Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 17:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Jorey, I remember you from Atkins..we started at the same time. Congrats on the four pounds, though not much protein for a big guy.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 17:33

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoreyTK
I've been doing Atkins since August 2010.

That's good. Just wondered if your loss was the initial water weight we all have when we start. Probably not if you've been at it that long.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 17:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Please get her off that lamb/oatmeal food. Can you get her back on the other one?

She's off the lamb/oatmeal as of tonight. I'm not going back to the other right now, because she didn't do well on it.

Quote:
Tea tree oil can be found in a local health food store.

Picked some up on the way home from work this evening.

Quote:
You can also give her Benadryl or generic, depending on her weight, 25 mgs for a 20-40 lbs dog for the itching.

Yeah, I've been giving her Benadryl. She's a big girl. 125 lbs last time I had her weighed at the vet. And I think she's put on weight since then.
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 17:57
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
She's off the lamb/oatmeal as of tonight. I'm not going back to the other right now, because she didn't do well on it.

Picked some up on the way home from work this evening.

Yeah, I've been giving her Benadryl. She's a big girl. 125 lbs last time I had her weighed at the vet. And I think she's put on weight since then.

at 125 lbs, you can give her 50 mgs of Benadryl.
If you can find the Natural Balance, I've had great success with it for my dogs and many of my client's dogs.
Good that you take her off that food!
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 19:33

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Hi Costello22,

I understand now about the Volek-Phinney protein calculations, and you're right: it seems very high. I used Jenny Ruhl's macronutrient calculator to determine my protein requirements.
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 20:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
Hi Costello22,

I understand now about the Volek-Phinney protein calculations, and you're right: it seems very high. I used Jenny Ruhl's macronutrient calculator to determine my protein requirements.

Volek-Phinney calculations that have been seen in this thread are for maintaining weight..... if you have more to lose you should be on lower calories, including lower protein and lower fat because you are burning the fat in the body for the extra energy. There are four stages to Volek and Phinney's way of eating, Induction, Weight Loss, Pre-Maintenance, and Maintenance. Remember, they helped rewrite A New Atkins for a New You.

I think what this should bring out for someone who is at a low number of calories and carbs but has stalled or even gained, the amount of PROTEIN in the menu needs to be looked at very carefully and maybe reduced.

Last edited by Aradasky : Fri, Jul-27-12 at 09:31.
  #97   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 02:08

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

I'm at 0.4 this morning. I did have a couple non-planned things late in the evening, and by that I mean LC ones, just not high fat, so that could have caused it. No more. The strips are too expensive to waste by cheating.

Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be in the actual groove.
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 05:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
Volek-Phinney calculations that have been seen in this thread ar for maitaining weight.....

Thanks for the clarification.
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 05:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
The strips are too expensive to waste by cheating.

Motivation!
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 06:10

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

Exactly, Costello, exactly...!
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 07:09
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Various people have mentioned the price of blood testing for ketones. It's not necessarily as high as Jimmy Moore's blog suggests.

I'm a type 2 diabetic and I have a Nova Max Plus meter that measures both blood sugar and ketones. This meter can be found online at places like Amazon for less than $10. The ketone strips are available from the American Diabetes Wholesale site (which is misnamed because it's also retail direct to any consumer who buys online, no prescription needed) for $23.99 for 10 strips. They also have combo packs, such as meter and ketone strips for about $30 or meter, ketone strips, and 50 glucose strips for about $39 (which is what I purchased a few months ago). They have flat shipping of $3.95 for the entire purchase or free shipping for orders over $100.

There are probably other diabetes supply websites with similar or maybe even lower prices. I'm not trying to promote any supplier, but just saying that there are relatively low prices if you look around. Ketone testing is still $2-3 per test, but it's not as pricey as some might think. If you go with Nova Max, make sure to get the "Plus" style because the regular Nova Max meter tests only blood sugar.

By the way, the Nova Max meters are also good deals for blood glucose testing because the price of their glucose strips is among the lowest around. My Nova Max Plus gives blood sugar values that are in line with measurements from my other meters, so I think it's accurate, at least for glucose.

I've tested my ketones a few times over the past 2 months. The level has never been higher than 0.3 for me and that was after several days of eating about 30 g carb per day and low protein.

Last edited by CarolynC : Fri, Jul-27-12 at 07:23.
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 09:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
Various people have mentioned the price of blood testing for ketones. It's not necessarily as high as Jimmy Moore's blog suggests.

I'm a type 2 diabetic and I have a Nova Max Plus meter that measures both blood sugar and ketones. This meter can be found online at places like Amazon for less than $10. The ketone strips are available from the American Diabetes Wholesale site (which is misnamed because it's also retail direct to any consumer who buys online, no prescription needed) for $23.99 for 10 strips. They also have combo packs, such as meter and ketone strips for about $30 or meter, ketone strips, and 50 glucose strips for about $39 (which is what I purchased a few months ago). They have flat shipping of $3.95 for the entire purchase or free shipping for orders over $100.

There are probably other diabetes supply websites with similar or maybe even lower prices. I'm not trying to promote any supplier, but just saying that there are relatively low prices if you look around. Ketone testing is still $2-3 per test, but it's not as pricey as some might think. If you go with Nova Max, make sure to get the "Plus" style because the regular Nova Max meter tests only blood sugar.

By the way, the Nova Max meters are also good deals for blood glucose testing because the price of their glucose strips is among the lowest around. My Nova Max Plus gives blood sugar values that are in line with measurements from my other meters, so I think it's accurate, at least for glucose.

I've tested my ketones a few times over the past 2 months. The level has never been higher than 0.3 for me and that was after several days of eating about 30 g carb per day and low protein.

Wow, good news CarolynC. Thank you. I am going to post this in my experiment thread and investigate.
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 10:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanks for that Carolyn. I got the NovaMax Plus kit with 10 glucose and 2 ketone strips recently for free, somehow through a link that was posted around the time Jimmy started his experiment. Have started to test my reaction to various foods, so glad you think this brand is accurate. And after price searching the web, I ordered the glucose strips from the same supplier you sugggested.

Arlene, I have been keeping protein around 80g and carbs around 40. On the first try with one of the two free ketone strips, mine was .6. Been strict with my eating in that range for a week or so now...no weight loss
Not sure even nutrional ketosis will work for a long-time low carber.
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 12:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC

Not to try to one up you, but I think the WalMart Relion is actually substantially cheaper for strips. I think I pay $20 for a box of 50.

Yow! There's a new ReliOn meter and the strips are $10 for 50!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Pr...s-50ct/20752265
  #105   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 15:14

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260

I got the Novamax Plus meter for free the other day. Then got ripped off at the drugstore for a batch of glucose test strips. I'll definitely order on line from now on.

Here's where you can order the free meter Link

For the squeamish among you who think you could never do this kind of testing on yourself I'd urge you to at least give it a try. The lancets they provide are so tiny I can honestly say it's virtually painless to do this, and you just don't get any more cowardly than me. I will say that it's sometimes hard to get enough blood from the tiny wound and I worry about what I've read about needing much more blood for the ketone testing.

Haven't ordered ketone strips yet. Still mulling over the cost. Does anyone know if there's a Relion ketone test meter?