they'd been keeping their vitamin D levels 'normal' or, God forbid, at 137.5nmol/L.
Indeed it is possible to keep people alive and in pain and needing 24hr care without any cognitive ability or physical energy. Such is the miracle of modern medicine we can achieve and maintain live without any quality whatsoever.

Quote:
"High vitamin D intake is associated with brain lesions in elderly subjects, possibly as a result of vascular calcification (Payne et al., 2007).
This always has me in fits of hysterics to think anyone can have been taken in by such a dumb piece of research. Now think why would anyone conduct a study spending hundreds of $ on MRI scans and not use a cheap $40 25(OH)D test to show what status those people actually had. Diet only represents 10% of your vitamin D intake. Only a fool would assess vitamin d status from a food diary.
You will have to do better than that if you want me to stop laughing at you.

Quote:
Genetically modified mice with high vitamin D levels show signs of premature aging: retarded growth, osteoporosis, atherosclerosis, ectopic calcification, immunological deficiency, skin and general organ atrophy, hypogonadism, and short lifespan (Tuohimaa, 2009).

Higher serum vitamin D concentrations are associated with longer leukocyte telomere length in women

It would be helpful if you could provide clickable links to the research you are relying on.
  #141   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 15:38
Registered Member

BF:

Frailty and Chronic Kidney Disease: The Third National Health and Nutrition Evaluation Surveyanother report indicating that low vitamin D status is a marker for Frailty and Chronic Kidney Disease:
  #142   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 17:00

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

The thing I don't get is the motivation to try and scare people off of D? Why make us afraid to go in the sun? Why convince people anything over 400IU can give you an overdose?

???????????????
  #143   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 17:01

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Quote:
"High vitamin D intake is associated with brain lesions in elderly subjects, possibly as a result of vascular calcification (Payne et al., 2007).

Quote:
This always has me in fits of hysterics to think anyone can have been taken in by such a dumb piece of research. Now think why would anyone conduct a study spending hundreds of $ on MRI scans and not use a cheap $40 25(OH)D test to show what status those people actually had. Diet only represents 10% of your vitamin D intake. Only a fool would assess vitamin d status from a food diary. You will have to do better than that if you want me to stop laughing at you.
Agreed. Additionally, those of us who are more well versed in traditional diets and Price & Masterjohn's research are aware of the synergistic protection provided by the other fat soluble nutrients, namely vitamins A & K2, both of which are shown to protect against inappropriate calcification in the system in the presence of even very large doses of vitamin D. It isn't just D toxicity or 'high D', it's an imbalance of the other synergistic nutrients that causes the negative affects of too much of one individual vitamin or nutritional substance. (I know I sound a little like a broken record). Please try to cast your gaze past these vacuum studies.

Last edited by Jayppers : Tue, Jun-30-09 at 17:16.
  #144   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 17:14

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Quote:
Not good sportsmanship to cherry pick, but understandable. Not at all kosher to omit the entire story.
Agreed... You simply cannot look at a static study like this at one moment in time and draw a farfetched conclusion that no detectable vitamin D in the blood, thus having low or non-existent vitamin D levels, equates to centenarian-like longevity. So much of these individual's life picture is omitted from the story it is unintelligent to review such a correlation and associate it directly with causation, but then also believe it and pass it off as bible.

I'm half disappointed in myself that I am replying to such posts that are geared not towards attempting to educate us with an open mind, with our best health interests in mind, but which rather seem to be written only in the spirit of debate and allowing you to try and confirm your opinions and reassure yourself of your probable shaky confidence in your own conclusions. It seems to me that should you be completely convinced of your positions, you wouldn't feel the need to strike debate with others and reassure your own insecurity in your convictions, as you would be able to rest comfortably, confidently, and quietly that you were correct. The tone of your posts scream of a motive to prove others wrong and create conflict above trying to educate and inform professionally.

I'd like to request that you please do your best to form well cited and constructive inquiries and really question your motives before considering posting here in this thread again, rather than flashing random isolated quotations of specific studies just for the sake of trying to express that D is bad in an attempt to dissuade us from pursuing continual D adequacy. We're all about being open-minded to unconventional viewpoints, but not when they come off as poorly substantiated scare tactics. Shotgunning us here with multiple blog posts and study references and debate topics makes for a difficult time for (some of) us to respond to you thoroughly and timely.

Regards...
  #145   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 18:05
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 232/219/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default My conscience is clear.

Zuleikaa,
Sunscreen doesn't make any real difference to vitamin D levels according to the expert who cited the study.

Hutchinson,
The world authority on vitamin D is Dr. Vieth , he uses nmol/L. There are always people who get mixed up between units and you were hardly helping by using an idiosyncratic abbreviation; it was far from clear - to me at least - what was meant. Luckily the posts I linked to in my first comment have 'clickable links' in the text references which can be easily consulted. I have posted links to the text and there are links to the references in the essays, look there to find things like this -
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/69/5/842

Is anyone seriously suggesting that if the Italian centenarians had attained and maintained 'normal' (high) serum vitamin D levels, which would require supplementing, they would not be close to death at 100 years old. I agree with that actually: I think they would be long since dead. If I am lucky enough to reach 85 I'd like to have the vitamin d level of a 50 year old; that would mean I was in excellent health. But I wouldn't force my levels up by year round ingestion of an amount of vitamin D that has no precedent in the circumstances we all evolved in.

No Inuit ever got 5000 IU a day for more than a month; it would only be possible when there was a salmon run. And you are backing this up with a sunbathing technique that may short circuit the 'D' synthesis limiting mechanism resulting in several times more 'D' than nature intended per session. Why do you think that limit hasn't been removed by natural selection? I think that it's because the people who had the vitamin D limiting trait tended to survive more than those who lacked it.

The point about African Americans is that their bone health is BETTER than other people's despite the fact their levels of the form of vitamin D that is commonly measured is lower.

There is someone on this thread talking about more than doubling their already terrifyingly high dose of vitamin D. My conscience is clear.
  #146   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 01:27

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
hello folks, just dropping in to get your thoughts on my condundrum. I have PCOS and other health issues so from January i've been taking D3 25000 IU about 4 times per week to the present. I can't afford and my doctor won't test my D levels so I'm going by symptom inprovement. Last year I did great and felt great doing that amount of D for about 4 months and then going off until November 2008.

I upped my dose from Jan 2009 thinking it would help me get over fatigue, body, bone and joint pain as well as the PCOS stuff. I also wanted to get a head start to prevent sunburn when warm weather started and so I thought a good 5 months at this dose would suit me fine. I also take 400-600mg magnesium per day and occasionally some potassium. I can't take too much potassium because of my PCOS medications but I will once in a while to make sure it can work with the D and Mag.

So, I had the chance to spend some time in the sun recently and so I did. I was out for about an hour and I burned my neck and chest and everything else didn't change colour at all!

What am I missing or doing wrong that I burned at this dosage? I'm thinking of going to 50 000 IU per day ....what do you all think?

Hi there Deb!

50,000 IUs a day??? Is that a typo???

This Lere person seems to be intent on hijacking this thread for his anti-vitamin D rants, which is really annoying!!! It means that queries like yours are kind of disappearing under all the verbal volleying here...

At any rate, going up to 50,000 a day is too much, methinks, just as a concerned citizen who's read this and that about vitamin D. The "normal" amount recommended is 5,000 per day.

Also, it is recommended that when you go out in the sun, that you don't let yourself get sunburnt! If you go out in the midday sun, about half an hour should be more than ample. Turn yourself round regularly and inspect your skin - if it's going pink, then go inside or cover up.

Did you fall asleep outside???

Take care,

amanda
  #147   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 02:22

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

From PhysOrg.com:

Quote:
Vitamin D deficiency is widespead and on the increase

June 30th, 2009

A new report issued by the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) and published in the scientific journal Osteoporosis International, shows that populations across the globe are suffering from the impact of low levels of vitamin D. The problem is widespread and on the increase, with potentially severe repercussions for overall health and fracture rates.

Compiled by IOF's expert working group on nutrition, the report reviews the scope and causes of low vitamin D levels in six regions: Asia, Europe, Latin America, Middle East and Africa, North America and Oceania. Regional reports are available on the IOF website

Vitamin D is mainly produced in the skin upon exposure to sunlight, and, to a lesser extent, is derived from nutritional sources. It plays an important role, through its influence on calcium levels, in the maintenance of organ systems, and is needed for normal bone mineralization and growth. Suboptimal levels of vitamin D may lead to increased risk of osteoporosis and hip fracture and, in severe cases, to the development of rickets, a softening of bones in children that can lead to skeletal fractures and deformity.

Although there is ongoing debate as to what constitutes the optimal level of vitamin D, the report shows that regardless of whether it is defined at 50nmol/L or 75nmol/L, vitamin D status is seriously inadequate in large proportions of the population across the globe.

The main risk factors for low vitamin D levels include older age, female sex, lower latitudes, winter season, darker skin pigmentation, less sunlight exposure, dietary habits, and the absence of vitamin D fortification in common foods. Further factors include the increase in urbanization, where people tend to live and work indoors, as well as cultural practices that tend towards sun avoidance and the wearing of traditional clothing that covers the skin. The severity of the problem in Middle East and South Asia arises from the combination of several of these risk factors.

These findings suggest that prevention strategies must be initiated at the national level - especially given the increasing ageing of populations in many regions of the world. National plans of action should encourage safe, limited exposure to sunlight and improved dietary intake of vitamin D, whilst considering fortification of foods as well.

More information:

1. A. Mithal, D.A. Wahl, J-P. Bonjour et al. on behalf of the IOF Committee of Scientific Advisors (CSA) Nutrition Working Group. Global vitamin D status and determinants of hypovitaminosis D (2009) Osteoporosis International, in press.

2. Regional reports for Asia, Europe, Latin America, Middle East and Africa, North America and Oceania may be downloaded free of charge from the IOF website on http://www.iofbonehealth.org/health...deficiency.html

Source: International Osteoporosis Foundation

http://www.physorg.com/news165588740.html
  #148   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 02:56
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Sunscreen doesn't make any real difference to vitamin D levels according to the expert who cited the study.
Chronic sunscreen use decreases circulating concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D. A preliminary study.

Quote:
The world authority on vitamin D is Dr. Vieth , he uses nmol/L. There are always people who get mixed up between units and you were hardly helping by using an idiosyncratic abbreviation; it was far from clear - to me at least - what was meant.
But most of the people reading this forum are from the USA where the standard unit is ng/mL however most USA posters and those who have their 25(OH)D tested as part of the grassrootshealth trial

Quote:
Is anyone seriously suggesting that if the Italian centenarians had attained and maintained 'normal' (high) serum vitamin D levels, which would require supplementing, they would not be close to death at 100 years old. I agree with that actually: I think they would be long since dead. If I am lucky enough to reach 85 I'd like to have the vitamin d level of a 50 year old; that would mean I was in excellent health. But I wouldn't force my levels up by year round ingestion of an amount of vitamin D that has no precedent in the circumstances we all evolved in.
There was no precedent for suggesting that people avoid sunlight and apply sunscreens. The consequence of that policy has been ever increasing levels of cancer and heart disease. The people who profit from current sun avoidance policies are those who sell the medical treatments required to keep people alive without adequate 25(OH)D status. Go check the number of medications most people over 65 take daily and compare that with the numbers taken by people the same age with adequate vitamin d status?
In fact it would be helpful if you participated in the Grassrootshealth trial as having some people determined to avoid sensible levels of supplementation would prove the point that those with lower 25(OH)D status indeed are more likely to be hospitalized.
  #149   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 03:06
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
From PhysOrg.com:Although there is ongoing debate as to what constitutes the optimal level of vitamin D, the report shows that regardless of whether it is defined at 50nmol/L or 75nmol/L, vitamin D status is seriously inadequate in large proportions of the population across the globe.

YouTube - Whats a Vitamin D Deficiency? 50nmol/l and 75nmol/l are both deficiency states and neither are regarded as optimal by most vitamin D scientists.
Bone Mineral Density for most white skinned people isn't at it's optimal until 32ng/mL 80nmol/l is reached. However Heaney explains it far better in his video.
Having a store of D3 available enables most people to fight chronic disease better, as the body only acquires adequate stores above 50ng/ml 125nmol/l it is far more reasonable to regard 50~60ng/mL 125~150nmol/l as optimal than either 50~75nmol/l at which markers of ill health are measurable.
  #150   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 05:55
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 232/219/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Final Word

My source re. sunscreen can be found through the links I posted in my first comment, here it is anyway.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/h...7real.html?_r=1

One would need to avoid the shade as well as the sun to lower 'D'

""Dr. Turnbull, working with Dr. Kimlin in Australia, showed that UVB light in the shade is strong enough to activate vitamin D production in the skin. Think of UVB as a ping-pong ball. It bounces off lots of things. When you go into the sun—if the sun is high enough in the sky—UVB light comes through the atmosphere and then starts bouncing around. It bounces at you from the ground, buildings, cars, and even the bottom of clouds. Sitting under a shade tree delivered about half as much UVB as sitting in the direct sun. Furthermore, the damaging UVA radiation under direct sun was three times more than under the shade tree. Sitting in the shade in the summer (and the winter in subtropical and tropical latitudes) is a good way to get vitamin D." (Vitamin D Council)

The grassrootshealth trial seems to be well designed, I have read that they suggest 2000 IU a day for those who are trying to raise levels. Some people might be healthier on 2000IU/d - if that meant them reducing from 5000IU /d.