Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#451   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 17:56
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Well, possibly so, but I think any answer that requires an exception be considered a freak of nature that doesn't apply to the question as a result, is usually not a reasonable answer.

The problem here is three fold I figure. First, as joedoro says, you can't test the hypothesis, since there is a pat answer for any negative; that isn't science, it's religion (but it works really well for that application!). Second, as ceberezin says, issues like insulin resistance are too often evaluated or complicated by the side effects that the issue itself created. But third, and I think this is equally a problem, is that there are just too damned many variables going on.

I mean, it may be that "stand-alone" -- out of context -- that chronic high carb eating is/does/would damage every human being. BUT there may be some OTHER factor that mitigates at least some degree of it. In fact there may be several, and in combination, that might mean that that person could live to be 200, live on cheerios and cigarettes, and never get fat, diabetic, or cancerous.

I think scientifically we're just still at too new a stage of learning in many respects, to be able to test all the zillion possible things in the body that could modify, mitigate or ameliorate the effect of one thing we 'think' we know: that chronic overcarbing causes problems.

PJ
Sponsored Links
  #452   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 18:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/140/140 Male 68
BF:18%
Progress:

Correct. The problem with the hypothesis that I am trying to articulate is that insulin resistance is cumulative. Over what period do we have to see the relative increase in insulin resistance to be certain we are registering the effect? I suppose that if we can measure elementary particles that exist only for a billionth of a second, we ought to be able to measure small increases in insulin resistance over short periods of time.

I would argue that Cricket's fortunate relatives seemed free from the effects of insulin resistance but were probably not free from insulin resistance itself. The difference is important. We need an absolute measure of insulin resistance, not a measure of its effects, to test the hypothesis. Had they eaten low carb, they probably would have lived to 120. Perhaps we could enlist Cricket's daughter in a study of her insulin resistance at baseline and then check it again 90 years from now, if we could interrupt her tennis game at that time.
  #453   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 18:20
Every moment is NOW.

LOL!

Is there no way to test for insulin-resistance, other than by its side-effects??

PJ
  #454   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 18:39

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Surely insulin resistance doesn't start all at once, but is a slow accumulation of markers like slightly elevated insulin coupled with slightly slowed reduction in blood sugar.
  #455   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 19:22
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Those people are pretty few and far between. This is why I wonder about that whole bit about finding one person who doesn't fit the hypothesis and you have to discard the entire theory. People are complex cocktails of proteins and hormones and no two are the same. You might just have someone with a fairly rare set of genes that is an exception to something that might otherwise be a rule.

.........Lance Armstrong comes to mind.........
  #456   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 19:36

Plan: just no carbs
Stats: 203/182/149 Male 66.5 inches
BF:31/25/15
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceberezin
Correct. The problem with the hypothesis that I am trying to articulate is that insulin resistance is cumulative. Over what period do we have to see the relative increase in insulin resistance to be certain we are registering the effect? I suppose that if we can measure elementary particles that exist only for a billionth of a second, we ought to be able to measure small increases in insulin resistance over short periods of time.

I would argue that Cricket's fortunate relatives seemed free from the effects of insulin resistance but were probably not free from insulin resistance itself. The difference is important. We need an absolute measure of insulin resistance, not a measure of its effects, to test the hypothesis. Had they eaten low carb, they probably would have lived to 120. Perhaps we could enlist Cricket's daughter in a study of her insulin resistance at baseline and then check it again 90 years from now, if we could interrupt her tennis game at that time.

I can concede the point if we want to look at inuslin resistance as a cumultive but the problem then gets shifted to clinical effects. Meaning that if insulin resistance is cumulative then some people might live a "normal" lifespan before suffering from the cumulative effects and dying from something else unrelated to insulin resistance. Somewhow I have a problem with that because if sugar was so bad for us then why would evolution allowed sweet receptors on our tongues to persist? I would have thought it would have gotten rid of it early on.

Surely you are not suggesting that in the absence of carbohydrates one would live indefinitely?
  #457   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Those people are pretty few and far between. This is why I wonder about that whole bit about finding one person who doesn't fit the hypothesis and you have to discard the entire theory. People are complex cocktails of proteins and hormones and no two are the same. You might just have someone with a fairly rare set of genes that is an exception to something that might otherwise be a rule.

I can't tell you how many times when I was in practice that a well meaning child or grandchild would bring in an elderly parent or grandparent and ask me to convince them that their drinking, smoking or terrible diet and lack of exercise was causing them harm.

I mean, I've even seen 85 year olds that the cardiologists have put on a low fat diet!

I remember a program on Nova that looked at the longevity center at the Albert Eisenstein hospital in NY when they were interviewing the elederly that they had studied there. Other than a lack of smoking and a weak association with an elevated HDL, there were no other positive correlations with living to an old age other than genetics. Not diet, not exercise or anything else.

So don't discount genes.
  #458   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 19:49
Every moment is NOW.

Unless we do really have a vastly larger effect on our experiential reality based on state of mind than most realize. Then again that would probably be attributed to 'genetics' as it would be untrackable. But it would sure complicate investigating genetic lines to find the answer.

PJ
  #459   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
Unless we do really have a vastly larger effect on our experiential reality based on state of mind than most realize. Then again that would probably be attributed to 'genetics' as it would be untrackable. But it would sure complicate investigating genetic lines to find the answer.

PJ

PJ - sorry but what are yo referring to?
  #460   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 20:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/140/140 Male 68
BF:18%
Progress:

The point is not important enough to pursue. Only the Highlander can live forever. Focusing on the fortunate few just seems to me irrelevant. What pains me about this whole subject is that people have been denied information that could have prevented much misery and early death because of unscientific adherence to a never proven dogma. The more minute the argument, the greater the possibility of losing sight of that main point.
  #461   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 21:05
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoro
[QUOTE=cricket56]

Not at all - that's what I've been thinking. To me it appears that there are people who are seemed not to be harmed by carbs. Ceberezin, if I interpret him correctly, will feel that even though he lived long and appeared healthy, he probably had some degree of insulin resistance. And that's the point how long does soemone have to live apparantley free of resistance before you can say they really are

Thanks for the welcome. It seems to me as well, that diet was always mandated by what was available, and accessible. If the region was dense in forest and trees, then fruits and berries were more readily eaten and the meat was not primary. I don't know if early humans prefered to wait for carion rather than fruit if available. That would be high carb diet. People adapt to what survival dictates. That's evolution. If we believe in adaptation to the elements, then it seems possible that humans also adapted to high carb diets. The humans in areas of lesser fruit bearing vegetation and with animals, then naturally ate those. They would be more sensitive to the foriegn diet of sugars.
I do not think that everyone has the same genetic makeup to have the same eventual physical problems. Some are predisposed to illnesses and some are not. When I see my parents ( both passed within 13 days of each other )in their late nineties, and their siblings and parents well into 106-110 yrs of age without a problem and eating carbs like crazy, then I think it is heredity based on survival of the fittest. Their systems were evolved to deal with the foods available.That is what makes sense to me. I never gave this any thought before. It is a very thought provoking subject.
  #462   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-08, 08:44

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
If the region was dense in forest and trees, then fruits and berries were more readily eaten and the meat was not primary.

If the region is a dense forest with lots fruits and berries, these areas are also dense with edible wildlife like tasty delicious deer!
  #463   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-08, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceberezin
The point is not important enough to pursue. Only the Highlander can live forever. Focusing on the fortunate few just seems to me irrelevant. What pains me about this whole subject is that people have been denied information that could have prevented much misery and early death because of unscientific adherence to a never proven dogma. The more minute the argument, the greater the possibility of losing sight of that main point.

I agree about the misinformation, but I think this is a very important point because what the natural extension of you concern is that if everyone is eventually harmed by carbs then we need to switch the food supply in this country to one meat or other animal based. And that will have very significant consequences for the environment.

Being here in the midwest of the US, I can only imagine what doubling the meat supply would mean. Already we have bitter fights over large scale hog operations in Iowa. Have you ever been within a few miles of one? It's not very pleasant. And cattle feedlots are not much better. A good sized one produces as much sewerage that needs to be processed as a small city.. Get into Nebraska and eastern Colorado and the size of these are just amazing. Add in the depletion of fish stocks and the potential effects of climate change, and you are betting an awful lot on very little data.

Also, this beef is not the beef of 30 years ago when the low fat paradigm took off. These are cattle fed almost exclusively the same carbs that cause the problems in people. And the same thing that happens to people happens to them. hyperinuslinemia, inflammation,etc. So who knows what the long term effect of consumption of grain fed beef will be. That's why since going LC, we eat grass fed beef.

Now if your hypothesis is true, then we are acting appropriately, but if it isn't then we are guilty of doing exactly what the low fat people did years ago. That's why we need the data.
  #464   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-08, 10:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

We simply need to start eating bugs again. I don't think anyone would object to a large scale meal worm operation... except perhaps the people who worked there!
  #465   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-08, 11:40

Plan: Just no carbs
Stats: 149.6/149.4/128 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 1%

Apropos the evolution thread in this conversation, this article is interesting:

Quote:

Massive Genetic Study Supports "Out of Africa" Theory
John Roach
for National Geographic News
February 21, 2008

A massive new study of human genetic diversity reveals surprising insights into our species' evolution and migrations—including support for the theory that the first modern humans originated in Africa—scientists said today.

Researchers compared 650,000 genetic markers in nearly a thousand individuals from 51 populations around the globe—an unprecedented level of detail for a human genetic study.

"You get less and less variation the further you go from Africa," said Marcus Feldman, an evolutionary biologist at Stanford University in California and a study co-author.

Such a pattern fits the theory that the first modern humans settled the world in stepping-stone fashion after leaving Africa less than 100,000 years ago.

As each small group of people broke away to found a new region, it took only a sample of the parent population's genetic diversity.

"If you keep sampling like that, then mathematically you must lose variation," Feldman explained.

The research appears in tomorrow's issue of the journal Science.

Sharpest Detail Yet

The new study, as well as related research published yesterday in the journal Nature, offer the sharpest pictures to date for understanding variation in the human genome.

(Read "Europeans Less Genetically Diverse Than Africans" [February 20, 2008].)

Previous studies have looked only at a thousand or so genetic markers and compared them between three or four populations. The new studies examine hundreds of thousands of markers in dozens of populations.

"It's sort of like looking at Mars with the naked eye versus with a big, very powerful telescope," said Richard Myers, a geneticist and study co-author also from Stanford University.

The fine resolution, for example, shows a shared chunk of genes between the Yakut in northeastern Siberia and Native Americans, which fits the archaeological record of migration across the Bering Strait.

The study also found, for the first time, distinctions between the northern and southern Chinese populations and separated out various populations in Europe.

But perhaps even more striking, Myers said, is how similar humans are to each other. Some 90 percent of the genetic variation occurs within populations, not among them.

"That turns out to be very profound, because it's not like we've got these 51 populations that are different species," he said. "We're really, really close to each other."

In fact, there's no single genetic marker that identifies a person as French or Japanese or Papuan. Rather, patterns of thousands of these little markers within the group distinguish one population from the next.

"Those genes which we classically use like skin color and eye color and hair structure to differentiate what we commonly call races is a tiny fraction of all the variation there is," Feldman, the evolutionary biologist, noted.

Africa to the Middle East

Spencer Wells is a population geneticist and director of the Genographic Project, which is charting the migratory history of humans around the globe.

(The National Geographic Society, which owns National Geographic News, is a sponsor of the project.)

Wells, who was not involved in the research, said confirmation of an African origin for modern humans is "the most important story that comes out of this study."

In particular, the pattern of variation shows that the route of migration out of Africa was into the Middle East and then to the rest of Eurasia, the Americas, and Oceania, he pointed out.

"That tends to agree with what we're seeing on the Y-chromosome side," Wells said, referring to his genetic studies of male inheritance.

Populations in the Middle East have a unique signature of African, European, and Asian characteristics, Meyers, the geneticist, added.

"It looks like a gateway. You see a lot more mixture there ... that's one of the types of findings you get by looking at this level of detail," he said.

Ongoing Selection?

Henry Harpending is an anthropologist at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City who studies genes to understand the pace of evolution.

(Related: "Human Evolution Speeding Up, Study Says" [December 11, 2007])

While the new study is solid science, Harpending said he'd like to see the researchers address how natural selection has affected global human diversity.

In particular, he pointed out, he'd be interested in whether increased natural selection caused by new environments triggered humans to become less diverse—not just the small size of migrating groups.

"If there's a lot of selection going on, a new gene shows up, it's favored, and pretty soon it replaces the others and it drags the neighboring part of the chromosome with it," he said.

These "selective sweeps," he added, "destroy diversity" because the selection quickly inserts new genes in entire populations.

"In the last few years, we've discovered that a lot of the genome is under selection and that may be driving these patterns," he said.

Myers noted that his research team has made all of its data publicly available, meaning that other scientists are likely to use the information to perform all sorts of additional studies such as these.

"We're barely scratching the surface in what we're learning from this."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...f/10222901.html